Home
Posted By: Omega Coyote loads? - 11/27/01
I am interested in getting into coyote hunting, are there any good factory loads for a .270, thats the only gun I got at the moment. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Coyote loads? - 12/01/01
Remington's 100gr Pointed Soft Points.<P><BR>I don't think they'll stay in the coyote, but ought to thump them with authority.<P>Mike<P>Check out ballistics at Remington's webpage under Ammunition, then ballsitics.<P>Mike
Posted By: 45/70 marlin Re: Coyote loads? - 12/01/01
I occasionally use the 270 for coyote hunting and I use 100 grain handloads.I have no experience with factory 100 grain loads,but they should work well on coyotes.Also the 130 grain loads will be okay,but will have more recoil and a bit more destructive.
Posted By: big time Re: Coyote loads? - 12/02/01
if fur prices are good (doubtful), i'd find the lightest, most fragile bullet i could.<p>if fur prices are bad (probable), i'd thump 'em w/ my deer load.<p>savage 110 7 mag + 139 grain hornady @ 3300 fps + coyote = red mist!
Posted By: bumble Re: Coyote loads? - 12/02/01
Quite awhile back I used a .270 for Coyotes. I shot 19 that winter with it. I lost one hide out of the deal;shot him 3 times. I used the Hornady 140gr. Heck, use your regular ammo and see what happens.
Posted By: badger Re: Coyote loads? - 12/02/01
A shame you don't handload. Sierra's 90 grn Hollowpoint loaded to about 3780 fps is absolutely devastating. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] The lighter Ballistic Tips should also work although I'm not sure what the lightest factory offering would be. badger.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Coyote loads? - 12/03/01
The only one I've ever killed with my .270 was with 130gr Core-Lokts and it was pinholing! Just going through little to no expansion! I shot that joker 3 or 4 times.<p>FWIW,<p>Mike
Posted By: Omega Re: Coyote loads? - 12/03/01
I normally hunt deer with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions, I will try these but will also pick up some hundred grainers.
Posted By: gj Re: Coyote loads? - 01/12/02
Omega try:
<br>
<br>Hornady, Light Magnum blistic tipped 130gr 3100fps.
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: Coyote loads? - 01/12/02
I can second the recomendation for the 90 gr. Serria hollow point. They are very accurate.
<br>
<br>For coyotes with a FACTORY LOAD I would recommend that you shoot the same bullet you hunt deer with. You are not concerned with hide dammage so you may as well get in a lot of practical practice with your deer load. You will gain much confidence and know your rifles trajectory with your chosen load.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Coyote loads? - 01/12/02
I'd very much second PDS's opinion................
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Coyote loads? - 02/24/02
I don't think that 150 grain partions are a very good idea for coyotes. They are too hard and have too hi a sectional density. You will risk recochets, only poke small holes through them and lose out on the trajectory.
<br>
<br>What I would do is use a 100 grain controlled expansion bullet (such a the partition or X bullet) for deer.
<br>
<br>Then find a 100 grain bullet that will expand on a coyote and has a trajectory that matchs or is close to your deer hunting round.
© 24hourcampfire