Home
Posted By: Brett_Mc Sight in range for .223? - 11/22/08
What range do you guys sight your .223 rifles in? I am only gonna be shooting out to 400 yds with this rifle. Not dots or turrets.

Thanks,

Brett (Mac)
Posted By: RyanScott Re: Sight in range for .223? - 11/22/08
200 yards. It's like 9 inches low at 3. I forget how low at 4, it's been a while since I got out that far with one.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sight in range for .223? - 11/22/08
depends on your twist and the weight of bullets your rifle will shoot..

68, 69, 75 and 80 grain bullets can double the range compared to bullet weights of 40 to 55 grains...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Sight in range for .223? - 11/22/08
I thought I could contribute here, but clearly not. I never shoot anything at 400 yards, and wouldn't have a clue how to sight for that much range.

I sight my 50 VMaxes 1.5" high at 100 and simply don't shoot past 250. I aim at hair from muzzle to there.
BrettOOMac: I see you are from Oklahoma and I am guessing you will be Hunting Prairie Dogs with your 223?
On my 223's that I am using for Colony Varminting I START shooting Varmints at 200 and yards distant and go out to about 450 or so.
Thus I have them sighted "in" to be dead on at 200 yards (no matter which bullet I am using in a particular 223!
Then I refer to my drop charts that are pasted in my 223 cartridge case holders (MTM type boxes) lids for extended range holdovers!
If my assumption about your intended quarry is wrong then I suggest you sight in (be dead on!) for the "just past middle-range" of the shooting that you will be doing!
If your shots will be from 50 to 400 yards then I suggest that your sight in dead on range be 200 yards-ish - thus minimizing your hold overs and hold unders.
Good luck with the 223 - its a fine and all around useful Varminting tool.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Sight in range for .223? - 11/22/08
VarmintGuy:

This rifle will mainly be used for Coyotes, I said 400 yds because I live on the Red River and crows are always in the cut hay fields eating on something. Wouldn't mind popping one of them from long range like your Prairie Dogs (grin). I know that it takes a lot of practice to get proficient out to 400 yds so I will not be shooting at coyotes at that range for awhile... Thanks for the info, it helps alot.

Brett (Mac)
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sight in range for .223? - 11/24/08
Well if you set up a target at 400 yds in that field, and get your zero set for that... then being able to hit crows out there on a regular basis should become pretty easy...
Posted By: BMT Re: Sight in range for .223? - 11/24/08
FWIW:

I zero at 200, then verify Point of Impact at 25, 50, 100, 150, and 250.

BMT

© 24hourcampfire