Home
Picked up a Remington Sendero a few months ago, in .270 Winchester, and I am taking it out on Wed. for some coyote hunting.

I did a quick load development with some 130gr NBT over H4831sc, and no real surprise, it shot extremely well. 8 3-shot groups, and the average was .662" through the whole load development.

When I got the rifle, the former owner supplied a box of 90gr Sierra Varminter bullets as well, and since I have some H4895 laying around, I loaded those up as well. Average group size through that load development was .541".

POI virtually identical on both max loads, and accuracy right at .5" for each.

So now which one do I take on my hunt?
I see both as tearing some major holes in the coyote's hide...
I'd opt for the 130 NBT and use it for all comers. But, for many moons I shot the heck out of the 90's in a 270 and it worked very well even on lopes. My experience is that it is much more pelt friendly than the 130's so if you care at all about the hides (which most likely are way down hill at this time of year anywhere).

Bottom line, either will do you just fine.

Dober
Thanks guys.

130gr NBTs it is.
Friendlyfireisnt: Many - and I mean MANY years ago I had a friend with a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 270 Winchester.
Well he was always bragging up how well that Rifle shot and how far away he was killing Coyotes using those 90 grain Sierra bullets in it!
So I had just bought me a brand new (back when they were BRAND NEW!) Ruger Number 1-B in caliber 6mm Remington.
It's "fateful" serial number was 1,300!
I had a 4x12 Redfield scope on it and I was shooting groups well under an inch with it pretty regularly.
Back then that was good shooting with a factory Rifle.
So I challenge my friend to a shootout with our respective Rifles.
5 shot groups at 200 yards was agreed upon as the decider.
Well I was very proud of my "effort" that fateful day as my group (5 shots at 200 yards) measured just a hair over 1"!
Unfortunatley my friend and his sporter weight old Model 70 and the Sierra 90 grain bullets group (5 shots at 200 yards) was just under 1"!
Those 90 grain Sierra's out of a 270 have been shooting well and killing Coyotes for a LONG time!
Best of luck with your Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester.
I absolutely LOVE mine.
I have owned mine for many years now and have killed many Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, Coyotes and one 6x6 Bull Elk with mine.
Up til last week I had a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm variable scope on it and made one shot kills on Antelope out to 506 Leica lasered yards and Mule Deer out to just past 400 yards set up that way.
Last week I mounted a new Leupold Long Range 6.5x20x40mm (with 30mm tube and side parallax adjustment) scope on it.
Which scope do you have on your Sendero?
I also use the wonderful Nosler 130 grain Ballistic Tips in my 270 Rifle and H4831-SC powder - along with Federal brass and Federal Match Primers.
Again best of luck with that Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'd kind of like to try the 110 Accu's on yotes as well. Have a 27/08 in the works and it's the first slug that I'll try out of it...(yeah I know crazy isn't it)

Dober
years ago I shot jackrabbits with 90 gr. Herter h. p.'s and it really ruined their day. Never shot any coyotes with them. I have some 110 gr. v-max loaded for it now but haven't tried them yet.
When I first started loading the 140 AccuBonds for big game in my .270, I shot 7 coyotes with them to get an idea what the damage might be and how the bullet would perform on living flesh. I never recovered a bullet from any angle of shot which isn't surprising, but I was quite surprised at the fur-friendliness of the 140's. In several cases coyotes were shot at less less than 50 yards. A fifty-cent-sized exit was the norm and in many cases less fur damage than what a 22-250 would do.
Lonny, funny you should mention that. I used to use the 140 Horn quite a bit and poked some yotes with it and had the same type of fur friendlyness.

Dober
I don't even know if they still make 'em but Speer used to put put a 90 gr. FMJ, round nose. They reccomended it be shot at around 2500 fps. Boy, was it fur freindly... talk about "penciling" through.. eek
Only problem was Brer' Coyote didn't realize he'd been shot for about a quarter mile...
Ingwe
The very first coyote I ever shot was with a 270Win and 90grain hollow points. dont remember the brand of bullet because it was several decades ago but I still have a couple rounds of that ammo
and pulled a bullet and weighed it.
To this day it is the only coyote that I ever blew in half, not very fur friendly. these days I go with the accubonds and H4831.
B
I have a 270 WSM I have loaded up a bunch of 110 V-maxs that are moving at about 3,450 FPS. Problem is no coyotes are willing to aid in my experiments !. Has any one ever shot a coyote with a 110 V-max?
Da cowards...... grin

I can't stand a yote that's a coward.

I haven't roasted one with a 270 WSM but, it won't be long and I'll be turning my 9 year old grandson loose on some yotes with a (are you ready for this) 270/08...gack gack gack

Dober
Originally Posted by boatanchor
The very first coyote I ever shot was with a 270Win and 90grain hollow points....To this day it is the only coyote that I ever blew in half, not very fur friendly.
B

Blown in half you say? grin

Tempting.

Maybe I will have to do a comparison test between my two loads on Coyote's.
BC's aside...

Faster is better once your over 85 grains (243) so a 270 win with 90 grains should be smokin' as long as it's accurate I'd say go with the 90's.

Coyote unfriendly wink

Spot
I shot quite a few yotes with a Rem 700, ruger 77's sporters in 270 along with a lot of jackrabbits and chucks.

3031 with the Sierra 90 will shoot some very small groups as seen in my various 270's.

Only a 257 Weatherby with the 100's at 3600 will blow up a coyote like the 270 will loaded with the 90g Sierra's...they never suffer at all. Velocity with the 3031 with AA2700 is also great in the 3550 fps area.
Good info on this thread.
I've been moving over to larger calibers for coyotes, away from the 22 calibers.
Don't have any 270's but have some 7x57's that are deadly with 100 and 120 grain bullets. Same with the 25's I have and lighter bullets.
Like Mark said - the hides are pretty well past prime by now anyway, and even good hides are worth very little money ... So I would do my best to try and blow one in half!
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Like Mark said - the hides are pretty well past prime by now anyway, and even good hides are worth very little money ... So I would do my best to try and blow one in half!

Sounds good to me! Now I just need to get out there and find some of them.
I have used the 110 HP grain bullets by Sierra but not the TSX of V-Max bullets on coyotes. They were doing something around 3400fps as I try to remember, it was 20 years ago. Those hollow points would open up a 4 inch rose wound on a coyote and often not penetrate or exit out the other side. They are not the thing to use for anyone collecting pelts ok.
Has any one ever shot a coyote with a 110 V-max?

How about a 120 V-Max? (284)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's one that took a 130 Ballistic Tip. (277)
[Linked Image]

friendlyfireisnt,
I could be persuaded to watch you blow one in half grin

I live on the east side of Portland from you. I have some 85 gr NBT loaded up & ready for my .257 Bob to use against the cowardly Coyotes...

Mark
Originally Posted by MarkT
friendlyfireisnt,
I could be persuaded to watch you blow one in half grin

I live on the east side of Portland from you. I have some 85 gr NBT loaded up & ready for my .257 Bob to use against the cowardly Coyotes...

Mark

Sounds like a plan!
what area do you prefer to look for Wiley?

I have been hanging out in the clear cuts & farmland around Boring/Damascus. Plenty of sign but no takers.

Mark
Mark,

So far I have only gotten down around Sweet Home with another hunter (Butcher45), but that's a real long drive for me down there. Damascus isn't so far away, and I have been thinking of trying out west a bit too.
Let me know when you're free. I'm not working at the moment, so my sked is pretty open. I'm not limited to the weekends only.

Mark
PM Sent.
Originally Posted by friendlyfireisnt
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Sounds good to me! Now I just need to get out there and find some of them.

not a .270, but the .308 horn 110 vmax out of the 06 will do it, and easily
© 24hourcampfire