Home
Posted By: Shag Minimum size Cartridge for yotes? - 04/12/09
What would be a minimum cartridge for yotes out to say 300yds???
That would be my longest shot. Average shots would be around 100yds give or take..
For me, it boils down to the bullet used more than the caliber in question when using the .224 and under for coyotes. With some careful bullet selection anything from 17 Rem and up will kill coyotes well. Personally I'm a sucker for a .223 or 22-250 on coyotes, but that is also what I have the most experience with.
What's an effective range if any from a 22LR on yotes and Bobkitty?
Personally would never use .22lr on yotes.Thye are fairly hard to kill.I use a .243 for the most part.My minimum would be a .22 Hornet, and would much prefer something in the .22-250 class.With that being said, if I absolutely had to(ie game laws mandate a rimfire), I would use a .22 Mag, but would limit shots to 50-60 yards or so.
Originally Posted by Ruger # 1
Personally would never use .22lr on yotes.Thye are fairly hard to kill.I use a .243 for the most part.My minimum would be a .22 Hornet, and would much prefer something in the .22-250 class.With that being said, if I absolutely had to(ie game laws mandate a rimfire), I would use a .22 Mag, but would limit shots to 50-60 yards or so.

+ 1 223 probably good all around with 40 grain + bullets. I also like the 221 FB usually with 40 grain NBTs.
.22LR and Coyotes are a no-no. Same with the .22mag.

I've can't think of a single centerfire rifle cartrige that isn't good enough for yotes. Not all will be good enough to 300 yards though. The hornet is a great example of a good 100 yard yote gun but a terrible 300 yard yote gun.

For out to 300 yards, .223 or .17 remington minimum.
I have dispatched a few without flaw within 100yrds with the good old 17hmr 17gr v-max.
I have a farmer friend that has been shooting KS yotes for fifty years. They probably wouldn't all fit in a boxcar. Ninety percent were shot with a pre-64 Model 70 in .300 WBY. And some of them were a long, long way out.
Metsamies: Autuaita ovat puup��t sill� he eiv�t huku
Is that Finnish?

I know of a guy who took three coyotes with a 17 HMR last year. But I use a 22-250, 223, and will be using my 243 this winter.
Not for 300 yds, but I really think the new 20 grain FMJ in the 17 HMR is really going to add to the lethality potential on larger varmints with this round...
The minimum I use is a .222 Rem. I grew up hunting coyotes with a .22-250, then about 15 years ago went to a .223 and have since settled on the .222 with a 40 grain Ballistic Tip (3400 fps). It kills dependably to 300 yards +, not much report, easy on hides and the recoil is so slight that you can stay on an animal after the shot. I have a .22 Hornet as well, but feel it's just too light for the day to day coyote hunting I do. Actually, these days I hunt coyotes mostly with Savage 1899s in .250-3000 or .22 High Power. I shoot an 87 grain bullet in the .250 at 2900 fps and a 63 grain bullet at 2900 fps in the High Power. I use tang sights on both. I've shot plenty of coyotes over the last 35 years, so I don't worry anymore about numbers. Since I kill all my coyotes using calls, and most shots are inside 200 yards anyways, using the old guns doesn't really slow me done that much.
[Linked Image]
My question is why work on the minimum. You don't need a 50 BMG, but don't look for the least gun possible, use a reasonable one. Most 22 center fire rifles will do the job at the ranges you are talking, but if you reload, most deer rifles are great with a good varmint bullet. I shot over two dozzen this winter with a 270 Winchester and Hornady v-max bullets, and the odd one still makes it away if not hit well. I also have killed a half dozzen or so over the years with 22 lr, it is possible, but go with a little more power.
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
I've can't think of a single centerfire rifle cartrige that isn't good enough for yotes. Not all will be good enough to 300 yards though. The hornet is a great example of a good 100 yard yote gun but a terrible 300 yard yote gun.

22 K-hornet and 40 gr V-Max works great to 300 yards. Shot placement becomes more critical past 150 yards or so but I have taken 300 yards shots and made clean one shot kills a number of times.
Not minimum, but the 223Rem in a Rem 700 is never a bad choice on dogs out to 300yds.

Feeds wells, 5 in the mag for multiple targets should the occasion arise.

MtnHtr
These days I use my .223 AI, but my .17 Remington was a holy terror on coyotes when I had it. The damage when shot in the head had to be seen.....
Used it way past 300 yards several times and never had one walk away.

Bob
I use a .223 WSSM, 53 gr. Barnes TTX bullet traveling 4100FPS. I have also used a .220 Swift for 20 years. These are powerfull coyote loads. They are a tough critter, stay away from rimfire.
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
Metsamies: Autuaita ovat puup��t sill� he eiv�t huku
Is that Finnish?

I know of a guy who took three coyotes with a 17 HMR last year. But I use a 22-250, 223, and will be using my 243 this winter.

Yes indeed it is Finnish, basically translates to "Blessed are the wooden-headed, for they shall not drown".

Mets�mies basically means Sportsman/Lumberjack, similar in meaning to Hakkuumies (woodsman).

I plan to purchase a .243 as a whitetail/coyote gun, such a great caliber.
Shaq - Minimums for 300 yard coyotes would be something on the order of the .222 Remington with a 40gr V-Max or similar. My go to rifle for 'yotes is a .243 Winchester shooting the Hornday 58 or 75 gr. V-Max. The 75 gr. gives good results on windy days. That being said, I've spent some quality time with my .204 Ruger and believe it shows great promise as a predator cartridge. I am still doing load development for my .204, but am thinking along the lines of 40gr. or heavier bullets.

I've seen my calling buddy lose a few coyotes he had shot with his 788 in .222 Rem. In each case I believe his shot placement could be called into question.

I've never lost a coyote with my 220 Swift including some running shots when my bullet placement was less that perfect. The 220 Swift / 22-250 class cartridges hit hard enough to anchor coyotes and don't cause excessive damage to furs of fox and bobcat. The Swift is my favorite cartridge for varmint calling.
Shag: In the past 15 years I have killed Coyotes out just past 300 yards with my 17 MachIV and Berger 25 grain bullets.
I have also killed Coyotes with my newish 17 Remington Fireball but to date my furthest kill with it has been 220 yards.
On one of those 17 MachIV ocassions we were calling Powder River counry Coyotes and they kept hanging up out at 300 to 450 yards that long winters morning.
I tired of that and knocked one down and out with a single Harris Bi-Pod assisted bullet at 320 yards (I had time to laser range that one)!
Once back at the Varmint Mobile I decided to heck with this "program" and traded my custom 17 MachIV for my Remington 40XB-KS in 220 Swift. Then, wouldn't you know it, the next Coyote I called in appeared at less than 20 yards from that Rifles muzzle - the pelt damage was catastrophic!
You can kill Coyotes with rimfire Rifles - I have done it for at least 50 years now.
Your decision making factors should be distance - which you HAVE decided on (out to 300 yards and averaging 100 yards-ish), noise factor, pelt saving requisite or not, and the occassional Bobcat - which you would most likely wish to save the pelt/carcass of.
I would recommend for your usages that the wonderful old 223 Remington with the pelt saving yet VERY lethal Speer 52 grain hollow-point flat base bullets would fill your bill most probably!
These are accurate flat shooting bullets (out to 300 yards anyway) and yet quite fur friendly.
Back to the rimfires for a second - I have killed Coyotes with several kinds of rimfires (both brands, makes and calibers) and they have their place in Coyoting.
One of my best Coyote Hunting spots has a built in need for rimfires (quiet) - and when Hunting there I always use the wonderful 17 HMR cartridge thereabouts, anymore.
Minimums like you inquire about, out "TO" 300 yards, would be ANY centerfire Rifle cartridge with careful shot placement at standing or slow moving Coyotes!
I have killed a number of Coyotes with my 5 Varminters in caliber 204 Ruger by the way!
Out to 300 yards you could just hold on Coyote fur and fire - then go pick up or examine your 204 Ruger killed Varmint Trophy!
And they are pretty fur friendly and somewhat quieter than many in the 243 Winchester, 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift clan.
Best of luck with whichever you choose, if, you are looking for a new Coyote getter caliber.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Shag, just curious what calibers you have in your arsenal? Don't go small. You'll be kickin yourself when you muff the shot because your little bullet got into the wind. Heavier bullets in a .223, 22-250, etc. will shoot out to 300yds. with some wind effect. If you want to be damn sure go with a .243.

My personal choice .243 with a 75gr v-max. The hell with the pelts. Just kill them little bastards!
I'll be looking for a deal on either a 220swift or a 22-250.

On the smaller centerfire end I've a 257Bob that i'll someday get up and running.. smile
I still say pound for pound dogs die much harder than deer.
My favorite is the 35 & 40 gr bergers out of my 204's followed by my T3 lite in 243 win.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

A great big +1 on that.
Im a big fan of the 17 calibers and the kinlder gold bullets they seem to be a lethal combination. I have used the 27 and 30 golds in everything from the mach IV with the 27 grain bullet at about 3800 fps to the 17 predator at 4300. We just built a new wildcat that will push the little 17 caliber bullet at 4500 plus and I cant wait to try it on coyotes. Try not to overlook the little 17s they are fast flat and have virtually no recoil.
my 22-250 and 220 dont get out as often now that i have a 17 rem. i was told it was no good on yotes, BS, butt shots, guts, where ever they die right now! i like 25 grain berger MEF, or v-max, i just got some 20's to load, dont know if i'll likem yet or not.
Originally Posted by Ruger # 1

A great big +1 on that.

No question about that...
I have killed coyotes with a 22mag at 40 yds with a fmj bullet hit in the head, not the best caliber to use on any coyote. If your talking taking coyotes at 300 yards, I would forget about the .222 Rem. I own one and it is great but I believe your pushing things to far at 300 yards for high percentage kills when the wind is up a little bit

The other thing you may want to consider, is weather or not your going to collect those pelts for selling at a later date. The bigger calibers tend not to be as kind to those pelts you collect..

I have a couple of friends that shoot 17's but they dont' kill yotes much past 150 yards, as their thing is calling them close before dropping the hammer on them. Seldom are shots over 200 yards for yotes in my state anyway.

I got to go with a .243 Winchester or my 25-06 for those far out youndar shots 300 yards or more. They just both do a better job on yotes than the smaller calibers will do. Now that is not to say that you can't kill them dead with the 220 Swift or 22-250 by any means, it gets done every day by some song dog hunter. I also have friends that can knock cherries off a fence post at 200 yards with their fancy AR-.223's and kill coyotes passed 300 yards.

However, when push comes to shove, it is hard to keep up with the fact that a .243, 6mm Rem. and especially the 25-06 (25 caliber) on shots on coyotes 300 yards and further downrange.
i haven't used everything out there on coyotes, but have some pretty strong opinions on what i have used...

i don't care for the .223 cartridge on long range coyotes... (beyond 200 yds) same goes for the .17 rem and the .222...
the .22-250 is IMO, probably the best dedicated coyote cartridge out there... i see coyotes in my head when i think of the .22-250...

if you use a .22-250 on coyotes you'll have a hard time switching to anything else... been there... done that....
i'm not much on remington 700s these days but i'd buy back my old ADL 22-250 in a heartbeat... except the guy that i sold it to all those years ago aint' ever gonna sell it...
i tend to ignore the .204 because i haven't tried it...

with a .243 in my hands i probably never will... boring, hard-headed, old man is what i'm turning out to be...

i am having my first 25-06 barreled up right now... used it some.. like it lots... never owned one before... i'm not so old that i don't get a bit tickled.....
Originally Posted by mw406
The minimum I use is a .222 Rem. I grew up hunting coyotes with a .22-250, then about 15 years ago went to a .223 and have since settled on the .222 with a 40 grain Ballistic Tip (3400 fps). It kills dependably to 300 yards +, not much report, easy on hides and the recoil is so slight that you can stay on an animal after the shot. I have a .22 Hornet as well, but feel it's just too light for the day to day coyote hunting I do. Actually, these days I hunt coyotes mostly with Savage 1899s in .250-3000 or .22 High Power. I shoot an 87 grain bullet in the .250 at 2900 fps and a 63 grain bullet at 2900 fps in the High Power. I use tang sights on both. I've shot plenty of coyotes over the last 35 years, so I don't worry anymore about numbers. Since I kill all my coyotes using calls, and most shots are inside 200 yards anyways, using the old guns doesn't really slow me done that much.
[Linked Image]

don't take this wrong mw406, but in your pic, you kinda take on a sort of resemblance to the coyote... no offense intended, i mean it right!!!
I like to use my .25-06 deer rifle. Keeps me tuned up with the deer rifle, and flattens the yotes. This one was with the 115 Berger:

[Linked Image]

Did just get another .204 and am looking forward to trying it on coyotes as well. I hear the 35 gr Bergers are excellent on coyotes.

Regards, Guy
What kind of exit did that 115 gr. Berger leave?
That's a good photo, nice rifle, and a good looking coyote.

The .25-06 & 115 Berger VLD is not a hide-friendly combination... A fair bit of the other side of that coyote was well opened up.

Thanks for the compliments on the rifle & photo - as soon as I saw my first 700 CDL I ordered one. It's been a great rifle for coyotes, rock chucks and mule deer.

Regards, Guy
.50 CAL. I shot a yote with my .223 around 200 yards and it managed to get away.The coyote stood there spinning in circles for at least a minute.I thought it would fall over dead but instead it ran down the mountain side never to be seen again.I bet it's dead now though.
Originally Posted by Shag
What would be a minimum cartridge for yotes out to say 300yds???
Originally Posted by Shag
What would be a minimum cartridge for coyotes out to say 300yds???

At that distance I'd stay with at least a 17 Rem or a 204 Ruger. A 223 AI would put them down too.

Prolly more fun too...Ya just never know whats gonna show up for dinner...
I have used several calibers to kill coyotes from the .22mag to the .300 Win mag and in all my years, I know you can't really beat a 6mm or .243 caliber for taking lots of coyotes out past 300 yards. Is it FUR FRIENDLY....NO but I was never in the business of selling coyote hides in the first place.
© 24hourcampfire