Home
Posted By: wareagle Bushmaster varminter loads - 01/25/11
I picked up a bushmaster varminter 223 1-9 twist and would like some insight on a good starting point for bullet weight.
Only thing I've had an opportunity to try are WW 45 gr hp's and some Black hills 52gr hp's . It didn't care for either.
Looking 55 gr and up. Beavers, yotes, possible hog and deer.
Fwiw the rifles wearing a Nikon m223 4-12 600 reticle.
Thanks for your time.
Try some 62/69 match ammo. Should group better and work fine for varmints. As for larger game I'd step up to a larger caliber. But if it's all you got I think you can get a 60gr. parition from Federal.
Posted By: cowman Re: Bushmaster varminter loads - 02/01/11
Mine seems to love 40 grain Ballistic tips with 28 grains of H335. It does shoot well all the way up to 69 grain. The 55 grain Vmax does a number on yotes, and would integrate well with your Nikon M223 scope. A better bullet such as the Partition, or a monolithic bullet from Barnes or Hornady would enable you to take bigger game with this rifle.
55 gr Sierra BK, 25-grs Varget and i'll bet you it touches holes. I have not had a 1/9 twist yet that did not like it. I shoot the same 25-grs behind 40-gr BK as well.
Loaded 55 V-max over 26.5 gr. of varget for a buddy(his pick).Shot well enough for him to use in the High power matches.

Allan
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Bushmaster varminter loads - 02/03/11
55 NBT's with 3031
© 24hourcampfire