Home
Posted By: SamOlson 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/10/11
News flash: Do not shoot a yote with a 270 Win and 140 Accubonds if you plan on saving the hide.

Big surprise right.... Went Indian and got a double yesterday, tennis ball exits on both(rib shots). Looking to save the rest of them this year and might have to dust off my old 22-250.

Factory 55 grain soft points make a mess if they hit bone?

Anything else to consider? Not gonna reload for the rifle, factory rounds this Winter.
(and FWIW Winchester factory barrel, guessing 1-14" twist)

Thanks.
Posted By: viking Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/10/11
Good luck.
Carnage regardless?

I shoot 55 gr. Fed V-Shock ballistic tips. They don't make too big a mess on coyotes -- but don't shoot a fox at close range with it.

Just sayin'...
I could have shot a little fox yesterday but for some weird reason I never do.

Would a .257 cal 117SGK at 2900fps be more friendly than the 22-250 and 55's?
Maybe if you define fur-friendly as fur burger...
Posted By: K22 Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/10/11
Fur Friendly and 22-250 factory loads generally aren't used in the same sentence. whistle
Posted By: ingwe Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/10/11
Sammo, I probably had my best luck with Speer 50 gr TNT, not redlined...No exits.
Second would be 50 Gr Nosler BTs...dime sized exits....

If you hit major bones ( i.e. shoulder ) on the way in...all bets are off.... eek

Next year I think Im gonna try 50 gr Vmax in the .223AI on some fur...

If all else fails...the TSX or TTSX WILL work, just doesnt work as quick as frangible bullets....
Sam-big thing for being fur friendly is staying off the major bones. Ingwe and I speak the same language when it comes to the 50 TNT.

I'll send you some in the mail on Monday, load em up and stay off the big bones (shoulder,spine and on a frontal shot the breast bone) and you'll be golden.

Plus they're incredibly accurate.

As well I concur with Ingwe about the 50 NBT and I'll add the 40 NBT.

Dober
Thanks for the ideas!

I kinda figured the speed might be hard to work around but figured what the hell.

There are a few (more)cocky yotes that need to go.
I can't abide a cocky yote..grin

They need to learn some respect!

Dober
I taught a skunk some respect one night with a TNT up the cheerio... grin
Oh hell yes!

Dober, you heard what a yote is going for these days?

Up from last year I guess?
Posted By: Winnie Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/10/11
Just hit him in the googler.

Goggler...c'mon man haven't you learnt anything here.....grin
That is for people from Wyoming or Montana.

Googler is the correct spelling for the normal people.
You will smoke a turd in hell for that, Californicator!

wink
Posted By: laker Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/10/11
A friend has had great luck shooting either 52 grain speer hollow points or 52 grain sierra hollow points in is .220 swift and they usually just go in and dont come out. When they do come out its only about a quarter sized exit
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
That is for people from Wyoming or Montana.

Googler is the correct spelling for the normal people.

Google is help for people who don't know what the hell they are talking about. You and JM would be 'googlers'......grin

Thanks Laker!
Originally Posted by ingwe
You will smoke a turd in hell for that, Californicator!

wink

Gee, I think I have heard that before.

grin

And you will again..... wink
Sam , get youself a 204...you will love it

load up 40gr bt

good combo of killing power and fur friendlyness....
Fur friendly is a relative term. What works good on a coyote can still be excessive on a fox or bobcat. I have had pretty good luck with the speer 52 gr hp on coyotes.
Posted By: mart Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/10/11
I have to agree with BlueDuck on the Speer 52 grain HP (SP4708) for coyotes. I have used it for years in the Swift and turned several fur hunters on to it for the 22-250. Very seldom ever had an exit wound with it.

Mart
Hollow points and polymer tipped bullets will ruin some of them. Even when they don't blow a huge hole in the hide they will often create a big dark red stain on the underside of the hide. In the 22-250, regular old 55gr soft points can't be beat. I've killed a mountain of coyotes with them and don't remember ever ruining one. Best shot is a head on shot in the center of the chest. Tiny entrance, no exit, and no bloodshot hide. I guess I'm not good enough to avoid bone on a running double - They gets hit where they gets hit.
I don't know what some folk are talking about. I've only had/seen one blow up from 50gr. V-Maxs and that one was hit too far back and too low. Really ripped opened the belly. Other than that I've never even had/seen an exit using my .22-250 on coyotes.

In short, just about any of the 50gr. or lighter "varmint" bullets will do nicely.

CB
Thanks for all the ideas.

Went out for a walk this afternoon but didn't find any yotes, maybe tomorrow.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Not gonna reload for the rifle, factory rounds this Winter.

shocked

I don't even know what that means..
Posted By: j0s4 Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/11/11
Winchester factory 45 grain, the 40 round white box if your only bangin a few dogs.
I'm thinkin' he's holding off on buying dies, and hoping to get his hands on my RRA gopher killer..
That would be one plan!

Not sure why but I have zero interest in reloading right now. Haven't loaded a round since we moved, still have a good stash loaded up.

I'd make my original first rifle(the '250) a truck gun but am afraid some [bleep] would steal it and that would suck.

Ruger?

Posted By: ingwe Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/11/11
Sammo...get a Tikka for a truck gun...no emotional attachment.....

kinda like a "Freind with benefits..." grin
I just can't do a Tikka. Truck gun says reload from the top down is mandatory for this Rezneck....grin

Not sure why but I have zero interest in reloading right now. Haven't loaded a round since we moved, still have a good stash loaded up.

Chit.. I've gotta reload like a demon right now. Going to start packing up the reloading room pretty soon and I don't know how long it'll take to get cranking again. eek

Dude was selling a M700 ADL in .222 rem here in the classifieds. I'd be all over that.
I just can't do a Tikka.

Now you're getting all hoity toity..
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I just can't do a Tikka.

Now you're getting all hoity toity..

Elitist..... grin
That's what I did, made up like 800 rounds and haven't touched the press since.

Do have a soft spot for the ADL!
I saw that ADL and successfully resisted....

First time for everything..... grin
Yeah, real fancy around here....grin

I just like to be able to open the bolt and reload. Start fiddling with a magazine while doing 55mph down the stubble and you might hit a washout....grin
Not much fiddlin' to do with 30 rd mags.....just sayin'....
I looked at that .222 again.. Damn, why hasn't someone bought that thing?
.221 Fireball will get the job done without a mess
Sam, my youngest brother killed a big pale bellied male last night. Took it into the taxidermist, plopped it down on the floor and slipped a $20 back in his wallet. No skinning or anything. Could make more if it was skinned but cant beat $20 for pullin the trigger once and droppin it on the floor of his shop. Ive only had time to kill 2 this year. Both had mange so I couldnt sell em.

I'm not sure whats fur friendly but I hope you thin them out a bit over there this winter Sam.

I have shot a few with a 62TSX out of the 223ack and they left baseball size exits. So I'm going to say not that one smile
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/13/11
[quote=SamOlson]News flash: Do not shoot a yote with a 270 Win and 140 Accubonds if you plan on saving the hide.

Big surprise right.... Went Indian and got a double yesterday, tennis ball exits on both(rib shots). Looking to save the rest of them this year and might have to dust off my old 22-250.

Factory 55 grain soft points make a mess if they hit bone?

Anything else to consider? Not gonna reload for the rifle, factory rounds this Winter.
(and FWIW Winchester factory barrel, guessing 1-14" twist)

in my handloads for coyotes i've always used the 53 grain flat base hornady hollow point--in both my swift and 22-250's it will consistently make about a 1 inch hole and instantly ash can yotes. 55 grain hornady soft point is ok, but expect to use a little more thread. the 60 grain hornady hollow point will treat hide like the 53 hp--mighty fine.

hornady offers a factory load with a 60 grain sp--this is a great bullet--and it's also a good bullet for deer.

if you decide to roll your own and you don't care about the pelt, the new 53 hornady v max is an incredible bullet at longer 22 centerfire ranges, and when combined with ultra high velocity it's nearly ray gun flat. i started using it about 3 or 4 months ago, and i've shot this bullet out to 600 and its very impressive when compared to other basic 22 centerfire bullets. i have only used it in some of my 1 in 12 barrels, but don't know how it will behave in your 1 in 14 barrel. have not used it on a yote either, but hope to in the coming weeks...
Sam, the best way to make that 22-250 of yours fur friendly is to exchange it for a .204. wink Heard coyotes unskinned were getting $45.00 in Havre.
Posted By: Nrut Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/15/11
Speer (carp mouth) 52 grain HP for about 11 years worked well..
I tipped two over with a handloaded 50grPLHP Rem bullet at 60 and 140 yds with no exit..
They look like a plated bullet with a small HP and I was surprised that they didn't exit..
Maybe just luck..
Very accurate also..
Anyway I would think that they are sold in factory loaded guise..
Thanks again for the info, weather looks nice this weekend, maybe I'll sneak off and get the ol' Rezrocket sighted in and try for some yotes.

$45 unskinned sounds good! Fur buyer has an ad in the paper and one of my buddies is coyote master so maybe he'll want 'em.
Good old 55gr Hornady SP's work as well as anything.
Posted By: sabot Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/18/11
Originally Posted by K22
Fur Friendly and 22-250 factory loads generally aren't used in the same sentence. whistle

hehehehe,i like that
Posted By: MHWASH Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/19/11
I load the plain ole' Hornady 55 sp. Which come from the box labeled Varmint Nightmares from Midsouth.
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Sam, the best way to make that 22-250 of yours fur friendly is to exchange it for a .204. wink Heard coyotes unskinned were getting $45.00 in Havre.

I got $20 from Pacific for one today, mature prime dog. My wife took it in, and the guy told her it'd been a $15 dog but gave her an extra $5 for it being headshot. grin
if you get down to 222 remington and 221 fireball velocities and use the hornady sx bullets i think you will have a more "fur friendly" round or the 45 grain hornet bullets

for me i just want them dead right there so i love my 220 swift and the 55 ballistic tips
Posted By: tt35 Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 12/29/11
The only bullet I haven't tore up a coyote with shooting a .22-250 is the 60 grain V-max. YMMV. Otherwise, yeah, trade it in on a .204 with 35 grain Bergers.
A Hornady 50 or 55 SX at about 3500 works about like the Speer TNT, just stay off the fringes and you won't usually have to do a lot of sewing. Won't always stop all the major fur damage but works often enough to consider.
I shot this yote and many others with the 50 NBT from a 22-250. This one had no exit, and they tend to not exit if hit well.... Hit shoulder bone, or guts and boy howdy is it a nasty mess...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OSB Re: 22-250 Fur Friendly Bullet? - 01/03/12
Sam here where the 20 is your friend low to mid thirty size bullets at 4000 fps plus small hole in no exit.
© 24hourcampfire