Home
Figured this might be a good idea as a place to see what everyone is blowin to pieces and what they are using to create the pieces. Post your pictures and stories here!

I finally broke the ice this evening. We had a big bbq out at my grandparents and I got an early start on thinning out the gophers in and around the yard for our wedding this summer. Also have a badger that dug a hole about 20 yards from that house that I need to assassinate. I killed 5 or 6 tonight but only took pics of these. We are headin up to the ranch tomorrow to do a recon mission and see what is out up there.

Killed both with my Marlin 981T 22lr. Cant use anything much bigger due to other houses, horses, cows etc around the area.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I was a guest of a fellow forum member over in Klamath County Oregon on the California line today...weren't as many as we hoped for this morning...

did get a probable on a rock chuck...my host, Andrew had to leave about 1:30...

about 2 PM tho, they started coming out all over the wood work..

gotta get back into the zone, but after 100 rounds or so in a couple of hours, I was getting back into it..

at first was just winging them.... but finally started to get that highly desired red mist...

got home and managed to get sunburned today...but had a good time..

thanks again to Andrew ( ACLakey) for having me over...
I'll post tomorrow...

Travis
Just found out that the renter up at the ranch has seen a couple wolves multiple times. He saw them right in the hedge row right behind the house(dark spot in the middle of the pic I sent you the other day) yesterday evening. One was black and the other gray. Why couldnt this have been a couple weeks ago!?
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was a guest of a fellow forum member over in Klamath County Oregon on the California line today...weren't as many as we hoped for this morning...

did get a probable on a rock chuck...my host, Andrew had to leave about 1:30...

about 2 PM tho, they started coming out all over the wood work..

gotta get back into the zone, but after 100 rounds or so in a couple of hours, I was getting back into it..

at first was just winging them.... but finally started to get that highly desired red mist...

got home and managed to get sunburned today...but had a good time..

thanks again to Andrew ( ACLakey) for having me over...

Sorry I had to leave so early but I had a great time. Come back in a few weeks and the little ones will be out and the alfalfa will be greened up....then the killing will begin. smile

Thanks for the company and conversation.
Packing the truck and heading north in one hour...pics to follow in a couple days...
Come get pizza when you're done.

Travis
What's the 22RF ammo of choice? I've got such a mish mash of rimfire ammo I need to look at just picking a couple different ones and just stock up. The Federal bulk seems to be as good as anything for general shooting but what about Velocitor vs Stinger, does one work better than the other on gophers?
Not really. Unless you step up to the Stinger type stuff, but that's too pricey for real volume shooting.

I bought a case of some stuff from the Bitterroot this year and dumped half of it into a zombie can. I have four 10/22's to feed, so commonality is more important than anything else. As long as they hold minute of gopher to 50-75yds, you're good.

[Linked Image]

Travis
I have had the best luck with the Winchester plated ammo sold in the 333 and 555 packs.
geez Travis, do you pay a local kid to keep all them loaded and ready for you on the killing field? laugh
I think it depends upon the rifle you shoot... Andrew had a really nice 10.22 package... I was starting off with a Model94/22 with a 6 power Weaver on top...which is real accurate...

shooting gophers with a 22 LR tho, wasn't a real thrill...I like my CZ which can head shoot them...then they flop around like a fish all over the place...

I winged one yesterday with the 223, and went out to look at it, and it was still alive, so I put the rifle barrel right above its head and fired and it still flopped around like a fish even that close...

did the same thing to another one, this time using a 17HMR... and it flopped around like a fish also...

neither round still motivates me shooting little squeakers...no fun for me personally...

the 10/22 of Andrew's, along with his simple set up of stool and cross sticks makes a good practical set up...

early in the season, but as always, their was tons of 17 HMR brass gleaming the sun back at you all over the fields we were on...

gotta admit, if the 17 HMR was $5.00 a box, I'd shoot a lot more of it...
...that flopping around like a fish, we've coined that "flipperin'". One day out shooting 'dogs with a friend there was a marginally hit one doing it's best to flop it's way back to it's hole. My buddy couldn't quite spit out the correct word for it and it came out "git that flipperin' one". It was so funny at the time I couldn't shoot for laughin'.
The term stuck and is still good for a laugh.
125 Gr. SGH, 20 yards, one shot, one dead digger... [bleep] was already tearing up my grass at the new Rancho.

[Linked Image]
What is an SGH?
I'm gonna say small game head?
G5 Small Game Head..

[Linked Image]
Checked out the ranch this morning. We(my two brothers and I) shot probably 50-60 in an hour or so. Still will be a couple weeks before the rest start comin out. I was shootin my 77/17 Mach 2 and 22-250, younger bro was shootin a 22 mag, and youngest bro was shootin his Anchutz 17 Mach 2.

My 22-250
[Linked Image]

Result of a 50gr Btip to the face. Just his head was stickin out of the hole.
[Linked Image]

Killin fields
[Linked Image]

17gr Vmax to the head
[Linked Image]

77/17 Mach 2 with a victim
[Linked Image]
Nice! I only saw 2, up here, we're usually a little behind. But one the first shot on the first gopher of the season my son opened one up with an Aguila out of my 10/22.
Nice! Brothers were pissin me off and wouldnt let me get out to shoot the 22-250 much. Shot a few more with it but couldnt find them for a picture. Next time Im bringin my 4 wheeler trailer with a shooting table of some sort and blastin away. I get tired of driving through badger holes after about 5 mins. Id rather sit and shoot and then move if needed instead of cruisin the whole place.
That is my style as well. Benches and LR sniping. Although both are fun and I try to do some of each on each outing. My Avalanche interior is FULL of 22LR and 22WMR empties rollin and rattlin 'round smile
This is something my Dad has always wanted to do. Now that he's retired, I hope to put something together for him! Is there public land or landowners that would be receptive to hunters?
I dont know about Washington but most farmers/ranchers will let guys shoot. Considering the person asking, ground conditions, etc. It sounds really bad but the way a person looks/acts says alot about how that person might treat another persons property.
Originally Posted by Dan360
This is something my Dad has always wanted to do. Now that he's retired, I hope to put something together for him! Is there public land or landowners that would be receptive to hunters?

Down this way its not that hard to find places to shoot..

don't know how far you are up in Washington...but I am sure there are places to be lined up easily in NE Oregon also..
Originally Posted by Dan360

over here its not hard to get permission for gophers(technically Richardson's ground squirrels).....prairie dogs can be hit or miss and at this point i dont have permission for any private land towns but their lil cousins are so common i dont spend any real time looking for prairie dog towns to shoot over.....

gophers tear up gravel roads pretty good and most farmer/ranchers like them thinned out....in high school(late 90's) my buddies and i had access to a dozen ranches and it was preferred if we showed up as often as possible....
We live about an hour and a half from Portland. My inlaws are in PDX, so we are in Oregon quite a bit. My Dad's retired now, so he can go whenever. Finding time to do a knock and talk would probably be the best thing. It would just suck to be unproductive because its a long trip otherwise.
nothing ventured, nothing gained..

Dan 360,

PM sent, with my phone number. Call me after Church today and I will help you with some specifics. Plenty to go around! Several guys from here at 24hrcf have pm'ed me wanting help, there is NO shortage of good places to shoot or targets. I have been considering going into the guided varmint hunt business but for now I think I will just take guys from here for just some help with travel expenses to get to the killing fields and back because that is my limitation these days, lots of time but no gas money. Also need help lifting bags of ammo, shooting benches etc due to my health. I Especially want to take those from here who are taking a kid or a Dad. I have a soft spot for such things smile

MARK
BTW i got my first gopher of the season.......but i used the wifes GMC Yukon XL and smoked it on Highway 2 over by Browning MT this morning grin hope to head out to my uncles after work tomorrow 22 in hand and see whats out....
I got about 20 Richardson's in mid Feb -- males were just coming out. We've had plague so the populations are a fraction of what they once were. I have to hunt for them now.

My favorite 22 LR shell is the WW Power Point. A bit more accurate and it hits harder than most as it's a 40 grain with a huge hollow point.
Sheridan: we just got about 350 of them west of your position by a tad... grin

Shooting is slow so far...still a bit early.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
nothing ventured, nothing gained..

Big time, I learned long ago to get out and do my scouting and landowner relationship work and find my spots all on my own. I do not like to rely on others to do things for me.

One of my best finds "field of dreams" is something like 36 sections of contigous pd's. I find it worth the time and effort to get out and never consider it a waste of time if it's a dry run.

I have a fair number of chuck colony's that I found the hard way as well. My best summer was 431 chucks or something like that. It was a bit rough on the old 7 Mag tube....grin

Just my way

Dober
Originally Posted by ingwe

drove almost the length of the Hiline yesterday as we went to Kalispel this weekend for the state Walleyes Unlimited banquet.....the drive home was rough, saw plenty of gophers and i hadnt thrown a gun in the Yukon before leaving cause we had a full load as friends went with us crazy
No gun in the Truck? Must be a Pink Subaru.... smile
Originally Posted by rattler

drove almost the length of the Hiline yesterday as we went to Kalispel this weekend for the state Walleyes Unlimited banquet.....the drive home was rough, saw plenty of gophers and i hadnt thrown a gun in the Yukon before leaving cause we had a full load as friends went with us crazy

Why did you not stop and buy me a beer?

Travis
cause we were in Havre for all of 5 minutes to gas up.....long [bleep] drive from here to Kalispel and we tend to haul arse there and back....
Unacceptable.

And if Poo-Bah doesn't stop by here soon, I'm going to buy him another .204. That'll teach him some manners.

Travis
lol...will work on getting up there for a day this summer.......course you could bring the kids down and meet the lot of us for a weekend on Fort Peck aswell...
Hell yeah! You just let me know. I've never been down there and love fishing.

Travis
will let yah know, usually start heading up there regularly mid May.....usuallly 3 families are camping together and though our kids are older than yours a couple more running around wont matter....
Just don't leave loose cash laying around. These two are a little feral...

Travis
lol, no worries, sure they will fit in fine.....
Originally Posted by safariman
... I have a soft spot for such things smile

MARK

I thought that skull plate fixed that for you?? wink
Originally Posted by avagadro
... I have a soft spot for such things smile

MARK

I thought that skull plate fixed that for you?? wink

It was SUPPOSED to! The Mexican Surgeon that put that in after the taxi cab accident in Cabo warned me sternly "Be very careful, this plate is HOT!" smile smile smile
[Linked Image]

Travis
[Linked Image]
Mine has more color...

Travis
Its been pretty nasty around here. Cold, snowy, and windy so gophers havent been out much. Shot a few earlier in the week while out feedin animals at the ranch. Its supposed to be warmer this week but of course wind comes with it.
Been schitty here as well.

Bring on the spring...

Travis
Went out to the range today to shoot some test loads. I was in the middle of shootin a group when I caught something moving out of the corner of my eye. I looked over and two male gophers were rollin around fighting less than 10 feet from me. The loser gave up and ran right towards me and I couldnt see him anymore. I failed to notice the hole right under the bench. I looked under the bench and he was about a foot away from my foot.
[Linked Image]

Tried to stomp him and he ran off to a hole about 10 yards away. I loaded up a 95gr Btip in my 243 and waited. He came out and stood proud and then some how took flight.
[Linked Image]

I lost the other one but eventually he came back out also. I loaded up a 140gr Fusion in my 7mm-08 and from about 10 feet away, he grew wings and exploded also. He took a 140gr does of Extenze and grew a little. lol
[Linked Image]
This is how far he flew from the hole...he is straight back from the hole
[Linked Image]

Here they are after their little dispute was settled...I think its safe to say they are now BFF's lol
[Linked Image]
Nice pictorial DT...

Hope to have some pics next week...if I dont lose my friggin camera again!
I think he hit it.

Travis
Tough to tell if it was a direct hit, or a "flesh" wound...with a .243 grin
Originally Posted by DeerTracker

Here they are after their little dispute was settled...I think its safe to say they are now BFF's lol
[Linked Image]

Hard to tell which one was more effective. laugh

Looks like the actual cause of death may have been severe trauma combined with fairly massive blood loss. Course you'd need a coroner to be more specific. grin
When I go I hope it is that quick.
Tough to tell if it was a direct hit, or a "flesh" wound...with a .243 grin

nawwww.. that's what a psychiatrist calls a 'split personality'....
I killed a ground squirrel with my bow a few days back, does that count. grin

Someday I hope to do some varmint shooting like you guys are lucky to be able to do.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

Someday I hope to do some varmint shooting like you guys are lucky to be able to do.

It only counts if there's massive carnage.

Three years ago I had found some local places to shoot squirrels on people's property. I had a .17hmr with an 8-32x scope on it. The ones we were shooting were between us and a little pond so our longest shots were 125 yards and shortest at about 60. With the big scope shooting off a rest I was making really neat head shots that were relatively clean compared to the body stomach shots my friend was making a mess with.

I was telling him I wasn't going to pick his up to put them in a bucket anymore, they were too messed up to pick up. He told me to stop being a puzzy and start seeing what massive carnage shots were all about. So okay, I started making stomach shots when I could have just as easily been making neat head shots.
Originally Posted by 243WSSM

It only counts if there's massive carnage.

Three years ago I had found some local places to shoot squirrels on people's property. I had a .17hmr with an 8-32x scope on it. The ones we were shooting were between us and a little pond so our longest shots were 125 yards and shortest at about 60. With the big scope shooting off a rest I was making really neat head shots that were relatively clean compared to the body stomach shots my friend was making a mess with.

I was telling him I wasn't going to pick his up to put them in a bucket anymore, they were too messed up to pick up. He told me to stop being a puzzy and start seeing what massive carnage shots were all about. So okay, I started making stomach shots when I could have just as easily been making neat head shots.

When I hit Oregon sage rats that have been eating wet alfalfa with my cute little .243 WSSM loaded with Varmint Grenades, there wasn't anything to pick up! Never saw such carnage, they literally disappeared into specks of red goo. Rat parts, soil fragments and bullet shrapnel cut a neat tunnel into the standing alfalfa like a tunnel boring machine. Never saw anything like it. Never thought about picking up the dead that don't disappear, as the eagles and hawks do clean up duty.
40 grain ballistic tip via 204 at maybe 30 yards...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I think you may have hit him, Dog hunter.

grin
[Linked Image]

one shot by Seafire JR,

taken with a Shaw 223 barrel on a Model 70...

distance was about 125 yds,

load 13.5 grains of Blue Dot, 55 grain SP Hornady

if you know where and when to hit'em...you can get some spectacular results...

and yes he washed his hands afterwards in hot water and with soap...
Whats for dinner? Rock Chuck or Jack Rabbit?

[Linked Image]

ER Shaw 223 barrel...Model 70 action

13 grains of Blue Dot, 55 grain Sp Hornady...

[Linked Image]

ER Shaw 223 Barrel, Model 70 Action, 250 yds.

same Blue Dot load and 55 grain SP Hornady....

all of the above from previous seasons.. but I need to inspire myself, for when and if all of this rain finally goes bye-bye...

meanwhile I can go water skiing in my back yard... mad
went out this morning before the wind kicked up......need to find new killing grounds, actually have finally succeeded in seriously thinning out those at my uncles....only had about a dozen killed in 90 minutes.....10 years ago woulda been 4 times that.....
22s kick ass cost wise but the wow factor just isn't there...
[Linked Image]
vs .204 Ruger
[Linked Image]
so boring those 22s are...
My sentiments exactly....

Love the centerfires for converting biomass...
I do my part providing biomass to feed the raptors so they leave my damn game birds alone. I consider it a public service.
Same-o here! Whenever "greenies" ask what we are going to do, I refer to it as a " Raptor Feeding Symposium"...not ONE has made the connection, even when I elaborate by telling them we see to it that meat is evenly distributed for the raptors to eat...
I guess they think it comes out of a styro-package...
I don't doubt that. Some of those guys are so clueless it actually IS funny.

I just paid for an Argentina hunt and (today) a pair of Swarovski binos so my "bullet budget" is as dead as Obama's campaign for a while. Looks like .22s for hawk feeding for the rest of the summer...
Red Stag?
Stag, fallow, blackbuck, boar and (if time allows) high volume dove. I have a woody just thinking about it and its still a year out...assuming the mayans were wrong.
That sounds like a fun trip. Best of luck.

Travis
+1....what Travis said....sounds mega-cool... cool
I'd love to go to Argentina, hunting or not.

Beautiful wimmens, great food, gorgeous country.. I might not come back.
Chile and Argentina are on my list, wife's born and raised in Chile and we need to make a trip there to visit and beat on the birds.

Maybe rip some lips as well...feesh hate me

Dober
Yep, I'm super-duper stoked. All free range and I can kill any stag I choose, big or small, for the same price. No extra charge because he's gold medal or whatever. I paid more for my South African hunt than this trip too. Win win.

Till then I have to shoot prarie dogs and fish the Flaming Gorge to keep myself content...
Sounds like a good trip. If you don't mind a guy asking, what does a trip like that run? I'd like to give something like that a try and this summer is shaping up to be a good one on the roof (a little extra play money).
All said and done, with plane tickets and shipping of trophies back home, I will have about 8 grand into this. I stumbled across a stag and boar hunt for $3450, plus trophy fees for any other animals I desire (which in this case is blackbuck and fallow deer). I am going with an outfit who a friend went with a couple years ago and really liked. Be smart about things, like get European mounts instead of full shoulder mounts and don't get hung up on "expensive" critters and these trips are less than a guy would think. A passport and airline approved gun case would be needed as well, but I already have those so those are not an expense this time.

For instance, I am not shooting an axis deer because they are 2 grand plus, and their antlers are not real special (I do like their coats though). Same reason I didn't shoot a nyala in Africa. The "money to horn" ratio isn't good. If a particular critter floats your boat, fine, but don't go crazy with several "expensive" critters.

As awesome as Alaskan moose antlers are, the trophy fee alone is way more than this entire trip.
cheaper the just shoot an axis in Texas......want one cause the coat is cool and heard from many they are about the best tasting critter, but one can be had free range in Texas for less than $2k....

anyway, sounds like a neat trip, cant wait to see the pics....kinda would like to do Argentina cause its one of the few places with huntable Pere' Davids deer....wild antlers on those guys....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
410 yards with 85 grain NBT out of my 25-06
Originally Posted by jlutcher51
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
410 yards with 85 grain NBT out of my 25-06

Dude, you're makin me hungry, looks like stir fry. laugh
Just got back from the killing fields, did all my shooting with a .222 and a .204...and did not take any pics of blown up gophs to post ( just my choice...) however, a good time was had by all, except those with buck teeth...

A couple scenes...

the .204 works on Jacks...might be bad news this easter.... whistle

[Linked Image]

And tailgate lunch in the killing fields grin

[Linked Image]

Overlooking part of the AO...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Well Easter is going to be a little late this year...

thanks to Ingwe, they have to recruit and train another Easter Bunny!

glad my kid is old enough, that he's off the Easter Bunny's list anymore... otherwise, he'd be disappointed like the rest of the kids in the country will be.....
I don't like finding boiled eggs in the yard either......

[Linked Image]
Saw another egg stasher headed for the house. This time I 204'ed him like ingwe. His basket went ass over tea-kettle when the 40 grainer entered his brisket. Friggen colored eggs everywhere......Good thing I stopped him before he got close to the yard......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I got another one last week with the .204 Don...he was still mostly white but no pics, cause I lost my friggin camera! cry

But Im thinkin' that one was the REAL Easter Bunny, cuz he was white...just like the marshmallow ones... grin
You guys are sick. sick I kind of like you. grin I like the term "Flipperin' ". We call it "Doin' The Chicken" or a "Boogey Woogey Shot'. (Coined by my son when he was about seven.)

Our sagerats (Beldings Ground Squirrels) are up in force. Now that I'm taking hunters out, I don't get to shoot as many as I normally would but I get as big a kick out of watching others launch them as I do launching them myself. When I do shoot... a .204 with 39 gr SBK's and a .17 HMR with Hornady 17 gr V-maxes. When the little ones come out the first of May, .22's rule.

Rockchucks--.243AI releasing 105 gr Bergers. Had a called hit at 1018 yards last week but couldn't find it. No Body, No Count. But, it was fun anyway. We limit our early season RC's to 1000 yards or better. We don't have that many so it makes it pretty easy on the resource.

Sounds like you MT boys are doing more GS's than PD's? Love to go back to Wyoming and kill some PD's again. That's my kind of vacation!

Go forth and slay stuff!

Killed both with my Marlin 981T 22lr.

How's that 981 servin' you? Got a good mind to trade in my Jam O' Mattic savage 64 and get one. Does she get good groups? Don't mean to thread steal but it's hard to find info on these.
.25-06 115 Bergers....

Sweet double....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Reminds me, we have a blender called the "bullet". wink
I killed a jackrabbit at my aunt's house last year and told my cousins I killed the Easter bunny. They didn't believe me. wink

Do Chickmumps go in this thread?....

[Linked Image]
dat one does..... grin
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

That's classy right there Don!
What breed are the squirrels in Montana?

The trek to the Goose lake area on the California/Oregon border was an annual trip for a long time and I miss it a bunch, can remember one year going through 3500 .22lr in 4 days with probably 80% hits. We thought we might shot out some fields but some buddies hit the same field a week later and could not tell we had ever been there.

I still think the best launches I have seen were the 110vmax out of the .308 or 30-06.
Primarily Richardsons and Columbian Ground squirrels...
I've been waiting for the damned weather to clear to be able to go over again... it has been constant rain for 30 plus days now...

I sure hope the Forest Circus is happy as a clam, as their favorite pasttime in their Chicken Little World is running around all spring and summer with their hair on fire, screaming "Fire Season Fire Season!!!"....
A couple more
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Not really varmit related, but I came upon this scene today...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Travis
cool cool
It's all for you Poo-Bah.

Travis
I have been hitting them hard since March out here. I have been out 7 times so far & a tad under 1300 rounds lower. Just like last year making free dinner bites for coyotes & badgers. I need to keep up on my reloading, but still have 3300 rounds at the ready. Its nice that I only drive 35 miles to be in the center of them by myself.
Got about 10 more today: I think the majority still are below ground as I am not seeing as many as I should.
[Linked Image]

I found some rock art too and a fresh antelope shed...good day.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That rock art is [bleep]' cool!

Travis
are the sage rats out yet in Oregon
As of last Monday, 7 days ago, Not really fully up and around just yet in NE Oregon. Got a few, but not the hundreds we usually get there. Planning on trying again this Saturday with a couple of guys from here.

gotta admit, if the 17 HMR was $5.00 a box, I'd shoot a lot more of it...

HM2

$187 for 2000 at SGAmmo. Only 47 cases left.
I am going to try to get over to Klamath this Saturday... supposed to be sunshine, for like the third day since early March...

been plenty of rain on the west side of the Cascades here..
Originally Posted by deflave
That rock art is [bleep]' cool!

Travis

Yes it is! And I like the peep sighted lever too.
Thank ya thank ya...

A good 'ol Marlin 39 of any vintage is a good 22 to have. Stupid accurate and it carries easy on those days you feel more like you're deer hunt'n than varmit hunt'n...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1 shot, 2 kills. Ruger 10/22, Nikon 3-9X40 Prostaff rimfire w/BDC scope, CCI Segmented 36gr Hollow Point, 60 yards. Mountain meadow, Plumas County, CA.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a Thirteen-lined ground squirrel (Ictidomys tridecemlineatus).
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
...that flopping around like a fish, we've coined that "flipperin'". One day out shooting 'dogs with a friend there was a marginally hit one doing it's best to flop it's way back to it's hole. My buddy couldn't quite spit out the correct word for it and it came out "git that flipperin' one". It was so funny at the time I couldn't shoot for laughin'.
The term stuck and is still good for a laugh.
We call it "Trouting" like when you pull a trout out of the water and onto the bank. eg.- "Hey, he's troutin'" or "He's doin the trout!"
Originally Posted by Bodei

[Linked Image]

That's a Thirteen-lined ground squirrel (Ictidomys tridecemlineatus).

No schit?......chipmonk is easier to type, than all that counting lines and speaking latin B.S..
Well, don't know if piney[red] squirrels count in this thread, but here in Indiana they are unregulated, and pretty much considered a pest. My buddy's woods/pond area is lousy with them. Heres 2-3 pics of ones I managed to get with my little H&R Sportster 22 LR. I won't even tell you how many I missed, except to say they are fast little boogers. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For those of you who don't know, they are about the size of those 13 sriped ground squirrels. Here in hoosierdom, we call em gophers. grin

maddog
Pretty cool maddog...I didnt know they were unregulated there...good deal, if I was there Id be hunting sqwuirrels year round....its one of my favorite things.
And oh, yeah, the Bubba Buddy is skooum..

Can you make me one for my .222 that holds a thousand rounds? grin
Yeah, but you'd need a tribe of gun bearers to carry it....whistle grin

maddog
Went looking for sheds/arrerheads with the 'twaux deaux' today(or however the hell you say triple deuce in French)....grin

The jackass rabbit's have really shed out, and slicked up, since the last one I whomped.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bunny Killer! shocked
Glad you waited till after easter.
Let's class this thread up a tad...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Travis
Glad the nylon 66 got in there....a bit of class still exists....

It flows freely from my truck, with the zebra stocked gun in it cool
Those torpedos will mess you up!

Where the hell you get those up in the desolate north?
Glad the nylon 66 got in there....a bit of class still exists....

It flows freely from my truck, with the zebra stocked gun in it cool

Of course it does...

Travis

Not as bad as microwave pork rinds...

Our IGA's beer selection is second to none. And for what could be the third time in my life, I'm not joking.

Travis
I saw a BIG JackRabbit at the end of the day while coming in out of the field... it was running thru the brush... how high its head was I thought it was a lab at first...

one of those Jackalopes they talk about????

didn't take any pics as the wife had the camera today... as it was prom night for Seafire jr...

late start and got over to Klamath at 2PM.... however from then to about 7 PM, I manage to get off about between 850 and 900 rounds via the 10/22...

interesting thing tho, in the next 15 minutes I killed 12 + sage rats, that were climbing on top of a dead seagull... don't know what for... but this was at about 75 yds, so they presented a good target for the 10/22... so Bang...

lotta "pups" out.. many of which found out they were in for a short existence.....by I had multiple holes where I had 3 to 5 dead sage rats around the same hole...

AC Lakey and his family had been out shooting before 1 PM, and I am sure they got a lot of them...but so did I in the afternoon and early evening... and I left with zillions still out there...
Yeah, there were plenty out yesterday. We took a couple hundred a piece which made for a good day for sure. The little ones are defiantly out which made for some fun, as Seafire said you could usually get four or five off the same mound before they figured things out. Yesterday I went to the same spot with some friends and had a similar day. Today would be another epic outing but I have other obligations. This is a fun time of the year for sure!
Went looking for sheds/arrerheads with the 'twaux deaux' today(or however the hell you say triple deuce in French)....grin

The jackass rabbit's have really shed out, and slicked up, since the last one I whomped.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Huntsman--that is a way kool rig!

Dober
Thanks, dober. I had one previously and traded it toward an AR back about '78-'79. Missed it ever since. So, I picked up a nib one last year and put 'er in a HS stock. Been replacing guns I regret selling, the last couple years. 63 s&w, colt peacemaker, 1911, marlin lever,and the 600......
[Linked Image]

ya learn something new every day...

I had NO IDEA Puerto Ricans were into 10/22s much less loved going out and varmint hunting.... grin

Trav, let Juan or Jose know that is a capable looking varmint rig... whistle

That Leupold looks kind of dull sitting up there on top... compared to the rest of the color scheme...

thought about having Leupold color plate it in a nice purple or so, to outset and accentuate the lime green yellow?
Racista!!! grin

Ugly is as ugly does...

Don't tell anybody this, but I tripped one of those Marlin lever .22 thingy's with no safety and they call it a Mountie or something? Anyway, this is what I bought with the money.

Travis
And I'll never forgive you for it.
But this one is prettier?

Travis
Nope......

Weather permitting, I'm gonna hit the killing field tommorow... grin
Best of luck. I found a great place Saturday, but holy Toledo, a lot of my best spots are completely dried up.

Travis
I noticed its kind of a 'lite' year on the Hi-line....too much winter last year...
Hey Wade & Safariman & crew, fans are awaiting a body count. How did it go? Good, bad, weather, abundant targets or not?

I had fun grin
No problems with any gear, great weather, the company wasnt too bad smile The numbers were down but between the three of us we still managed to kill more then a few, we werent keeping a body count but the I'd say well over 100 but I'd guess 200 would be pushing it. Wade had the camera so we'll have to wait for him to post any pictures.

PS. Safariman, thanks a bunch for haveing us over again this year I realy had a good time.

Not as bad as microwave pork rinds...

Our IGA's beer selection is second to none. And for what could be the third time in my life, I'm not joking.

Sierra Nevada absolutely my favorite. You guys out west need to get you some Southern Pecan from Sweet Magnolia if you like that stuff. I will make you drive down here for a refill

Travis
this is how its done on the range. our rats aint that big.

[Linked Image]

20 yards out with my Gamo.

Don't think he would have looked to good with my .243 or .300 wizzum
Originally Posted by Jamie
I had fun grin
No problems with any gear, great weather, the company wasnt too bad smile The numbers were down but between the three of us we still managed to kill more then a few, we werent keeping a body count but the I'd say well over 100 but I'd guess 200 would be pushing it. Wade had the camera so we'll have to wait for him to post any pictures.

PS. Safariman, thanks a bunch for haveing us over again this year I realy had a good time.

Safe to say a grand time was had by all bipedal mamilians.

I really think that 200 is closer to the correct body count.
Sounds like a good time and good shoot. I thought Jamie was in on this but wasn't sure.

Best of luck. I found a great place Saturday, but holy Toledo, a lot of my best spots are completely dried up.

Travis

Sounds like a real glory hole.
Sorry to hear about the dried up spots. They heal with time.
When you're able to hit it again try
Kennedy's in Harlem. A short drive and new prospects.
You're like the tour guide I'd always dreamed of.

Silly of you to think I've done no damage in Harlem though...

Travis
You're like the tour guide I'd always dreamed of.

Silly of you to think I've done no damage in Harlem though...

Travis

True dat! You my friend are a trail blazer. Get it?
Kinda like tail blazer. I need a drink.....
Drink sound good. Wageslave smart.

Travis
I'm gonna go pick up Kamerad Les for a drink...just got in from the killing fields...a couple pics....

Killing fields on the Rocky mountain Front...it doesnt suck... grin

[Linked Image]

Casualties..

[Linked Image]

Lunch! It didnt suck either wink

[Linked Image]
Did the wind blow over there today Ingwe? I was hopin to take the boat out again this evening but I dont feel like messin with the wind.
Nice pictures Ingwe, someday I want to kill critters with you. grin

I just whacked a squirrel with my bow and like I said last time I got pictures. So now you guys know I do stuff outside like Logcutter. whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2nd kill with my new bow.

DT: wind was blowin' like normal...about 20 mph....
Gophs all gave up and went under at noon...wtf? Some were gathering nest building stuf so I suspect they are undergournd nesting....

Winnie: looks like you got more accomplished today with that bow that Turdcutter is able to prove... grin
Nice shootin' ingwe!

Travis
Werent as many gophs on the front either...this must be a down year in their cycle...
Originally Posted by piero

Killed both with my Marlin 981T 22lr.

How's that 981 servin' you? Got a good mind to trade in my Jam O' Mattic savage 64 and get one. Does she get good groups? Don't mean to thread steal but it's hard to find info on these.

I have a 981TR. I hit 8 of 9 shots on sage rats at 160 yards yesterday with no rest or bipod (The miss was my fault - wind). It will hit shotgun shells at 200 yards and I have made a couple of one shot hits on a quarter at 200 yards.

Like all 22's, you have to match your ammunition to the barrel. Also, I had to bed the receiver (The synthetic stock comes with pillars)to get this accuracy. Most shoot 2-4" groups at 100 yards out of the box. Bedding the receiver will reduce a 2" group to 1.25". The Model TR like mine can be made more accurate than the T by bedding the tube. A group of 4" indicates uneven barrel expansion and you have about a 50-50 chance of buying one in this factory made condition. Mine shot 4" out of the box but I applied the fix.
Bedding is for flowers, plastic is for toys, stainless steel is for sinks...It all means nothing if the gun doesn't look good and then turn the critters into soup...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
are the sage rats out yet in Oregon

Yep!
The wind REALLY picked up here this afternoon. Glad I didnt take the boat out!

Werent as many gophs on the front either...this must be a down year in their cycle...

I think that might be the case this year. Although, a couple more weeks time could change that. Seems this time of year there are usually more out though. Babies should be coming out in a 2-3 weeks smile Went and got my boat from the rance a couple weeks ago and brought little bro with our 17HM2s. We drove all over the big field and probably only shot 30 or so. Their numbers were nothing like usual.
Numbers are way down. Haven't spoken to a landowner yet that doesn't agree.

Travis
shrapnel,

Doesn't weather influence the point of impact when you use a wood stock? What year did they stop using wood stocks?

Travis
[Linked Image]

so where the heck is the 'splat factor' at???

I mean, if there isn't carnage, where is the reason to go out and shoot them?

the zillions I wasted with a 10/22 last weekend with 40 grain HP Lead bullets, showed a lot more internal organs afterwards than those...

sorry but mangled rats and red mist is he entire reason for going out there isn't it?

I mean, sure it is fun to shoot moving targets, and tightening up one's shooting skills...

but bang flop is for deer hunting.. not shooting rodents...

rodents ya need kerslap... or that little "Whomp" when you hit them with a 22 LR..although head shots with a 22 are definitely entertaining...

the 'fish out of water' death dance...

our buddy Shrapnel gets it... AIRBORNE MF!! AIRBORNE!!!...
Seafire: there was lots of that going on, but for whatever reason, I don't want to post pics of disarticulated pieces....trust me, it was hard enough to find those five that were still relatively intact enough for a photo sick
Seafire: there was lots of that going on, but for whatever reason, I don't want to post pics of disarticulated pieces....trust me, it was hard enough to find those five that were still relatively intact enough for a photo sick

Going all PETA on us huh?

no worries...

Simple explanation: you're a gentleman.. I'm not... whistle

( I was just ribben'ya a little bit is all..)
Political correctness is something I aspire to... whistle
shrapnel,

Doesn't weather influence the point of impact when you use a wood stock? What year did they stop using wood stocks?

Travis

Who cares about weather, point of impact is all that matters. When you have Palsy, you have every shootable target covered at one time or another. They haven't stopped making wood stocks, they just don't ship any to Havre because of the type of person buyng guns up there would just burn the stock for warmth anyhow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My plan worked. You made me laugh.

Travis
Oh, and another thing about cycles, they have 2 wheels...

Cycles with rabbits and gophers is like cutting the end of your roast before you roast it, a total myth. Any small game blaster worth his salt knows that regardless of weather, April is the worst month for shooting these harmless creatures.

They are nesting now and having babies, May will blossom with a new crop of critters that will make you wonder why you even wondered...
Not the spots I'm seeing. Them fellers are g-o-n-e gone.

Travis
My plan worked. You made me laugh.

Travis

He made me laugh too...he's got your azz pegged....

I know hes right about April too...I just HAD to get out and kill something yesterday... grin

With synthetic, stainlees AND a touch of palsy....

or it just coulda been the DTs........ whistle
April or not, it was a 100 round an hour proposition Saturday.

But that was one spot.

Travis

Travis

O.K. Smarty, try a few miles east of Havre, like up around Turner. I will bet you a six pack of skunky beer, that any gophers you aren't seeing are still there, or blown farther east due to the wonderful winds you guys endure in that Highline paradise...
Political correctness is something I aspire to... whistle

next time you are over this way for your dog training stuff in Phoenix... drop down to Ashland then... they'll love ya!

just remember to bring your Birkenstocks.. and have an Obama 2012 on your Luggage..... and I can guarantee ya, you'll end up getting lucky with a 60 something year old hippie chick or two...

they'll "Love YOU LONG TIME!"
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Travis

O.K. Smarty, try a few miles east of Havre, like up around Turner. I will bet you a six pack of skunky beer, that any gophers you aren't seeing are still there, or blown farther east due to the wonderful winds you guys endure in that Highline paradise...

I'm not being a smart ass. I do shoot in Turner and around Hogeland. The numbers are way down. I'm not comparing the last part of May in 2011 to the last part of April 2012. This is an apples to apples comparison and the numbers are down.

Travis
Does this mean I owe you a 6 pack of skunky beer???
I would prefer a hug.

Travis
This time, you made me laff...
I owed you.

Are you in the GTO and en route to Glasgow right now?

Travis
Nope, I got it stuck in the garden trying to pull out the roto-tiller, I am going to have to wait for dryer weather to get it out.

I was thinking that maybe they could move that shoot down to Reed Point, where I will be turkey hunting, then after first light and filling my turkey tag, I could dazzle you guys with some of my shooting prowess and my 1903-A3...
That would be up to scenar. Unfortunately, I'm not in charge. Which is difficult for me to deal with.

Travis
OK...this might be the last pic from the killing fields this spring...

[Linked Image]
I've been too busy knocking the lake trout dead to bother with ground squirrels much but here is a pic from a recent detour from the Flaming Gorge.
[Linked Image]
Soooooo, are the lake trout catch-n-kills like they are in Yellowstone? I believe if you dont kill them, you get in trouble....
No, they are managed as a trophy fish in the gorge. A limit of 8 and only 1 can be over 24 inches.

Burbot/ling on the other hand MUST be killed if caught. Signs posted at most access points make it very clear. I pulled 2 ling through the ice this year that were 32" plus. They are a realitively new exotic and are growing like shrooms in chit with all the food in that res.
Interesting...Lake trout are pretty good on the Grille....Ling are pretty common here, but nothing that size!
Lakers are quite good, at least the ones around here are. Some people say they are oily but I have not found that to be true.

Ling are equally as good. Strange considering the rotted crap they eat. Kind of like catfish.

Strange how in fish we people eat the predators/scavangers and turn our noses up at the plant eaters like carp (at least in civilized countries), but in terrestrial critters it is reversed. I'm throwing up just thinking about preferring coyote steak to elk steak.
OK...this might be the last pic from the killing fields this spring...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laugh I am jealous, don't mind me. laugh
Holy Crap its dry over here. I have only seen a few babies out and that is only where the grass is relatively close to water and growing good. Everything else up here is crunchy. If we dont get rain we are screwed.
DT: We just made a big loop through Browning, then on to Chester, then back around to Augusta...the numbers are low, didnt see very many young ones, and it is dry....however the alfalfa is getting high enough to hide the gophs, and the wheat will be there in a couple weeks. The best part of the season is almost over and a quick count says I only shot about 1450 rounds of centerfire, and a couple hundred rimfires....thats a slow week, let alone most of a season....
ingwe,
I hope you bring along a medium bore for those close range "Death in the Tall Grass" shots!
whelennut
DT: We just made a big loop through Browning, then on to Chester, then back around to Augusta...the numbers are low, didnt see very many young ones, and it is dry....however the alfalfa is getting high enough to hide the gophs, and the wheat will be there in a couple weeks. The best part of the season is almost over and a quick count says I only shot about 1450 rounds of centerfire, and a couple hundred rimfires....thats a slow week, let alone most of a season....

No doubt. I hardly shot any at all. There are a bunch of baby gophs in the school yard at the school I work at in Conrad. My finger gets itchy every time I see them. I guess its creek fishin time <grin>
Originally Posted by whelennut
ingwe,
I hope you bring along a medium bore for those close range "Death in the Tall Grass" shots!
whelennut

Not a bad idea if I have to follow up by tracking a wounded goph to his lair...its a rare event, but it happens...

I shot a number of them with the .204 and 32 grainers that I thought I made good hits on...but they disappeared...don't know where they went..... whistle
Killed about 200+ squeakers last few days with 2 other guys. Shooting in southern oregon. They were everywhere! My fiocchi 40gr .223 vmax is devastating on them lol
welcome to the Campfire Scroder!

what part of down here where you shooting?
welcome to the Campfire Scroder!

what part of down here where you shooting?

Around Klamath Falls. We wanted to do a pay shoot up in Chiloquin but got a call last week there weren't enough squeakers to kill!

Dave
I can't imagine having to pay at all...

plenty of opportunity in Bonanza, Lakeview, Klamath, and pretty much all in between...

usually just for the asking...
Love this thread...
I'm glad Rick listened to me.

[Linked Image]

Travis
This is for all you old guys.

[Linked Image]

Travis
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
.223 meets prarie dog.
Had a good squeek season here in Northeastern Calif. Numbers were not as high as last year, but still damn good. Lol I would include pictures but everytime I get extra money for a camera I buy a rifle instead. Ed

[Linked Image]

Travis

That yote died from fear of plaid. WTF? Glad you were out of town, so you weren't seen by humans.....
Dat yote has the biggest ears and smallest body of any Ive seen...

And those plaid shorts....sheesh, either its " BrokeBack Prairie-the Sequel" or Hes killed a jewish tourist from Miami and stolen his clothes....

laugh laugh
it's a Rez yote.

And those plaid shorts....sheesh, either its " BrokeBack Prairie-the Sequel" or Hes killed a jewish tourist from Miami and stolen his clothes....

TFF.

The sun reflected off the aviators and confused it. Then it realized it was about to be shot buy a dude running around the prairie in boxers. So it shcit it's guts out in a last act of defiance.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The sun reflected off the aviators and confused it. Then it realized it was about to be shot buy a dude running around the prairie in boxers. So it shcit it's guts out in a last act of defiance.

Nice cover. But we both know you raped it to death. Savage...

Good morning by the way.

Travis

LMFAO.

And GFY.

Travis
A Good For You too Travis! laugh
Thank you sir.

Travis
May 29th...near Wheat Basin, Montana.

[Linked Image]
Beautiful rifle. What's the specs on it?
Thanks!

Nothing special really -- just a factory 700 SPS 223 bedded and pillared in a Remington Sporter McSwirly (60 orange, 20 gray, 20 black). Scope is Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS.
Put a new stock on the .22 a week or so back, and had to get it bloody. Got more chickmumps (or as bodei would say, Ictidomys tridecemlineatus'es).....

[Linked Image]

Woodsmanized one, too...
[Linked Image]

couple buns...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

a pairy doug...
[Linked Image]

jackass raggit, too....
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_1418-1.jpg[/img]

jackassed one with the lever 22 mag
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_1385.jpg[/img]

Had to take out the restocked 204, too....
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_1449.jpg[/img]

Damn Don..what are the poor coyotes gonna eat around that place?

Sheesh, 8 pages of sissy guns...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I guess you don't need aviators when you've got a BAR.... grin
Where's your Colt Monitor, shrap?
Those "Stripey skerrlz" shore are purty!
yup, dey is....You funnin' me, or do you still really call 'em,'icky-tido-mees tri-dee-cee-em-line-asses'?.
Not a Gopher/Sage Rat/Prairie Dog/Rock Chuck but damnit it was one of the loudest THUDS!!! I have ever heard a bullet make.

That and he had a set of nuts that made me jealous...
I have a renouned faith in my 204.
Poor tailgate pic too: forgot the camera last night.
[Linked Image]
Oh, and 30-30s make rabbits go splat. In case you were wondering...
So do .204s...dats why this photo is 'cropped'.....yuk... eek

[Linked Image]
i dont believe you Tom... grin

prove it!
No blood and guts photos from this dude..I leave that up to you...uhhhhh..'less sophisticated' types..... whistle
why, whatever do you mean? grin

[Linked Image]
I can see what you mean by the blood and gut photos. I have a couple pics of a trapped coon with an arrow sticking in its side, as well as a few others that I have no desire to show.

I hate being nonchalant about my hunting to appease the hippies, but I also won't go out of my way to give them fuel.

That being said,
[Linked Image]

Still cleaning them out of my yard.. grin

[Linked Image]
OK...but I had to blow up a LOT of them to finally get a few lightly grazed with the .223 in order for a pic... grin

[Linked Image]
Check out my new sage rat vid ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B2vQkU83xQ&list=LLs11Zf6ab54i8DrCAEfRslw&feature=mh_lolz
[Linked Image]

Awesome video!
road hunter.......grin
good vid dude!
love it.
Thanks, working on another one now with footage shot earlier in the year.
well, hurry up.
Great video. Montana? Wyoming? Downtown LA?
Thanks for sharing the equipment used. That .204 Ruger sure gave some great air time to those critters!

[Linked Image]

Travis

Did you shoot it with the Delta Elite or scare it to death?

grin
I didn't take a picture (I forgot blush) of what happens when a broadhead is introduced to a squirrel's head. I'll try and duplicate it tomorrow.
7-08.

Travis
You think you might have been under gunned, sir?

wink
Latest greatest squirrel killen video
Bodei,

FANTASTIC vids!! ! Thank you.
Bodei,

was that here in So Oregon, over near Klamath or in No California... the terrain looks strikingly familiar....

so do the results...

great video... and especially liked the American Flag and eagle at the end...

last time Iron Eagle and I went out, we had an Eagle over across the field that seemed to be in the same spot for hours...didn't seem to move, so talk about patience..

he was still the entire time, I actually walked over toward it to see if it was a decoy to scare away the sage rats from a water pump over there...

it stayed almost perfectly still as I walked about 500 yds or so across the field to verify one way or the other...it took wing when I got about 100 yds from it...

but it had seemed almost perfectly still for almost 3 hours...

evidently very patient birds...
Yeah, its between KFalls and Macdoel. Lots of eagles around there. I wanna hit the rock chucks next time. I shot four different areas this year and all four were outstanding.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those little stripeys are so cool. Ours are so "plain jane." they are all red on he inside though! [Linked Image]
laugh laugh

[Linked Image]

He's a tricycle now? grin
Tripod....tricycles move..... grin
Yeah. Couldn't find the fourth wheel.....
When the Buck Mark get's in I hope to go around popping squirrels with it.

I know of a place with tons of squirrels, should be fun!
'Tis the season for Rabbits.... Browning Buck Mark with 36 grain Remington Golden Bullet. ( These things run pretty good through the Browning shocked )
[Linked Image]

First handgun kill that was not for euthanasia.

Sorry for the crappy cell pic but it was all I had.

You misspelled 'youth in asia'......
You misspelled 'youth in asia'......

You might offend someone, be PC, thank you.

wink laugh grin
A little help identifying this kinda gofer?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

skink?
No. I had on deodorant......

He came outta a gofer hole to attack. Good thing I had my belly gun......
I was wondering if you used enough gun...obviously so....
funny thing is, I missed. But the shockwave and ensueing craterization of his immediate area, seemed to do the trick. kinda like a battleships 16 inch shell landing next to ya......
Sweet......

I shot a rattler from about 2 feet away with a .38 special shotshell. Blew a baseball sized crater full of dust where his head was...

Problem was..I missed too! shocked The pattern must have gone all around, but not on him. When he pulled his head out of that dust crater, let me tell you, he was open for business! eek

Maybe I better get a belly gun like yours..... whistle
A little help identifying this kinda gofer?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Why did you shoot Hilliary without any makeup on? wink
I didn't wanna watch her in one more Geico commercial....
laugh

I have a question for you, what 22lr round do you use for varmints?

My rabbit was taken using a 36 grain plated hollow point, the hole you see is the exit. I want something that will blow the crap out of squirrels.
I use the federal bulks from walmart. If I want real damage, the 17 machII with v-maxes gets the nod.
laugh

I have a question for you, what 22lr round do you use for varmints?

My rabbit was taken using a 36 grain plated hollow point, the hole you see is the exit. I want something that will blow the crap out of squirrels.

22 Magnum froom my PMR30 makes some NASTY holes and gut bombs, but you cannot buy those or own them in Californication due to the 30 round magazine. Since you already had a mega sweet 22LR revolver, might shoulda got its twin, perhaps with a longer barrel, in 22WMR. THEN we would be talkin some hole damage. But then there would be less rabbit left to eat, and them is GOOD eatin. My 22WMR blows the squirrels nearly in half <G>
I use the federal bulks from walmart. If I want real damage, the 17 machII with v-maxes gets the nod.

I have been to three Wal Marts and they have all been out of Federals.

I have my
Remington Golden Bullets
Winchster 555 pack
CCI Mini Mags

All are 36 grain plated hollow points.

CCI Mini-mags are the pick of the litter...
CCI Mini mag versus can filled with water. shocked

[Linked Image]
That can differs from one shot with the 36 gr HP, how?
I hit the can when I had the CCI's loaded... grin
My Grandson from Arizona first dog.
[Linked Image]

And his next 8 shots
[Linked Image]

Hooked him up with an old 17 Remington so he could see his shots. That works!

Took a sashay around the prairie this morning. Should have taken more ammo than the rifle holds........oh well, I was 4 outta 5.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Dat ain't no Walmart bulk pack damage. grin

Nice.
Dat ain't my 22 rimfire, either.......Da rodents have learned to stay outta range of my plinkers

Blitzkreig'd 'em with a 204 ruger ultralite running 39 gr BlitzKings. Fling factor is high.......
Nice choice in cartridge WASP!

Travis

Travis

Still jealous?........... grin

Someday YOU will .204 my friend.
Dat ain't my 22 rimfire, either.......Da rodents have learned to stay outta range of my plinkers

Blitzkreig'd 'em with a 204 ruger ultralite running 39 gr BlitzKings. Fling factor is high.......

I like these more better........

Rodents been edumacated........keep it up.
will continue edumacating them on rodential extintification, fer shure....
will continue edumacating them on rodential extintification, fer shure....

The whole famn damily getting edumacated/extintification together thread was even mo' better.
Thanks for your dedication........and flinging.
Coming from you, the thanks mean, well, ummm.....something?
Coming from you, the thanks mean, well, ummm.....something?

Exactly. Women feel the same about me.
I reckon so. But rest ass-shured, I shall 'Endeavor to Persevere' in the gofer fields. It's my High Calling.......
Originally Posted by wageslave

Travis

Never...

Travis
Resistance is futile...
Resistance is futile...

Must be a homo thing......

I reckon so. But rest ass-shured, I shall 'Endeavor to Persevere' in the gofer fields. It's my High Calling.......

I will rest better now, thank you. : grin

I have a high calling.

It's purty low, though.

Travis

Never...

Travis

grin

I almost bought a 700 .17.........

For a donor.
I heard they are good for that....
All progress in the developement of varmint cartridges reached its all time perfection and pinnacle with the introduction of the 222 Remington. Someday ya'll will see the light and enter varmint shooting nirvannah.
nirvana is mighty fine, but orgasmic nirvana 'feels' better.....the 204 was developed just for that ejaculative reason.
Got my bases covered with a deuce, and a .204...I'm ready for nirvana...and that other stuff Don mentioned! laugh
nirvana is mighty fine, but orgasmic nirvana 'feels' better.....the 204 was developed just for that ejaculative reason.

Yes.
The .17 Rem and .222 are the calibers that pampered great white hunters sit around discussing in smoking rooms with a Cuban and brandy, while they tell you how great it was, back in the day.
The .204 is a rock star. You don't wanna hear how many he abused last night and today looks the same.
No, no no.... The 204 is the wannab look alike Rocks star who brags about what or who he did but is actally lying like a dog. The REAL rock star is the 22-250AI- Abuser of little critters extrodiaire. His uglier big brother, also an abuser of mighty sorts is the 22 Cheetah aka 22/243 smile
No, no no.... The 204 is the wannab look alike Rocks star who brags about what or who he did but is actally lying like a dog. The REAL rock star is the 22-250AI- Abuser of little critters extrodiaire. His uglier big brother, also an abuser of mighty sorts is the 22 Cheetah aka 22/243 smile

Now you are sounding like a Leonetti's sipper....... grin
Nope...the .204 IS a Rock Star...and I'm a groupie... cool
Ingwe groupie or groper!

Now you are sounding like a Leonetti's sipper....... grin

Pendleton bourbon or a plain lime MArgarita for me,
22-250 does rock. I have one, in "sucks". I do like a little "mist" in the weeds at times. grin
Wish it was AI. Will be some time when this barrel is toast.
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Ingwe groupie or groper!

Yes.

and

Yes.
even the .380 is getting in on the chickmumps....

[Linked Image]
Was it dead?
Hardly looks wounded.
You know you can't hunt gophers with a .380.

so ya got a 204 running 32 VMAXEs at 4200 fps...

and then I got where I can run 35 grain NTXs at 4200 also out of a 223...and an AI or 22.204 might be able to pump that up some more....with a bullet that is longer than a 32 grain V Max...

I still say a 223 has more choices available and with the right bullets equal a 204...

plus with an Ingwe painted stock... I say they would be equal!
There is too much room in the gun cabinet for pragmatism...
My youngest kid is out for a couple days. He's a headhunter.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm a gutshooter myself......

[Linked Image]
EEEEEEEeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!

You big meanie! grin
cotched up a gofer-eater for pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

go git 'em, little buddy......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
More non-varmit carnage...
That model 99 is TOO cool! What caliber? I will throw out a guess or two, 22Savage HP, 250/3000.....

We just GOTTA know!
.250-3000 with Weaver 2.5 in Stiths...it is BADASS
cotched up a gofer-eater for pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yow! now that's a bull snake. I've seen big ones coil and mimic a rattlesnake, even to the point of shaking their tail.

go git 'em, little buddy......
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
.250-3000 with Weaver 2.5 in Stiths...it is BADASS

Yep, WAAAYY excellent peashooter there. I would like first shot at it if you ever think about trading it off.
[Linked Image]
look at the size of that bastid...............

[Linked Image]

always wanted to do one of them sit-way-back, hero shots.grin.

restocked the UL 204 with wood and peeled the camo tape.

[Linked Image]
Dat actually makes a nice lookin gun Don....but the .204 sux...I know....I'm trying to burn out the first barrel on mine in record time grin
Goliath.

Rifle looks purty.

That nice shine gives them gophers a chance now.
I'm deeply hurt that you guys didn't have the common courtesy to congratulate me on the new 'World Record Largest Prairie Dog Ever'. I think he'll out-score the one that's advertized all the way across Kansas on I-70.....

See if I ever pat you suckers on the back for YOUR trophy kills.

Guess I better go find a needy family that wants a years supply of fresh meat for the freezer.......
I thought Goliath WAS purty high praise......... grin

Actually, the jealousy over the sweet killing stick blinded our admiration of the critter. Yeah, that's it.
ass kisser......GFY

laugh laugh

I been accused of THAT before........alot... on one thread. grin

Gut shooter.
I'm kinda surprised the 'gang' didn't follow you over here. Ya know, just to keep in practice.
Happens.
We'll keep this one to carnage, or found while in search of, info. grin

[Linked Image]
OK....

[Linked Image]
duals.....

while on the subject, do folks consider goats the enemy in your neck?
I think there is genuine grower hate here.
Hay growers anyway.
When asking permission it's usually "shoot them all".
Nope. few guys will let you on.....That don't mean they like 'em, tho.
The deucey got the nod tonight...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What bullets do use in your 222?
40 grain nosler ballistic tips
back to the 204 for tonights soiree....

[Linked Image]
the Ruger piston gun needed a turn.....

[Linked Image]

2012 ain't over yet, fellers. time for some of you guys to step up and keep this thread alive till the enda the year
whomped another big'un. this time with a 17 hmr.....

[Linked Image]
Ground hoggin in good ol Pa. 575yd'er shootin [Linked Image]
Last night 185TTSX from .338-06

[Linked Image]
77/17 was feeling neglected.....

[Linked Image]
shocked
[Linked Image]
I've been too damn busy chasing these things around to bother much with varmits. I wish there were rock chucks around here...I'd be way more interested in chasing them around instead of burning $100 worth of diesel to go play with forest grouse.
[Linked Image]
I never thought I would say it, but I miss the Bitterroot's hunting, though I see more elk around here on any given weekend than I will see all season actually looking for them in the Bitterroot.
Figured this might be a good idea as a place to see what everyone is blowin to pieces and what they are using to create the pieces. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You might want to tone this sort of talk down. As a life-long hunter, I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt you're not doing any of us any favors.
swell.....
a lifelong holier-than-thou just popped off......
Originally Posted by gulo

You might want to tone this sort of talk down. As a life-long hunter, I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt you're not doing any of us any favors.

I apologize for his crude language.

Here is one I carefully harvested. I lovingly placed my 150 grain TTSX into his shoulder blades, insuring a quick kill...errrm harvest.

[Linked Image]

laugh
Good job.
Oh, the humanity!
I dont usually even take gory pics, but i was cleaning my camera, and it went off, so I saved the pic for just this occasion, and for gulo. I harvested this noble game animal is as a humane way as I could...I vaporized his entrails...

[Linked Image]
And while this isnt really gory, I harvested these denizens of the grasslands via a semi-automatic pseudo assault rifle and a drive-by shooting laugh

i was wearing blue, so I was a 'crip'...they were the 'bloods'...
[Linked Image]
And I'll e-post this for gulo...in case he wonders what happened to his Easter eggs this year. grin

[Linked Image]
And I'll e-post this for gulo...in case he wonders what happened to his Easter eggs this year. grin

[Linked Image]

I think that rabbit may need better glasses, his scope is mounted pretty far back. whistle
Figured this might be a good idea as a place to see what everyone is blowin to pieces and what they are using to create the pieces.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tell Ingrid Newkirk and Sarah Mclachlan "Hello and GFY" when you guys are done discussing these photos that all our crippled cows and broken front shocks asked me to post
Whatcha doin' there? Harvesting the backstraps from that pile?
Good post DT... grin

[Linked Image]

I think that rabbit may need better glasses, his scope is mounted pretty far back. whistle

Easy on him,
He taught Jeff-O everything he knows and look how well THAT went. grin
Hey...some people , especially democrats, are slow learners...

GFY.
Hey...some people , especially democrats, are slow learners...

GFY.

You short busers also......... grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

Happy Friday poobot.
Course Friday may be just another day in montana methuselah's world. grin
Whatcha doin' there? Harvesting the backstraps from that pile?

Cuttin tails off. This was during a gopher shooting contest held by our local sportsman's club and you had to bring tails back.

Here is one more Gulo...

1/2lb can of tannerite next to a gopher hole and waited for him to come out...
Good stuff! You know guys, I shoot plenty of varmints, too. I could take plenty of pics like this as well, and the scene doesn't bother me at all, after all, i've seen people in the same condition. All I am suggesting is that, as they taught us in combat, only an idiot puts ammunition in the lap of the enemy.

Knock yourselves out.

Knock yourselves out.

We shall!!! laugh

And if you are leaving the thread now, we can do it without Holier-than-thou condescension! laugh laugh
[Linked Image]
I couldn't find a rodent this afternoon, to save my azz. Did see this little bug-eating varmint darting around the prairie, tho. At first, I figgered to cotch him and put him in a jar, as a pet. After a fruitless and wind-sucking chase and tripping over the dog into a yucca, I finally decided he got the best of me. As we were both catching our wind, I unlimbered the pistoly and let one fly from about 10 feet. The result surprised the heck outta both of us, him more than me......grin

I wish I was video'ed during the capture attempt, from first dodging and darting in failed attempts to grab him, to then dancing and chasing going for the stomp, to ending the ordeal by cheating from distance.....

purty proud of the headshot, whilst outta breath and heaving....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Excellent!

Didn't ruin any meat! laugh
But, I was SO looking forward to a brains-and-egg breakfast in the mornin'......
Didn't know you were from the south....
south o' you some...
I know that, and I blame you personally for the 'Great Migration' of jackrabbits not being able to make it this far north...
You haven't seen the 'great northward push' of chickmumps either, have ya? I reckon not.....Mainly because my job, is to keep the buggers in check and to keep them from moving north to bother my nieces in bozeman and helena. They's askeered of rodents......The pickin's are getting slim. Only one chickmump today, but the gals is safe from scary dreams yet again.....

[Linked Image]
And I too will sleep easier.... grin

But it is my destiny to stem the southward flow of Columbian and Richardsons Ground Squirrels...

Rest assured....literally.... cool
So, dat's why I ain't see'd any this year......
They caught the " red dot of doom...."

[Linked Image]
First handgun squirrel!

[Linked Image]

15 yards, one shot.
[Linked Image]
huntsman,
Did you pack him out whole or bone him first?
Nice skerrl kills! Nice pistola!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now, you're gonna get gulo upsetwith those gory shots.....
Just trying to stain the 'lap of the enemy' with blood, gut-juice and other 'gore'......
grin
[Linked Image]

Nice
Anyone Can shoot em off a bench, but it takes a real wack-job to actually stalk em with shooting stix.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm just 'wacky' enuff to not want to walk the prairie with a bench and stool on my back. That said, I'm a weenie so I don't mind packing stix....and a milk stool if the cactus is bad.
'Real' men sit in the cacti....

Just sayin'..... wink
'Real' men sit in the cacti....

Just sayin'..... wink

They sit in more than one at
once?
Real men got skillz. Or tin pants.
already admitted to bein' a weenie..... just hate kakti in da [bleep].... Besides, the stool is padded...grin
I never said I sit in it..

I said Real men do... grin
already admitted to bein' a weenie..... just hate kakti in da [bleep].... Besides, the stool is padded...grin

Cactus and varmints, they mix well.

[Linked Image]
Gulo is gonna be upset with you...

Think about that when you are trying to fall asleep tonight...
Gulo is gonna be upset with you...

Think about that when you are trying to fall asleep tonight...

Yeah, there is that. Lord, I apologize for that right there.

P.S. I pm'd him to reassure him that no cacti were injured in the making of this photo.
Thanks for the heads up.
At least you didnt show any cacti with their pithy guts scattered all over the place...
At least you didnt show any cacti with their pithy guts scattered all over the place...

Yes, I admit to killing cacti in my younger days.
Since I switched to Barnes I only wound them and they live to splatter carnage over another day. We all know coppers don't kill schitt.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
How about a regular old tree climbing squirrel??

[Linked Image]

Ben
That answers the question I posted on the other thread! laugh

Squirrel hunting was always one of my favorite things....
That works too buddy!
couldn't seal the deal with the .22 today. Everything was outta range. Good thing his big brother .204 was along.....

[Linked Image]
Looks like that left a mark.....
I hope you're gonna eat that cactus after shooting it!
I hope you're gonna eat that cactus after shooting it!

You have to kill it, before you can grill it and that would be wrong.
couldn't seal the deal with the .22 today. Everything was outta range. Good thing his big brother .204 was along.....

[Linked Image]

I'm liking those new stocks Don... cool

[Linked Image]

Use enough gun!
[Linked Image]
You've been killing varmints again...you pizz me off....
better off, than on......
This-un had his domicile decorated with skulls and bones for halloween. Musta been the neighborhood haunted house. Oh well, now there will be more blood, guts and bones available to spook all the little trick-o-treaties....

[Linked Image]
You're just a mean person....
[Linked Image]
the VT needed one today....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mtcurman
How about a regular old tree climbing squirrel??

[Linked Image]

Ben

Awesome pic.

Nice rimfires too.

Travis
huntsman,

You are going to force me to buy one of those bolt Ruger rimfires...

Travis
Thanks 'flave! Here's another Nash smoked with the smokepole... grin

.32 caused this squirrel to lose his mind! grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
Lovin' it!

You guys cook those ones up? I love squirrel and I miss hunting them in the hardwoods.

Travis
We're stocking up for squirrel pie... cool Ordinarily we'd drop 'em in the Fry Daddy, but we've got a big family shindig next weekend so we figured we'd donate a squirrel pot-pie, or two depending on how many we can kill! grin
Good stuff.

Travis
Got tired of seeing all your midwestern gore so here is one from the east coast
[Linked Image]
huntsman,
You are going to force me to buy one of those bolt Ruger rimfires...Travis

get the 17hmr..... thank me later.

Had to pop another one to keep this thread goin'....

[Linked Image]
Nash torched another with the .32... He didn't waste any meat! grin

[Linked Image]

Man, I gotta catch up! laugh
Cool beans!I got a couple myself yesterday...Rogue City Squirrels, tryin' to flank the old home place.... whistle
Tired of squirrel pics yet?? grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nash and I had a good hunt last evening... I got two and he got one. smile

Ben
Looks like Nash is going 'modern' grin

That head shooting with a muzzle stuffer is not an easy thing to do....I hope these guys appreciate it..

Squirrel pot pie? grin
( Ive still got , and am using,, your recipe!)
Squirrel pot pie? grin
( Ive still got , and am using,, your recipe!)

Change o' plans... Squirrel gumbo! cool
add some prairie dog to it... good chance to pull one over, on the guests....
add some prairie dog to it... good chance to pull one over, on the guests....

grin

Looks like Nash is going 'modern' grin

Nash is still ducking his head for that little discretion.
He was lectured long and hard about the questionable character displayed by those types of people who will shoot eating squirrels with shot. (nearly blind old men with single shots are excused} He has assured me that from here on he will only be using .22s, traditional black-powder rifles, or his bow.
It always pays to keep right after these boys in these matters.
Good thing you were able to nip this heresy in the bud!

And I agree on the shooting squirrels with a shotgun...anybody that would do that would fish for trout with worms.... grin
Just stumbled onto this thread. Lack of hay cutting this year killed my groundhog hunting. This was a video I shot in the spring and a picture of one of the last groundhogs I shot with the 243win this year at 350yds followed by one of the first at 311yds. The others are with the 17rem I was breaking in. I guess the varminting will be over for me until next April except for a few grey squirrels here and there. Hopefully I can pistol whip a few next week with the MKII Ruger.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A few with the 17rem Model 7 after coyote hunting. All three were taken off the sticks with the bottom one getting a head shot at 98yds.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ACorey, that's a nice looking Model 7! cool

Gathered some more limb bacon this evening... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
"limb bacon"... grin
Ben: Check out the squirrel recipe in the small game forum...its the BEST!
Thanks Ben, love that smokepole you guys use. Limb bacon laugh.
Got a couple tree rats myself this evening. Took about 15 minutes to get these.
[Linked Image]
Here's the end result of those fuzzy leetle squirrels... gumbo! grin

[Linked Image]
Ben, that looks yummy. What are the green things in it? I had some green things hanging out of this mornings bounty. Somehow, its not as appetizing as yours....

[Linked Image]
Don, the green stuff(in my pic grin ) is okra...
I'm looking for a place to hunt ground squirrells up in Modoc County, Ca. this spring. Any suggestions?
Cedarville and Ft Bidwell...

In March, Cedarville Chamber of Commerce actually has a shindig where folks can go out and shoot them, while the town and citizens open up opportunities....

once you know a few folks, usually a phone call that you are coming over is all it takes...

Ft Bidwell is also crawling thick with the little varmints...

Up there it is usually stop and ask..., see a property crawling with them, go knock on the door and ask.. people are pretty friendly... and they definitely want to get rid of them...

don't be a slob and get a phone number for return visits and you're good to go..

[Linked Image]

Ben, you know I think highly of you and your family...but squirrel meat is too good to go into gumbo! cry

Gumbo is for 'mystery meat'..... whistle

Looks good though!
Upsman, I live in Modoc County. It is easy to find a place to shoot almost anywhere in the county, even the northern part of Lassen County. See squeek, knock and ask, or go to the local coffee shops and ask if anyone knows places to shoot. Go to Calif. Pred. Forum and ask there. I have made many posts on the subject (Modoc Squeek Shooter). ED

[Linked Image]

Ben, you know I think highly of you and your family...but squirrel meat is too good to go into gumbo! cry

Gumbo is for 'mystery meat'..... whistle

Looks good though!

We don't eat mystery meat at our house! grin All of it goes towards coyote bait! grin
GuMbo is why God created raccoons, opposums and Armadillos( possum on the half shell.... grin )
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
didnt have to follow a blood trail on any of these and luckily none charged.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

forgive the poor quality cell pictures.
The new Hornet drew blood.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
YOU SUCK!!!! cry

Where did you get that gun????
online......gunsamerica

[Linked Image]
You likey?
mucho...
Damn...I was afraid you were gonna say that.....
What do you do,,, pen raise those dam things?
Our Gofers went under two months ago.

You're gonna love that cartridge but that stock's gotta go.
Any luck finding one yet?
I wonder if a good sanding and some dark stain would cover that green?
Pen raise? No, I live on a ranch that was infested with them.

Emphasis on the 'was'....... grin

No luck finding a walnut stock yet. But, the green plywood feels good and it's kinda grown on me, so no big hurry. I did think about slopping a coat o' paint on it, but won't. Does need the trigger lightened.
Pen raise?

I was just funnin ya, but I am suprised to see em still above ground this late in the year.
Good for you, not so good for skippy.

Enjoy the new rifle.
Like I said, "you're gonna love it".
These aren't the skwirls that you are used to. These are blacktail prairie dogs. You'll see them up yearround and all winter during sunny days. win/win.....
Nice Ruger. I hate you.

grin
Yea,,,, I knew they were a different sub-species but I wasn't aware that they're active year round.
Sweet!!
Nice Ruger. I hate you.grin

Which one? back atcha.....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice Ruger. I hate you.grin

Which one? back atcha.....

Oh, I love the hornet......
I might could go over to the Dark side of .17s with a Hornet like that. Deflave would love and idolize me even more, if thats possible....
'Darksided' this'un with the 77/17 hm2....

[Linked Image]
A few pasture pups were out playing in the snow. Had to 'darkside' a few with the new hornet for ingwe......The customary red 'fan' of the bigger cartridges was somewhat missing with the diminutive 'green hornet'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice.
Since I'm a skinny armed, weak sister, I'm gonna hold out for a sporter barrel version.
Bet I'm a weaker, skinny'er armed sister than you. Cowboy up......
Will you PLEASE quit killing schitt!!! cry

You are making me jealous with all that trigger time, and no drag time....
Leopard Shorts talked me into a .204.
It was a target Ruger.
It shot very well.
I loved the bore.
I sold it.
Figger it would be the same story here.
Sheeeeeeeeesh, I'm glad I'm not a rodent in Colorado! eek
Leopard Shorts talked me into a .204.
It was a target Ruger.
It shot very well.
I loved the bore.
I sold it.
Figger it would be the same story here.

So now I suppose travis talked you into a .17 Rem....gay.

.17 Hornet is skookum though.....
Nah. I'm not THAT gay. The fireball is nearly the .17 Rem.
I'll do the 700 in light varminter 204 soon. In a TI.

Dats what mine is....you have good taste..

[Linked Image]
The 'Green Whore-gnat' stretched her legs out at a shade over 300. The 20 gr. V-max still had enuff poop to phoogin' near decapitate pot-bellied ol' Grampa.....

[Linked Image]

Dats what mine is....you have good taste..

[Linked Image]
I keep breaking commandments looking at the Varmint killers of Ingwe.
You should be ashamed.
Nice.

Did she shoot purty flat at 300?
Yes, and its surprisingly good in the wind with 40 grainers. Oodles of 300 yard kills under its belt... grin
yeah, I held about 6 inches over his head and the width of a pd to the left. it was a good windage guess.....
You gotta quit posting this schitt Don...I DON'T need to spend the money on another gopher gun...
The collection ain't complete widout a ho'net.....
cry
[Linked Image]

I'm ready and waitin on mine. My godfather is having two built, one for each of us. I kept telling him to wait and they would be available soon, but he couldn't stand it. He bought two 77/22 hornets and took them strait to the smith to have them rebarreled. Last I heard, the smith was waitin on a reamer. Can't wait t get it! Just have to decide on a scope now!
DT, my goph shooting pard uses one he had built years ago....you are gonna LOVE it. It was invented for gophs....

Which reminds me...we didnt get together for killing yet...it was a slow season where I went, how about you?
Same same. Not many out this summer up at the ranch. Was to cold for a while then got so hot early in the summer so the weather didn't cooperate. The guy who leases out the place to graze his cattle didn't put them in until later also so the grass was to high most of the time. I was busy enough ridding my grandparents yard of the suckers since we had our wedding ceremony and reception out in their yard. I had a blast stalking and waiting until each one would come out. Almost got to the point of mounting a gun rack on the mower too. Lets plan something for sure this summer and ill let you rub your grubby paws on the ho'net!
DT, I bought the same stuff. Have you used those dies yet?
Nope. I went nuts right before rifle season reloading for all my other rifles. I haven't even thought about this one yet. Couple more weeks and deer/elk season will be over and I'll break it all out and serif I can put some test loads together
Lets plan something for sure this summer and ill let you rub your grubby paws on the ho'net!

Count on it! I wanna see exactly how many rounds a .204 barrel will shoot before it goes TU ( Ive got another barrel waiting... whistle )
We can take care of that! My brothers have been goin up there at nit and spot lightin badgers too and there are plenty more to be kilt!
I'm kickin myself for sellin my sps-v 204...it shot insane small groups
The' Green Whore-Gnat' ain't just for rodents anymore.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You should make a hat out of that dude! laugh
Nice vermin.
You should make a hat out of that dude! laugh

I was thinking a handwarmer muff. Hang it around my neck by a string and put one hand down his throat and one up his azz......
Nice vermin.

For clarification, I was referring to the black and white animal.
[Linked Image]

That's a skinny lookin varmint....

And the skunk looks sorta underfed too... grin
I was thinking a handwarmer muff. Hang it around my neck by a string and put one hand down his throat and one up his azz......

cool grin cool
Dang,,,,,, You're gonna have yours worn out before Adam gets enough scientific reloading data stored to actually take his out and kill something with it.

Do you skin those Skunks?
Not with fur prices like this......
Friday 17 Hornet Carnage?
Nope. Had to actually work more than usual......
smile

happens.
LOL....I am glad I am not the only one that checks this thread everyday to see what Huntsman22 has killed today.

Dink
A porkypine slapped one of my longhorns in the snout. Expect revenge.......
A porkypine slapped one of my longhorns in the snout. Expect revenge.......

Yikes, I wouldn't want to be the one to pull those quills! eek Which .17 will you use to extract revenge?
The Whore-Gnat.....
It's Mustiladae Monday........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That is a gorgeous badger... cool Not much hide damage I reckon.
.17 diameter hole going in.....
Do you raise any cows down there, or just varmints?
Walked the whole crick trying to find the rogue, cow-slapping porkypine. Nuthin' doing.... So I popped out of the bottom to whack a ground dwelling rodent, instead....

[Linked Image]
Looks like a 'face-off'.... grin
ripped him right outta the hole.....
Hey Don, have you started calling any coyote-ies yet this year?
I saw at least 25 squirrels, both fox and grays, whilst I was out deer huntin this morning... Little stinkers knew I wasn't going to shoot them with my big loud muzzleloader and scare all the big bucks off so they came in to about 20 yards and sat on their haunches... If only I had had a .22 or Judo point with me! laugh Just wait til I tag out... cool
Oh, Ben......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've been making a calling stand on the bottom, before feeding for the last few days. Wanted to use the whoregnat in closer-quarters than the open prairie provides. Then this guy shows himself at a little farther than I wanted, but wouldn't come in. Had to poke him at about 130yds, and he run aways after the hit. Piled up maybe 50 yds from impact.....
Cool beans Don...
still need the porky, a swift fox, turkey and a 13 striped ground skwirl. Only then, will my prairie slam be complete..... The turkey and swift may take a couple years.....
Our slam here consists of gophers, PDs, Rockchucks, and Jackrabbits.....anything else is icing....
I need to add coon to that list. Then the whoregnat will have every critter on the ranch....
Have yo ever tried calling raccoons? I wanna give that a go...
I just stand on the porch and yell, "Hey, coonie coonie coonie!"
Oh, Ben......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've been making a calling stand on the bottom, before feeding for the last few days. Wanted to use the whoregnat in closer-quarters than the open prairie provides. Then this guy shows himself at a little farther than I wanted, but wouldn't come in. Had to poke him at about 130yds, and he run aways after the hit. Piled up maybe 50 yds from impact.....

Kewl!! cool Glad that call is working for you!
I need to add coon to that list. Then the whoregnat will have every critter on the ranch....

I bumped into a small herd of coons the other evening. They were about a mile from the feed/grain so I didn't shoot any.

[Linked Image]

Closer my parent's house we had a couple that were chitting all over everything. They are now deceased.

I know coons travel in troupes alot of time but I had a pard down in Clyde Park that was checking on a racket his chickens were making in the barn one night, went out with his 10/22 and killed 23 (!) coons.... shocked
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Closer my parent's house we had a couple that were chitting all over everything. They are now deceased.

No pics??
[Linked Image]
QUIT IT!!! cry
I was gonna say... that has been one very very busy Ruger lately...

I've been wondering if it has the highest kill count of any Ruger 17 Hornet in the country...
You need to get a deer with the green hornet Don... grin
if'n it were legal.....
Sounds like a road trip is in order! grin
Nice.
Loaded up any yet? Or still on the factory stuff?
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I bumped into a small herd of coons the other evening. They were about a mile from the feed/grain so I didn't shoot any.

[Linked Image]

that looks exactly the same picture of the family slaves picking cotton back home on the family plantation...

we didn't give up slavery after the civil war, we just had our slaves pick cotton at night and the damned yankees never knew the difference...

the eyes in the background... that is the supervisor... the other 150 slaves are evidently picking cotton like they are supposed to be doing...
Somebody (other than me), needs to keep this thread going till O'13...

[Linked Image]
Hopefully I can help out soon! Still recouperating from deer/elk season. No gophers or PD's to kill though. Gonna have to be coyotes and such
your hornet done yet?

Smith Model 57 .41 magnum, nothing but head shots...

[Linked Image]
Good shootin' Don and Shrapnel! cool I wish I could make it to your Saturday shooting fest Shrapnel... I'd even get some aviators! grin
Good shootin' Don and Shrapnel! cool I wish I could make it to your Saturday shooting fest Shrapnel... I'd even get some aviators! grin

Aviators are required...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
your hornet done yet?

Should be getting assembled here shortly. Last I heard, the smith was waitin on a reamer but was expecting it any day
[Linked Image]
Nice! I cant even begin to explain how jealous I am!
You are starting to pizz me off!
Nice dog huntsman!

Travis
I better help with this thread.

I titled this one, "Sensitive tummy."

[Linked Image]

Dave
This guy just got his ass kicked by the skunk:

[Linked Image]

Travis
Good lookin badger 'flave! Here's an old badger pic from last trapping season for you... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
Our neighbor Les shot this coyote while he was deer hunting today. He let us take it for the hide... It was a big ol' male.

[Linked Image]

Ben

53 degrees and sunny on December 1...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good lookin badger 'flave! Here's an old badger pic from last trapping season for you... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben

Good gravy Ben!

I know a fella can get lonely, but don't kiss the thing.... grin

Travis
I'm jealous of Rancho...

Travis
[Linked Image]
great pic
With big brother.

[Linked Image]
I'm jealous of Rancho...

Travis

You should be.
So, was rancho and shrapnel the only participants in the 'invitational'?
There were quite a few member's whose names came up in discussion.

You were even one of them.

Please realize, since Shrapnel has mentioned your name, you must use your new powers wisely.

Did shrapnel mention me?

I often suspect his invitations are actually a ploy to kill me.

Thoughts?

Travis
Did shrapnel mention me?

I often suspect his invitations are actually a ploy to kill me.

Thoughts?

Travis

I told Rancho to send you pictures on his phone, he said he didn't have your phone number. There were a few other things he said, you may want to PM me to find out what that really was, an open forum such as this can't be violated with such information...
That's because he fears you and I will meet, and then you will want to be MY best friend instead of his.

Travis
'Twas a two-fer varmint morning......

[Linked Image]
Damn Huntsman! You're having a good year.

Travis
New found powers.

Thank Shrapnel..
I smoked this dude just so I could post something on here...15 feet with a Glock .40 cal
[Linked Image]
That's all fine and good, but have you whomped anything with yer hornet yet?
I don't even HAVE my hornet yet! I ordered direct from Savage and it wont get here for another month or two. I wasn't expect on shooting anything that day since it was storming so bad, but dumb, wet badger decided to walk close to where I was parked. All I had was my pistolas. My hornet will get to work over the spring squirrel population. Hoping for a short winter...
.40 cals kill badgers? That's crazy!

And how do you smoke one? Your lungs must be tougher 'dan shrapnel.

Travis
'Twas a two-fer varmint morning......

[Linked Image]

Very nice. No smell?
first one didn't. this one did......hence carrying him home in the loader bucket, instead of by hand.

[Linked Image]
Does that yote have a touch of mange Don?
yessir. that's why he gets the free ride to the dump with his striped little buddy.....
Anyone know of a place with Ruger 17 Hornets in stock? I think I missed out on the first release frown.
check davidsons, lipsey's and williams...
Thanks!
P.S. Nice job on the varmints.
yessir. that's why he gets the free ride to the dump with his striped little buddy.....

ah-ha...
I am a po-ette, and didn't even know it......

The Pine-Que-Pore,

Lives no more......

Thee End.

[Linked Image]
Gee Don,

that has to be the killin-est Ruger 17 Hornet in the entire USA..
beats punching paper, huh?
We will need to change this thread title to " Don's Varmageddon"
I am a po-ette, and didn't even know it......

The Pine-Que-Pore,

Lives no more......

Thee End.

[Linked Image]

Justice is served... grin That'll teach him to mess with your cattle... grin
First critter with my reloads. Bad thing is, I lost one of my loaded mags outta my pocket, somewhere on the sneak. Will look for it again this afternoon....

[Linked Image]
Finally I can contribute to this thread.... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kinda rubbed, but it's still a yote! grin

Ben
Don, your handloads look to be 'fur freindly'

Good goin' Ben and Nate! laugh
Friendly? I turned him over...

[Linked Image]
Does Nate get to wash him off?....
Yes, Nash did hose it down... Looks like a drowned rat now! grin We got a grinner in a coon trap a few minutes ago... Nash poppedd it, and I think he needs to make a hat out of it, with the little rat tail hanging down in the back! laugh

[Linked Image]

Ben
NASH!!! cry

Not Nate!!! cry

Dont tell him I got his name wrong! I Dont want him shootin' at ME! eek
Mash, Nash, Nate, Mate....
Tomato Tomahto, potato potahto...

Tomatillos, tater tots...

I could go on and on....
[Linked Image]

Got the zebra print vet wrap just for Ingwe! Lol. Rem 700 22-250 50gr btip
Im lovin' the motif!
The feed store was out of leopard print vet wrap so I went with the next best thing just for you buddy!
I didnt know they made zebra print vet wrap...that would make excellent snow camo, and its 'grippy' too...
First critter with my reloads. Bad thing is, I lost one of my loaded mags outta my pocket, somewhere on the sneak. Will look for it again this afternoon....

[Linked Image]

The more I see that Ruger of yours Don, the more I keep thinking about it being at the top of my short list of wannas..

I was thinking the Ruger 17HMR would be a nice sized package, to have a 17 Fireball single shot on for a while...

then Ruger comes out with that 17 Hornet... which is close enough to what I was looking for..

I've even been on the look out for a 22 Hornet locally, and consider an aftermarket barrel....

I've been checking the local shops, and those that order whatever ya want on line, say there is a waiting list for those things...

that is the first gun I've been motivated over in a long time..

and every time Don posts pics of more critters its taken, it just ups the annie!
John, Imstarting to think the same thing....

must....resist......
Well, we can't let Don have all the fun and the glory...

I am sure the 'envy' factor he is getting from some of us, is making him love his 17 Hornet all the more...
My gopher shooting pard had one of them built on a Ruger hornet years ago and Ive seen him kill thousands with it. It is just about Model Perfecto for gophs....

Also, I guess due to the small powder charge he has over 10K rounds down the barrel with no signs of degradation...
I didnt know they made zebra print vet wrap...that would make excellent snow camo, and its 'grippy' too...

Duh! Vet wrap is the best! It doesn't leave sticky crap when you take if off either
I use that stuff to wrap a bad ankle of mine all the time. Waterproof too! Love it!

It would be excellent to camo a gun for calling...
Planing a trip to hunt the Sage rats, never been so I would like to know were to go South Dakota,Kansas etc...What should I bring, take. Should I get a guide or hunt public ground. What should I pay a guide? Will love to here what you guys have to say. Thanks
I'm thinking I might have to break out the paint in the spring and add some tan and green to my stock. More of a multi purpose camo instead of solid white
Varmints beware!! grin grin Just finished dis leetle call for myself yesterday...

[Linked Image]

Au revoir yotes! laugh
To keep spirits up...

Taken by the best dog rifle IN THE WORLD...the original .17...the only "real" .17.
[Linked Image]
Great looking coyote and rifle Dog Hunter!

Ingwe, hopefully the new call and the triple deuce will draw yote blood tomorrow. smile If not, I'll go back to where I went this morning and found where they were digging out in a hay field and lay some Montgomery #2s and/or Montana #3s and have my sweet revenge.. grin You got your Foxpro yet?

Ben
No foxpro here yet Ben....Im off till Jan.14, hopefully I'll get it, and have it up and running before then. My .204 needs to get a yote...
If'n I still lived closer that could be arranged... grin Are the coons still running out there? We haven't seen any tracks or any sign and are worried they diseased out. I was wanting to try out the coon fight sound on my Spitfire and go doggin' 'em too.
Coons is the reason I bought the foxpro...gotta load coon fight sounds into it. Not much sign of coons here now, until the temp gets over 30 degrees....
You guys gonna eat your coons?
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
best dog rifle IN THE WORLD...the original .17...the only "real" .17.

DH, I don't have a 'real .17' anymore. Do you think that a 'pretend .17' of the 'Fireball' variety, would stand any chance of gettin' one of them doggies? Just the name,'Fireball', sounds kinda vicious to me....

She'll be here next week. Think it's worth a try? Or do I have to stick to stuffed aminals, with the fake?
You guys gonna eat your coons?

They get skinned and the carcass gets thrown or used for yote bait.. We had in a good friend in Montucky while we were there and he and his bud killed a coon and cooked it in a fire in their dugout. He said it was really dry and lean, which surprised me because I'd always heard they were really greasy. Breaks coons got it tough and don't have much fat, I guess.. grin
Just kinda wondering. Andrew Zimmern says it tastes like turkey dark meat.......Hmmmmmmmm...

Let me know how it goes when you start calling them...but I suppose they have a season on them back there...
Fireball (and MachIV) does have a certain ring to it...You can try it, and see if it can run with the big dog...I have little confidence though.

She'll be here next week. Think it's worth a try? Or do I have to stick to stuffed aminals, with the fake?

It's no secret that I love My FB. Bet you will too.
Whadya get?
damn.........A guy does need 'confidence' to hunt with a BB sized bullet. Should I go shopping for teddybears tomorrow?

A ruger that 'slave swapped me

A ruger that 'slave swapped me

A Ruger in 17FB?
Never heard of such a thing.

But I like it! smile

BTW,,, Dog Hunter's right. There's no way you can kill a "Dog" (or even a Cat) with a FB.
Nope, nada, un-uh, no way, can't be done.

Oh,,, wait.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never mind.
here's a pic that 'slave put up. Look at that cool scope. It even has those twisty things on top for long range. Is that neat, or what? If you wanna swap glass, just to be cool, I'd take that one of yours off yer hands...

[Linked Image]
Oh,,, I like that allot, but you're right in that it needs more appropriate glass.
Just not mine. grin

Nothing wrong with those twisty things on top of a heavy, long range, Gofer gun but they're pretty much useless on a walking varminter. Course, that just my opinion and the next guy might like em. To each his own.

That FB should round out your Ruger collection nicely.
Good luck with it.

Since the furball won't be here for a few days, I figgered to fill in with the whore-gnat again. 20 grain vmaxes just pencil thru at 350 yds if no bone is hit. This guy was a stud-booner-boar-burrower. Beats the hell outta shooting teddybears.......

[Linked Image]
Don, you be temporarily retiring the whoregnat for the Fireball?
nah. just gonna let the barrel cool.....
cool
So mtcurman...these calls you make...are the reeds fairly freeze proof? Does the sound get distorted by blowing too hard? (shut yer trap guys...) I way prefer mouth calls when targeting coyotes. Bobcats I prefer my foxpro.

What would it take for you to send one my way???

Tomorrow.
smile

Kill schit.
you gotta wait another day.grin

So do I, it seems, the ammo is running late...
you gotta wait another day.grin

So do I, it seems, the ammo is running late...

Dat's my fault.
I forgot the dies the first day. sick
Took 3 rds from the whore-gnat to knock him outta the tree. Should have had the much-more-powerfull-er, but still woefully inadequate-er, 17 Fireball for todays little expedition.....

[Linked Image]
He looks like hes eyeballing the inadequate whore-gnat... grin
I hate them critters.
Fireball is gonna like it's new home. grin
Another no-living pine-que-pore... grin wink Good job Don!
Well guys, not a varmint, but I shot a slickhead with my bow this evening! We haven't gone after it yet, wish us luck recovering it!
take a dog.....
Findy?
You betcha!!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7202988/Re_2nd_bow_kill#Post7202988
Nash and I killed a couple "flying gophs" today... grin

[Linked Image]
Cool! I used to shoot the crap out of starlings as a kid. Talk about rats with wings....
Thanks Ingwe! We had "starlageddon"... grin Lot's of phun!(for us)
Looks like a blast.
I was sitting in my car, plinking the little bastids off the top of the turkey feeder with my 15-22. The scope was evidently too high above the bore.grin. Now I really hate 'em......

[Linked Image]

Don't worry about it. You're not the first one to put a hole in his rig and you definatly won't be the last.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goodmark-Mirror-Outside-Rear-View-Chrome-Driver-Side-Chevy-C-
I was sitting in my car, plinking the little bastids off the top of the turkey feeder with my 15-22. The scope was evidently too high above the bore.grin. Now I really hate 'em......

[Linked Image]

My son also got a passenger mirror on my Subaru Forester a few years ago. He accomplished the feat with my Ruger 22/45 pistol shooting at a running gopher. Probably because he shoots with the "wrong hand". I still say the vehicle door makes for a very nice rest for "Montana Drive By's".
Got some limb bacon with the dogs this evening... Sorry I didn't get a very good picture. blush Dogs don't hold still very well! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Triple deuce-ed a fox skwerrel today whilst coyote calling... It didn't move a muscle... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
[Linked Image]
Cool Don! cool Have you bloodied the Fireball?
Couple prairie dogs with a dead camera battery. So, if no pics, didn't happen? Right? grin
We need a 2013 varmint killin thread...

[Linked Image]

Ben
A Grinner and Dinner! laugh
And a veddy good dinner it was.. grin The triple deuced squirrel joined the wabbit in a pot pie, minus the crust. Mom found she didn't have a pie crust, but we all wanted a pot pie, so she just made the filling and made corn pudding for the side.. It was delicious!

From years ago, when there was still a cabin in the Bangtails. The mouse was shot at close range with a Sharps 45-70...

[Linked Image]
shrap, this thread is for 2012.

'years ago', ain't makin' it here. Please remove this antiquity and put it in the proper year of the preceding century. thanks!grin

Did you get the mouse IN the cabin?

OK, boys. Plug them ears now.....
shrap, this thread is for 2012.

'years ago', ain't makin' it here. Please remove this antiquity and put it in the proper year of the preceding century. thanks!grin

Did you get the mouse IN the cabin?

OK, boys. Plug them ears now.....

That picture predates the existence of the Campfire and a lot of the posters here. The mouse was in a drawer in an old cupboard in the cabin. Shooting buffalo at great distances is not near the sport that it is to shoot a mouse in a drawer...
Bet his little eardrums is still ringin'.......
© 24hourcampfire