Home
I'm going to give this combo a run, any one using it already?

Range report to follow

Spot

hmm... no one chimed in on 8028.

What are you guys using, I hear 8028 yields 100-200 fps faster than most and groups well.

Spot
I've tied 8028 in 4/5 loadings with 32 grainers. I could not get it to shoot as well as RE10X. With the velocity the 204 is churning up, I don't see a 100-200 fps gain as very important.
V
Where'd you hear that about the speed?

Here's some pressure-tested powder/velocity data from various powder manufacturers for 32-grain loads, found during a search of various manuals and websites:

IMR 8208-4130
CFE 223--4091
BLC(2)---4081
TAC------4100 (Ramshot data)
TAC------4154 (Nosler data)

Can't find 100-200 fps extra in any of that. Maybe somebody worked up a 4300 fps load and didn't see any "pressure signs"?

Generally I run TAC in the .204.

Just noticed some folks are using Mag primers...

If your already past 3600-3700, yeah 200 fps might not make to big a diff.
I have good luck with 40 grain v-max and 8208. T.S.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

hmm... no one chimed in on 8028.

hmm...that is because most use XBR 8208
btw: it was brought out to compete with VVN133, if you like 133 you will like 8208
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Of course because you are paid to say so....never need to clean bla..bla..bla.
I have pretty good success with a new load I've been working on with the 32 zmax. I'm using 29g of 8208 in Rem brass with either Rem 7.5 BR or Wolf 223 primers and col of 2.260. Velocity averages out to about 4,050fps and I've shot several groups in the .3 and .4's that with a Savage model 16 and a 22" barrel.

I can get TAC to shoot about as accurately with 28.5g, but velocity runs more like 3,975 average which at those speeds isn't enough to make any difference. I'd say use the one you can get the best groups with because slightly above or below 4,000 fps won't matter much. Lots of good powders will work well in 204 and give close to the 4,000fps number with 32's.
MD,

That was the chatter on Pred. Masters and a few other boards, but I hadn't heard you or others mention it so I asked via sharing what I heard.

The powders you listed where not on there list, so I'm thinking it's a lack of comprehensive load tables in the manuals.

I myself didn't run across the Tac loads, but then again I've been busting my tail at work and hadn't done a good job researching the loads either.

Sounds like they're pushing pressures, which often results in a "magic" increase in velocity!

I am gonna try some 8208 in the .204 soon--and some CFE 223 as soon as I can get my hands on some.
I bought a 1 lb can of it on Sunday, I wish I had thought about Tac...

I've got 500 round of 39 grain with IMR 4895 under it from last year.
Best accuracy I found in my previous, and again in my current, .204 with 32 grain bullets has been with 28 grains of H335 lit by a Rem 7-1/2 primer. I didn't try the Sierra but both the Nosler and Hornady 32 grain bullets hit their accuracy peak with the same load of the same powder. "I'll take it."
Mule Deer - You wouldn't happen to have a good TAC load with the 32 grain VMax that will work with CCI small rifle primers?? Do you generally use small rifle magnum or do small rifle suffice?
I tried some hornady 32 grain pills with IMR4895 and had no luck in my Tika Varmint model.

The 39 grain sierras bug holed and road the wind like I couldn't beleive.
I'm hoping to find a 32 grain load that has more of a shock and aw effect.
I'm locked down for a Pdog Hunt on June 5&6 th so I need to get this sorted out and start load'n.

Spot

ranger1,

I load 29.0 grains of TAC with any 32-grain bullet. This is a little more than Ramshot data lists, but Nosler lists it. Generally I use CCI BR-4's, the match version of their small rifle primer.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I tried some hornady 32 grain pills with IMR4895 and had no luck in my Tika Varmint model.

The 39 grain sierras bug holed and road the wind like I couldn't beleive.
I'm hoping to find a 32 grain load that has more of a shock and aw effect.
I'm locked down for a Pdog Hunt on June 5&6 th so I need to get this sorted out and start load'n.

Spot

If you've got any H-322 around, try 27.5 with the 32 VMax, my rifle piles them into .25" groups when I hold my mouth right.
Plus ONE on the 27.5 grains of H 322 and the 32 gr V Max...

28.5 grains of H 322 witht he 24 gr NTX or the 26 HP Varmint Grenade are tight shooting loads also out of my 204 Ruger's Barrel...
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Of course because you are paid to say so....never need to clean bla..bla..bla.

JB won't answer that, but I will.

Cheap shot... frown

You are better than that.

DF
I see nobody is shooting Benchmark? I have had really good luck with it in the 204
I find the 204 not fussy... Benchmark did well in mine...but it does well in a lot of cartridges...

AR Comp was the accuracy winner in mine tho...
Originally Posted by Oregonyotebuster
I see nobody is shooting Benchmark? I have had really good luck with it in the 204

Benchmark is my second choice, after H-322, as noted above. I run my loads a bit under max most of the time, so my Benchmark load is a bit milder than that H-322 stuff. Accuracy isn't quite as good in my rifles, either, but more than adequate to smack a rat or several...... AA2230C is also on my "short list" of excellent powders for the .204, but since it's no longer available, there's no point in recommending it to anyone.

Gawdawful shame 2230C is no longer around, it shoots well, and doesn't heat up a barrel as fast as the two stick powders. I like it bunches, but there's only about 5 pounds left, so I use it sparingly now.
i havnt tryed 8208. i was planning to but win 748 shot 1/4 inch then i tryed some old h 4895 (cardbord can) it drills little tiny holes in paper. (cooper 21)
I have some Zmax loaded up, but haven't tested 'em yet. Hoping I get 4,000 fps and good accuracy w/8208. Seems like a good powder. Kinda like mini-Varget.
Tried IMR 8208 it didn't give top accuracy. My go to powder with 26 to 32 grain bullets, including lead free Varmint Grenade and Nosler BT Lead free is Reloader 10x. Groups around .25" at 100 yards, velocity is 4,085 fps in a 1:12" twist, 4,110 fps in a 1:8.5" twist barrel. Both shoot well with 25.2 grains in my barrels (Shilen & Pac-Nor). Winchester brass, Federal match or Remington 7-1/2 BR primers. For the heaviest bullets, 50 grain and above, I use Varget.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Benchmark is my second choice, after H-322, as noted above. I run my loads a bit under max most of the time, so my Benchmark load is a bit milder than that H-322 stuff. Accuracy isn't quite as good in my rifles, either, but more than adequate to smack a rat or several...... AA2230C is also on my "short list" of excellent powders for the .204, but since it's no longer available, there's no point in recommending it to anyone.

Gawdawful shame 2230C is no longer around, it shoots well, and doesn't heat up a barrel as fast as the two stick powders. I like it bunches, but there's only about 5 pounds left, so I use it sparingly now.

You might give Ramshot TAC a try. IIRC, 2230C was just a hair slower burning than regular 2230, which could put it right in TACs neighborhood. I use a lot of TAC in my .223's. Good velocity, clean burning, economical.
What are max/min loads for RL 10x under a 32 gr. V max?

I'm using 26.6grs of Benchmark, with Berger 35's.
I've been using BL-C2 with 32 gr V-Max and CCI BR4 promers good load in my rifle.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I'm using 26.6grs of Benchmark, with Berger 35's.

That load sounds familiar!
RL10X,TAC, 8208 and Benchmark all shoot well in my .204s. I don't run 32s but 39 gr SBK and 35 gr Bergers do well with the above powders. Varget and RL15 work too.
Loaded up some RL10x and H322 loads using BR4 primers and the 32 Vmax. My rifle liked max loads of each, shooting 3 shots around half an inch for both loads. Went with H322 for the slight edge in speed.
© 24hourcampfire