Home
Posted By: Reba .223 for Coyotes (bullet weight?) - 06/04/12
Question:

55 or 65 grain bullets.

Thanks!
55's have always worked just dandy for me! Won't change any time soon.
Cheers
Whichever shoots the best -

The construction of the bullet may be more important for your application than 55 vs. 65 grain weights...

I'll assume the 65 is a SGK. If so, that is a great coyote bullet but for .223 velocities, I may be more apt to choose a 55 of similar construction for a slightly flatter trajectory within calling ranges.
55's for me, but either will do.
Reba, you asked 55 or 65 grain, not to be nit picky, but I've always liked the 50 grain Ballistic Tips.
Originally Posted by GregW

The construction of the bullet may be more important for your application than 55 vs. 65 grain weights...

That....
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by GregW

That....

+1 - Whatever shoots the best!
55 gr. #1365 Sierra SBT.....for many years now in .223 and 22-250 for coyotes.
The 55 Ballistic tip has worked well for me. I don't have any experience with the 65's but haven't seen the need.
I have shot numerous coyotes with 40 and 50 grain .22 bullets, mostly ballistic tips and V maxes. I think the 50s are better, but unless you are shooting at a "run away" at long range, the 40s workk just fine.
50g vmax always does the job for me.
My 22-250 50 gr NBT My.223 50 gr Sierra BK so I guess I recommend the 50 gr. Nothing wrong with the 55 gr either. Never have shot the 65gr in a hunting bullet.
I asked the question because this weekend I was spotting for my shooting partner and he was using Sierra 69 Match Kings out to 500 meters. I was impressed how well this bullet "bucked" the wind.
Reba Ive shot a ton of 68 gr. Hornady BTHPs and they are GREAT in the wind...however, Ive never shot any coyotes with them...I'm sure they would work, but don't know if you are interested in 'fur freindly' or not.....or how they would be on fur...
Good to hear because the 40s shoot better in my rifle.
Ive shot a few coyotes with the bullets poobah has mentioned. They work well, but the last one I shot had a decent size exit. Not huge, but about a silver dollar. They work well.

I have shot a few with a 40 grain Vmax and was NOT impressed. Three coyotes required several shots, all within 100 yards.

My favorite bullet has been the 50 NBT.
i shoot 52 gr barnes tsx in 223 for coyotes
Didnt know Barnes made a 52 gr. TSX....
The 40 grain BT is a much stouter bullet than the VMax. Not comparable at all in penetration. The 40 BT is good for coyote if saving fur.
60 gr. V-Max works very well at .223 velocities.
Yotes aren't hard to kill.. As with anything a well placed varmint bullet regardless of the weight is going to anchor it. Figure out which your rifle likes and then look at your options.
Originally Posted by MOGC
yep,I'll go with that,Shot them front to back,thick and thin...dead in their shadow.
55 gr is my preference, but whatever is most accurate in your rifle should get top consideration.
Reba: I use mostly 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and 52 grain Berger Varmint bullets in my 223's for Coyotes.
Speed and accuracy aplenty with these - and speed and accuracy in ones bullets kills Coyotes effectively.
Be sure to give the Berger 52 grain Varmint bullets a try if you have time.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Last 2 I killed were with 40 Vmax at 225 yards.

DRT

HM
50 to 60 gr whichever your rifle likes the best and you have a dead yote. My favorite is the 55 Nosler BT

They sure do...
My partner and I killed an ungodly number of coyotes with a 55g winchester soft point with a load of 26.5g of Win 748 in a 223. We shot the Rem 700 and Rem 788's. This load will usually shoot 1/2" and clobbers coyotes and often the bullet will not go through the coyote but will break shoulders and hip joints on quartering shots.

The same powder charge will love the 55g Sierra spt in any version plus the 55g BTHP. The same load with the 55g Sierra lead tip blitz will do some serious damage to a coyote. The 55g nosler ballistic tip was also fantastic.

We shot a lot of coyotes with the sierra 50 Spt with a load of 27.5g of Win 748.

I shot a coyote at 320 yards in the head as he was staring at us with a 50g Nosler ballistic tip, and the bullet did not go through his head, stayed away from them after that.

The 65g Sierra's are a deer bullet and probably will not expand on a coyote at all...it will blow your mind to see a coyote hit dead center, bullet hit the ground behind him, and the coyote react as if he does not even know that he has been shot.

Good luck!

This is an interesting bullet, I shoot it out of 2 different rifles.
One is a CZ527 with a 1-12" twist, it shoots very accurate and has devistating results on coyotes but is not too fur friendly.

The other rifle is an AR-15 with a 1-8" twist, out of this rifle the 60gr V-Max is a little bomb. I shot a coyote with it last winter and it blew the left front leg off and about a square foot of hide.....no saving pelts with this combo!!!!!

© 24hourcampfire