Home
Posted By: FieldGrade 2012 ID Cat opener. - 12/15/12
My favorite day of the year by far even if there isn't any snow to find trax for the dogs.
To cold for my old bones this morning, but being the opener I deceided to take a hike down river this afternoon where I'd seen a cat a few years ago but never hunted or trapped since part of it's Tribal land and I'm not sure where the boundries are.
Truth is, I was basically looking for the boundries and some good locations to maybe place a few traps, but I took the 22mag and a squeeker along anyway. Bout ten minutes into my first half hearted stand this young female stepped out at about 30yrds. She set down and looked at me for a few minutes and then stood and turned to leave so I poked a hole in her with my little Henry.

Bet she don't do that again.
[Linked Image]

Only down side was that I had those poor kids in CT on my mind the whole time.
Still kinda feel guilty for having fun on a day like this.
There are enuff sad days, that a feller has to enjoy time whenever he can. Way to go field grade.
Nice looking cat,not too bad for your first day out!! On your first stand!
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Nice looking cat,not too bad for your first day out!! On your first stand!

Thanks,,,, I think.
In the past, every time I've taken a limit of birds or scored on a Cat etc, on the opening day the rest of the season's been a bust LOL.
Hope this ain't a bad omen, but with the price of cats these days, I ain't complaining either way.
Very well done FG!

I hear ya on what happened in CT... It's been weighing on my mind.
Cool!
Nice Job!
Love those Maggies. Nice job on the Cat. Bad for me, but that one should buy you some cases of your favorite "health" drink. I'll never see my inheritance. Bummer frown
Originally Posted by K22
Love those Maggies. Nice job on the Cat. Bad for me, but that one should buy you some cases of your favorite "health" drink. I'll never see my inheritance. Bummer frown

grin Yep. At this rate, I'm gonna live for ever. grin
Nice cat..those .22 mags sure are a valuble item in the outdoorsman's gun rack..hope the rest of the the season is great..
Agreed,,, I've always had a WMR in one form or another.
Normally I use em for treed Coon and Cat, but in this instance I had some traps to check on the way and the cover was so thick I decided to grab the Henry for double duty.
She did the job, but I did have a pass through (double lung without touching any ribs), so the cat ran far enough to bury it's self in the thickest brier patch on the mountain before expiring. All the thorn bushes had me looking like I'd been wrestling with the dang thing by the time I found and retrieved it. Shotgun would have been a better choice, but I just can't bring myself to use one for predators.
Oh well,,, all's well that ends well, eah?
© 24hourcampfire