Home
Posted By: WeimsnKs My first kitty - 01/06/13
Sitting in the treestand last night hoping for a late season doe, I was looking down and this fella popped out of the cedar trees. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have heard we have cats in the area ( big and small) but had never seen one.

I know a 25-06 with a 100 grainer is not optimum for the fur but what ya gonna do? Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

This one is getting a full mount. Who knows if I will ever get another chance. I hear we have a pretty good taxidermist just 90 min away in Rogers Ar , Karen's Taxidermy.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kimberyote Re: My first kitty - 01/06/13
Beautiful! If a critter can look elegant, Bobcats do. Congrats! One day I hope to accomplish such a feat.
Posted By: ingwe Re: My first kitty - 01/06/13
Dat is a nice, well marked cat!

Congrats!
Posted By: xverminator Re: My first kitty - 01/06/13
Man I'm envious. Been four years since I've even seen a cat let alone called one....We have a few around but they aren't easy to find......Again I'm envious!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: bbassi Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
big cat. Did you weigh him? Oh and yeah that hole is nothing for a good taxidermist to fix/hide. Congrats!
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
That looks a lot like my wifes housecat!

Really though, that my friend is a gorgeous looking pelt. Will make a nice mount.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
We've called 3 in the last 2 years while coyote hunting, but haven't been able to seal the deal. One of those included dad using the butt of his rifle to knock the cat back as it jumped the brush in front of him to get to the 'dying rabbit'. Another came in and sat behind and left of me, distance all of 5 yards. I couldn't move to shoot because it had me pegged. Stared at me for a good 5 minutes before getting nervous and bolting.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
Originally Posted by bbassi
big cat. Did you weigh him? Oh and yeah that hole is nothing for a good taxidermist to fix/hide. Congrats!

He weighed over 21#. Can't remember exactly how much. 32 in from nose to tail. I forgot to measure how tall but I am guessing 14"
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
nice cat, you gonna mount him or just skin him?
Posted By: 224th Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
Nice lots of spots
224TH
Posted By: longshot3 Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
Nice looking cat, and congrats!

I have never gotten one myself yet, but 2 days ago, I was calling coyotes and had one "show up" just 10 feet to my right! I didnt know what made the noise so close and when I turned my head, he was gone in a flash. Very cool experience!
Originally Posted by Cheesy
We've called 3 in the last 2 years while coyote hunting, but haven't been able to seal the deal. One of those included dad using the butt of his rifle to knock the cat back as it jumped the brush in front of him to get to the 'dying rabbit'. Another came in and sat behind and left of me, distance all of 5 yards. I couldn't move to shoot because it had me pegged. Stared at me for a good 5 minutes before getting nervous and bolting.

Watch what ya wish for. I think that .25c bullet just cost me $600.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dat is a nice, well marked cat!

Congrats!

+ 1 It's a beauty!

Cheesy, a cat might let you move to shoot it without bolting. It is worth trying. grin They are a lot more unafraid than coyotes up close and it is not uncommon to have a cat simply watch while the hunter lifts or swings a rifle, etc. I've had coyotes inside of ten feet bolt with the first quarter inch I moved, but have had a number of bobcats watch while I got into a shooting position and shot up to three arrows at the same cat without having it bolt!

Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
nice cat, you gonna mount him or just skin him?

I have shown the cat to a few guys around here and they seem to think it has nice markings. I don't know, this is the first one I have ever saw in person.

This could be one of those, once in a lifetime moments so,
this cat is getting a full body mount.

Posted By: Cheesy Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
I always wanted to do one in a sleeping pose, on a piece of driftwood or similar, with one leg hanging off the side.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I always wanted to do one in a sleeping pose, on a piece of driftwood or similar, with one leg hanging off the side.

In jest, I suggested,to my wife, a similar pose to sit on our mantle. Believe it or not, she liked the idea.

I think I am going for a lying down,head up, kind of looking around motif.

The head is nice size and well marked, the whiskers are very pronounced and I want to make sure I use all the good attributes.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: My first kitty - 01/07/13
Congrats man. Awesome cat!
Posted By: dhakbff Re: My first kitty - 01/09/13
really big cat,my first time to see this.
Posted By: poboy Re: My first kitty - 01/09/13
I think the spots running down the legs to the feet are unique. Purdy cat. Congrats. Ever try trapping?
Posted By: highcountry Re: My first kitty - 01/12/13
Very beautiful cat!

Billington Ranch Taxidermy in Georgetown Texas is one of the best bobcat taxidermist's I have come across. She did a great job on my cat a couple years ago and currently is working on a coyote my wife shot.
We shipped the coyote to her priority mail from Nevada, just froze it and wrapped it in a piece of an old junk sleeping bag.

Before.
[Linked Image]
And after, it's the kitty laying down
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtcurman Re: My first kitty - 01/13/13
Those are some great looking cats!!
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: My first kitty - 01/13/13
Congrats, that is exactly how I got my first cat - cept I was turkey hunting and happened to sit in my deer tree stand to see if it was in a good spot or not.

I donated mine to the KDWP, it's in the office at KC on top of the glass enclosure they have the bald eagle mount in.

Spot
Posted By: Bricktop Re: My first kitty - 01/13/13
This brings back a favorite memory of someone's WILD cat: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4589130/generalstuart#Post4589130
Posted By: wageslave Re: My first kitty - 01/13/13
Very nice. Good work.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: My first kitty - 01/13/13
[quote)=poboy Ever try trapping? [/quote]

No, I don't have the time it requires.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: My first kitty - 01/13/13
I got my Cat to Karen @ Karen's taxidermy Saturday morning.Luckily, she was just a 2 hr drive away.
She had five of her own cats to look at not to mention the rest of her mounts. She had a room full of trophys and ribbons from 1997 to as recent as 2012. From talking to her, we learned she started out as an artist then got into taxidermy. I think that can separate a good taxidermist from one that wins many awards
We selected a sitting pose with a slight downward gaze since it is going on the mantle.
Now nothing to do but wait about 10 months.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: My first kitty - 01/13/13
Great looking cat! Be sure to post pics when you get it back.
© 24hourcampfire