Home
Posted By: saddlering Red Fox, Black Color - 02/13/18
I was just comeing back from town and had a fox run across the road about 40 yrds in front of me and it was Jet black. was to small for a coyote, and it wasnt a Black cat! and not the guy from Sanford & Son we have about a foot of snow on the ground and its cloudy today! Iv seen alot of Foxs, theres even a den 150yrds from my house, just wondering how rare a Black Fox is?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/13/18
I saw a few on Kodiak and Afognak islands while deer hunting there. They were at a distance so I don’t know that they were %100 jet black but they were at least mostly black. Sadly I never got one, shot at them bjt never connected. There are scads of foxes on those islands so I don’t know what that does statistically for the odds of different colors occurring but I didn’t live there just visited to hunt for a week at a time and I saw them. Which leads me to believe they aren’t all that uncommon.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/13/18
I see a fair amount of Red color foxs around my area, and have been told theres some greys also. the den down the road had 6 pups last year, this Black one was about 10 miles from my Home!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/13/18
Called a silver fox
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/13/18
yep, melanistic phase of red fox.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/14/18
Where I used to live in interior alaska, up to half of the fox would be silvers or crosses.

Sure are pretty

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rong Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/14/18
Yep, Cross.
Hank ,I would've done a full body on that,That's a beauty
Shot that guy in october, wasn't fully prime yet. He is hanging on my wall tanned though. Shot this one as it was chewing on the carcass of the one above.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by huntsman22
yep, melanistic phase of red fox.

Don, did you ever catch one in Colorado, I caught one near Aguilar many moons ago.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/14/18
Yeah, on both sides of the hill. Had one in a litter of 5 at my old house one year. He musta died by fall, as I never seen him again during fur season when it mattered....grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Shot that guy in october, wasn't fully prime yet. He is hanging on my wall tanned though. Shot this one as it was chewing on the carcass of the one above.

[Linked Image]

Dats what we always called a cross fox...

Love to get one someday...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/14/18
Look to the right of this pic for a big silver fox....he didnt come from Texas like the rest of this stuff...but hes hanging on my little Texas wall anyway....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe
Look to the right of this pic for a big silver fox....he didnt come from Texas like the rest of this stuff...but hes hanging on my little Texas wall anyway....

[Linked Image]

That is a huge silver! Was it wild or from a fox farm? Technically the first one I posted is actually a cross, just a very dark one. Had a lot of red on its shoulders.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/15/18
Hank that was given to me, but from the size Im thinking its from a fur farm...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/16/18
I saw a solid black 'red' fox in the early 2000's while turkey hunting. He came to the call. He was BLACK as black can be. Head to toe.

That’s a beautiful animal!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/16/18
Had a totally black one playing alongside the road here one summer. It was completely black, no white tipped tail or feet or anything. They're neat critters.
Posted By: Judman Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/16/18
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Where I used to live in interior alaska, up to half of the fox would be silvers or crosses.

Sure are pretty

[Linked Image]

Saw a couple up BC when I was caribou huntin, damn outfitter wouldn’t let me kill em.

Nice Fox’s btw hank
Ingwe, nice wall from Texas.. The aoudad is awesome.. Just on the way home now from a pig hunt.. May go back for axis later ..
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/17/18
Saw one killed on the side of the road in Eagle , ID. bout ten years ago female unit begged me not to go get a dead animal to take home .
Posted By: NMiller Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/26/18
I get a few cross and silver every year on my line. Got four silvers this year, more than usual. They are some beautiful critters, taxidermists love them!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/26/18
Wow, those are something else.
Posted By: lastround Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/26/18
I’ve never seen a cross (Black) but we do see a lot of reds. When I was much younger, I saw a lot of greys but hardly ever a red. Now greys are as scarce as hen’s teeth.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Red Fox, Black Color - 02/26/18
The Fox that I saw run across the road from me looked like Nmillers Black foxs, in his pics a 1st for me!
© 24hourcampfire