Home
Posted By: kgb41 45gr .224" Remington jsp bullets - 11/30/18
Found a supply of the subject component bullets, asking here if anybody has experience with them on varmints. Will load and shoot from a .222 Remington along with a number of newer 40gr and 50gr varieties.
Looks like these are the bullets Remington loads in their .22 Hornet ammo, rather than a .223" bullet. If you've got experience with the factory Remington Hornet SP ammo I'd appreciate hearing of that.
I don't know that particular bullet, but if they're .224" diameter meant for Hornet velocities they'll be a lot of fun in a .222 or .223 with a 1-12" or 1-14" twist. In the days before the polymer tipped bullets like VMAX and Blitzking and Ballistic Tip, I shot a lot of 45 grain Hornady hornet spitzers in my .223. That was the most violent "splat" available at the time. You should be in for a good time shooting rodents at short and medium range.

Tom
Originally Posted by kgb41
Looks like these are the bullets Remington loads in their .22 Hornet ammo, rather than a .223" bullet. If you've got experience with the factory Remington Hornet SP ammo I'd appreciate hearing of that.

When I was in high school, I was rocking an H&R singlebarrel in .22 Hornet, and I used the Remington softpoint loads on groundhogs. Buying factory ammo for the Hornet in those days meant buying the Remington SPs or Winchester HPs, those loads were "known" to be the best shooting loads (and it didn't work the other way, Winchester SPs sucked, so did the Remington HPs). All those loads from that time frame were either 45 or 46gr. loads, the 34 HP and 35 VMax loads did not exist then.

That bullet really worked well on Southern Indiana groundhogs. I made some ear shots on a few, and the brains always exited the mouth of the critter. Very decisive for a mild-mannered Hornet.
Granted, I was an inexperienced high-school kid at the time, with a cheap little rifle and a no-name 4x scope on it, but it worked and worked well. If I weren't a "seasoned handloader", I'd probably still be using that load in the CZ 527 I use now. Now I use a 34gr. hollowpoint on top of 1680, but if I were stuck with factory ammo, I'd be looking for that Remington load.
I also have an excessive number of other varmint rifles, if there is such a thing, but the Hornets (.17 and .22) are about as much fun as anyone needs.
When I first built my 221 on my Vixen action way back in '88, I used this bullet to shoot prairie dogs and ground squirrels. WAY good splatter factor out of the Fireball at 3300+. Think I used WW 680 with it. Found more accurate bullets as I played with the 221, but always remember this one.
Thank you for the responses, the first .222 I owned shot 40gr Nosler BT well at barely 3500fps usingRL7, I am starting off with 40gr V-Max and 50gr SPSX, sounds like the Remington component will be well suited to the uses of the gun (a 788) as long as they shoot well.
I still have a box or 2 and use them in my 223 for short range shots on P Dogs or gophers .

There is a definite splat factor .
© 24hourcampfire