Home
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Black coyotes - 02/22/19
Are they common? This one has been showing up for a couple of years.
[Linked Image]
Ronnie
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19

Going to post some pics of black coyotes in the Image Gallery.

The backstory:
Friend was archery hunting from a tree stand a few years ago. A doe came through and a few minutes later a pack of coyotes came by stalking/hunting her. He arrowed one and the rest of the pack kept on going only to return a couple of minutes later when he shot another black coyote and missed yet another. They have since shot 2 more black coyotes on the property.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19
I got one on a trail camera here in Centre County PA about 3 years ago. It looked really big and I wondered if it was bred with a bigger dog.
I should put some cameras up in the area again.
Posted By: easttex Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19
All the black or near black coyotes I have seen have been close to town, just saying .
Posted By: erich Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19
I called one in in Northern Nevada this past fall, never was able to get a shot at it. I saw one on the Olympic peninsula a number of years ago out in a clear cut while grouse hunting, never got around to going back and calling the area.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19
I killed one years ago. About a mile from where I shot that one, I've killed a bunch over there that had red coats. I'd say it's just a color phase, and not an indicator that they're crossed up with anything.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19
That coyote is waring black face!! For shame !!!!m
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19
I hunt in the low country of SC and they are common in our area. I saw one on the side of the road last weekend actually.

In FL, I have not seen them as much......a friend in central FL trapped about 2 dozen yotes last year in a month timeframe. Of those, 1 was black for what it's worth.
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Black coyotes - 02/22/19
Thanks, I was wondering if he was part dog, we’ve got a surplus of coyotes/coy dogs around here.
Ronnie
Posted By: WL205 Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
Caught these two, a male and a female, in January 2018, 100 yards apart the same morning. Eastern Oklahoma
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
That's an unhappy camper!
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
Originally Posted by erich
I called one in in Northern Nevada this past fall, never was able to get a shot at it. I saw one on the Olympic peninsula a number of years ago out in a clear cut while grouse hunting, never got around to going back and calling the area.

erich, I saw a black coyote on the Olympic Peninsula last week. That's the third black one I've seen in 60 years of chasing them. A pair of coyotes were together in a snowy logging road 40 yards ahead of us, one of them normal and the other larger and looked all black to me. My grandson has better eyes and he said that a part of it was very dark brown rather than all black.

I saw a black one in the Okanagan Valley in south central BC some 25 years ago. It lived in the edge of Vernon, in a shotgun only area, and many local hunters knew about it. I saw it several times and it was not quite totally black, had a little grey in places usually white. The third black one was a dozen years ago a mile north of the US/Canadian border and two miles east of Blaine. That one was in bright afternoon sunshine, mousing in a field within 25 yards of the road. Again, it was not quite all black but had some grey on belly and legs. I'd sure like to get one of those.

From internet reports and photos, apparently black ones are fairly common in parts of the south east.
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
Them 2 look to be a tad unhappy.
Ronnie
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
Never seen or heard of one in AZ
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
Must have used shoe polish and just could not get it off.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
I killed one in East Texas a couple years ago.
Posted By: RayF Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
Saw one, last year, in southern VA. He came out to a fawn in distress call that I was using to get a doe in.

Yeah....she took off at the sight of him and he took off on intuition.
Posted By: Fisch Re: Black coyotes - 02/23/19
Called in and killed one 8 years ago in southern AZ, only one I have seen in 30 years of calling. Decided to leave the electronics and rifle at home that day and go with a mouth call and GP 100, go figure.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Black coyotes - 02/25/19
Just a color phase that is more common in some areas. They are fairly common here.
Posted By: Huntingnut Re: Black coyotes - 02/25/19
I've seen 1 (nowhere close to a town, as was mentioned). Promptly missed it with my recurve.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Black coyotes - 03/17/19
Used to be a Black one Mounted in a gun shop around here!
Posted By: oremi Re: Black coyotes - 03/19/19
They must be some Kinda hybrid yotes. i think they are bigger and sure looks more scary.
Posted By: WL205 Re: Black coyotes - 03/26/19
Originally Posted by oremi
They must be some Kinda hybrid yotes. i think they are bigger and sure looks more scary.

melanism
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Black coyotes - 03/26/19
Fanofthefortyone: I have never seen a black Coyote but over the years I indeed have seen several black Wolves and three Black Foxes here in western Montana.
I'll keep looking.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Black coyotes - 03/26/19
Could be a melanistic phase coyote. Much like the "black panther" some people see or hear about.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Black coyotes - 04/11/19
I've seen some black ones down around Oakland in CA....
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Black coyotes - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've seen some black ones down around Oakland in CA....

I just blew coffee out my nose.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Black coyotes - 04/11/19
I can't recall ever seeing a black one. I took a shot at a very large red one years ago, pretty sure it was a coydog. I was turkey hunting and couldn't get the shotgun laid down and the .44 out before he bolted.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Black coyotes - 04/17/19
Killed one on an old cattle lease we had down by Luling Texas.
Posted By: hanco Re: Black coyotes - 04/27/19
Guy on my old east Texas lease killed one about 5 years ago.
Posted By: Tri70 Re: Black coyotes - 04/29/19
I haven’t seen any around here for 5 or 6 years, used to be some close to town in NW AR by our airport.
© 24hourcampfire