Home
Posted By: lvmiker Dealing w/ fleas - 09/02/19
I plan on doing lots of Coyote hunting this winter and hope to get some good fur. What is your best practice in getting rid of fleas before skinning, or putting in a 4Runner and hearing your growler moan about a few fleas?

I will be on the road a lot and need to plan ahead for this as she hates it when I hang a flea sprayed critter in the motel shower.

mike r
Posted By: mch Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 09/02/19
When I was trapping I would always put them in a trash bag and spray with Raid. Of course I used a truck. If you are going to put them inside, be sure and seal the bag very tight. That stuff is a mild form of nerve gas.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 09/03/19
or you can powder the piss outta them with pyrmethrin(sp?) or zipcide dust....
Posted By: sgtsmmiii Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by mch
When I was trapping I would always put them in a trash bag and spray with Raid. Of course I used a truck. If you are going to put them inside, be sure and seal the bag very tight. That stuff is a mild form of nerve gas.

Same here.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by sgtsmmiii
Originally Posted by mch

Same here.

That is what I have been doing for years but I like to wash them down well before skinning. I guess I'll just unbag them in a self serve car wash and skin them on the ground. I was hoping for something new and improvedgrin

mike r
Posted By: Andy3 Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 09/03/19
I always used Sevin dust (the garden powder used for aphids and other bugs), in a plastic lawn bag.

Andy3
Posted By: Tri70 Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/04/19
White vinegar or rubbing alcohol will work.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/04/19
Lvmike: I have used and recommend the large garden size plastic bag and your favorite flea and tick spray liberally applied outside the vehicle and then tied shut before placing in the bed of my VarmintMobile.
The fleas that don't die quickly will probably not be gettin out of that situation!
Could you tie said bag to the roof of your 4Runner for about two more stands/set-ups before placing the bag and contents inside your rig?
Best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Uncle_Jimbo Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Lvmike: I have used and recommend the large garden size plastic bag and your favorite flea and tick spray liberally applied outside the vehicle and then tied shut before placing in the bed of my VarmintMobile.
The fleas that don't die quickly will probably not be gettin out of that situation!
Could you tie said bag to the roof of your 4Runner for about two more stands/set-ups before placing the bag and contents inside your rig?
Best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I hunt from a Subaru at times and the above is what I do. Shoot them and put them in a bag with a liberal amount of Raid. Leave them outside the vehicle (on the roof) for the next stand or two. Then I'll pull them off the roof and skin them on a fence post. Place the pelt in another garbage bag with another shot of Raid (to be safe) and then into a cooler or box inside the car. No fleas, bugs or blood inside the car yet.
Posted By: hanco Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/12/19
I would get a truck!
Posted By: texken Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/19/19
might no work for your situation, "skin and hang out to freeze for a few days" worked for me
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/19/19
Toss 'em up on the roof of the 4runner, and take the interstate home. After a few miles at 75 in freezing weather will have most of the fleas blown off by the time you get home. Less fleas=Less bites to deal with....

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: keith Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/21/19
Best use two bags or an extra thick 55gallon drum bag, powder/spray well, use zip ties on the bags.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/22/19
Why don't you skin them right there on the spot, then put the hides in plastic bags and transport them that way? Why wash them before skinning or wait to skin them once you're at a motel?

Once you have some pelts in a trash bag, spray with raid all you want. To avoid the use of raid I have used soapy water, and adding baking soda and even salt helps even more. It has worked just as well as raid for me, without the nasty fumes. It also washes the blood off the pelts and the salt/baking soda helps draw any moisture out once they're dry.

Either a roof rack or a trailer hitch cargo carrier would be useful for keeping them out of the 4 Runner.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Dealing w/ fleas - 11/22/19
Huntsman keeps his blow dryer handy to fluff them back up after washing. wink
© 24hourcampfire