Home
Posted By: Tolna Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/07/19
I have several issues of Varmint Hunter Magazine.
Believe 31 issues in all #13 thru #44 (nice condition)
Any one has and interest, shoot me a PM. Not sure what they are worth.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/12/19
The Steve Timm era issues are awesome but not sure of the value, the post Steve Timm era issues are worthless and part of the reason for the VHA demise. Not sure of what era your issues are in
Posted By: Hellgate Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/18/19
I was a charter member of VHA and have the first year or two of issues including two of Issue #1 (one has a brown dust jacket). My wife has been hounding me to sell them but I also have no idea what to ask for them. I might have one issue #30-something missing. Where would be a place to start?
Posted By: Lonny Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/18/19
When the VHA was going strong, the back issues were worth some money.

It seems over the past few years, since they closed the doors, the issues aren't worth much, if anything.

IMHO, once upon a time, it was the best magazine for the buck.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/19/19

Originally Posted by boatanchor
The Steve Timm era issues are awesome but not sure of the value, the post Steve Timm era issues are worthless and part of the reason for the VHA demise. Not sure of what era your issues are in

THANK YOU, my friend. Believe it or not, your comments make me feel good. Great, actually.

We were all working toward a common goal and that really, really went to crap after intolerable greed drove me away. I'll not mention names, but that is simple to figure out

I truly loved my readers (still do) and I loved sharing what little knowledge I have. And that's a fact.

Blessings to all,

Steve
I have given most of mine away to guys at the gun club. They get passed from one to another and suspect they eventually get trashed. Better that than nothing.
Bill
Posted By: Scotty Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/20/19

I remember when I was getting the Varmint Hunter I would go to the table of content and look for Steve's name. A lot of good information on building a rifle.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by Scotty

I remember when I was getting the Varmint Hunter I would go to the table of content and look for Steve's name. A lot of good information on building a rifle.

A BIG plus 1. Steve's articles were always my first read. I copied his 280 AI and Karen's 260AI as builds for my 270 and 260. Years before I found the campfire, I reached out to Steve and he was more than kind in spending a long hour on the phone with me on my first build. Even though he is an absolute expert in all thing guns and ballistics, he is a hunter to the core and I wanted a rifle that would be used in the hills. Forever thankful for his help and writings.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/20/19
Good day, 24hr, Even way up here in Canada I was hooked by Steves writings. Always checked out his articles first. Loved reading his first!!! He had a great chart that you could go to immediately to check out the facts first then read the article. Wish other gun writers would adopt it? Months later if you had forgot the specs you could go look them up fast instead of trying to skip through the whole article. I new that VH was going down hill when they published an article of mine!!!? Wish you would write for someone els Steve!!!!!! The internet is quick & all but the gun rags were great back then for rainy days in camp, hot rum, a gun rag, dog on the bunk with ya, hunting talk all round, card game, then maybe a snooozzz. ,!? Thanks Steve. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: dale06 Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/21/19
I was a subscriber for many years. It was a great magazine but was going down hill in value, in my view. I dropped my subscription about a year before they closed.
And like others, I really enjoyed Steve Timms writings.

The later issues had lots of pics of Steve Tim’s replacement along with his wife out varminting on members dime
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/30/19

no wonder they went tits up......
Posted By: drover Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 11/30/19
As usual my timing was spot on LOL- I sent in a years renewal one month before they went under. I should have spent the money on components.

Like other folks posted Dogzapper was my favorite contributor - Brezny was my least favorite.

drover
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 12/01/19
Hairtrigger,

Who was Steve Timm's replacement?
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 12/03/19
L P Brezny, was who they replaced Steve with. He was 180 degrees opposite, uninteresting, very condescending and double jointed arms (he could pat his own back like none other).
L P was not the only reason for the VHA demise, changes in management finished it off.
Steve Timm's articles in Varmint Hunter and Marty Meierotto's articles in Fur,Fish and Game were the first thing I looked for in new issues (had subscriptions to both)
Guns & Ammo, I flipped straight to the Backpage to see what Col. Cooper had to opine.

Thanks Steve!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 12/11/19
Hellgate: I also was a very early charter and life member (#185) of the Varmint Hunter Association and of course have the complete collection of Varmint Hunter magazines (including two Issue #1's) tucked safely away in my library/office.
I also have quite a few issues of the predecessor magazine to Varmint Hunter which was called "Varmint Hunters International" - I have gleaned an immense amount of information and valuable destination info from both magazines and was sad to see the demise of the Varmint Hunters Association and the end of the magazine. I only got to attend two of the annual jamborees/shoots/conventions - great fun and great times those.
I also looked forward every few months for the latest issue to arrive and enjoyed SO very much Steve Timms articles/writings and photographs.
I fondly remember taking some time away from the Portland, Oregon gunshow and taking both Steve Timm and Darrell Holland out to lunch!
What a pleasant visit that was.
At one time I was contemplating selling my complete collection of Varmint Hunter and Varmint Hunters International magazines - I am glad today that I did not.
From time to time I get out an issue and re-read many of the articles and enjoy the pictures and especially Steve Timms treatises - something, sadly, I can no longer say about today's latest crop of "outdoor writers"/magazines!
I say (to the original poster) save those magazines.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Those magazines, even after Steve departed, have value for articles that really dig into the arcana of making good ammunition for the field, cartridges to try, rifles to scheme for. I learned so many new things, went to a couple of Jamborees (got my @$$ kicked) and hunted with other members (got my @$$ kicked) and northwestern coordinator Gary Lobe (REALLY got my @$$ kicked). Wouldn't trade that for anything. When Gary downsized, I got some of his stuff, which I treasure for the memories.

And yeah, I really couldn't understand how LP got on the regular list. His writer tricks were the clumsiest of anyone I've ever seen in print. But I guess he was too close to Pierre to be ignored.

You could sell them on Fleabay, I suppose, but perhaps you should ask around locally, someone who wants to be a good shooter with good rifles. When I have no use for them, which I hope is a long time coming, that's what I'm going to do, hand them over to someone with potential.
Posted By: tcp Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 12/22/19
I would be interested in these magazines. Pm sent.
Just throwing it out there, but I'm in need of issue #5 if anyone has a spare they'd be willing to sell.
Posted By: Bergy1967 Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 01/23/21
I have a volume #5 if interested.
Originally Posted by Bergy1967
I have a volume #5 if interested.

I might be interested. PM me what you want for it.
I have to admit to being a Steve Timm fan, too. I covet that blue 223AI of his! I miss him here, too. He (Dogzapper) and Mule Deer have always been my favorite posters.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 01/28/21

I have back issues

When I sell stuff...

I'll usually just throw in one of the back issues

with the product I sold......nice guy eh ?
Posted By: sscoyote Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 02/02/21
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hellgate: I also was a very early charter and life member (#185) of the Varmint Hunter Association and of course have the complete collection of Varmint Hunter magazines (including two Issue #1's) tucked safely away in my library/office.
I also have quite a few issues of the predecessor magazine to Varmint Hunter which was called "Varmint Hunters International" - I have gleaned an immense amount of information and valuable destination info from both magazines and was sad to see the demise of the Varmint Hunters Association and the end of the magazine. I only got to attend two of the annual jamborees/shoots/conventions - great fun and great times those.
I also looked forward every few months for the latest issue to arrive and enjoyed SO very much Steve Timms articles/writings and photographs.
I fondly remember taking some time away from the Portland, Oregon gunshow and taking both Steve Timm and Darrell Holland out to lunch!
What a pleasant visit that was.
At one time I was contemplating selling my complete collection of Varmint Hunter and Varmint Hunters International magazines - I am glad today that I did not.
From time to time I get out an issue and re-read many of the articles and enjoy the pictures and especially Steve Timms treatises - something, sadly, I can no longer say about today's latest crop of "outdoor writers"/magazines!
I say (to the original poster) save those magazines.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Ehh VG hows about "Prairie Dog News" Ned Kalbfleish editor? Can't remember at work now. Those were the days...
I loved Steve Timms articles. Have a big pile of most of the issues at the cabin and always read some of them when I’m back there.
Also liked fur,fish and game and Marty meierotto’s articles.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 02/04/21
LP Brezny was, (and probably still is), a blowhard.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 02/04/21
Sscoyote: Yes I learned MANY a nifty place to chase Colony Varmints from the original "Varmint Hunters International" magazine - I believe they were edited/published by Michael Comstock and Sam Landis.
If I recall correctly there was a legal tiff of some civil kind that resulted in the "consolidation" of two quarrelers and Ned Kalbfleish became editor of the "Varmint Hunters Magazine"?
Winter of 1992 was a long time ago for me trying to recollect exactly went down back and just before then.
Met Ned a couple of times back in South Dakota at some Varmint Hunter Conventions great guy.
And used to trade guns and "stories" with Steve Timm way back when - his articles were FIRST RATE!
I still covet his Ramshorn handled Hunting knife!
Sad that the magazine went away.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: aalf Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 02/05/21
Originally Posted by Craigster
LP Brezny was, (and probably still is), a blowhard.

And a d-bag....tough to wade through his babble......
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Varmint Hunter Magazine - 02/14/21
VHA was a great magazine. I came across one of my patches in the reloading room a few weeks back. I joined somewhere around issue #16 and quickly bought as many back issues as I could. I never did find the first three issues and a handful of others I was on the lookout for. I wish I could have. Like others have mentioned, I too drifted off a couple years after Steve Timm left. I have done a lot of technical writing in the past, but Steve was, still is I would bet, a true artist when it comes to the printed word! I had always wanted to attend a varmint safari but I was in my early 30s then with a young family, just starting a career, and not a lot of money. As the saying goes, that’s life.

Steve, do you still write these days? All the best to you and yours and thanks!
© 24hourcampfire