Home
Posted By: BobMt red dot coyote hunting - 12/08/19

does anyone use them for calling.....on a rifle......bob
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/08/19
not any more......
Posted By: BobMt Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/08/19

what was the downside.....bob
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/08/19
The ones that fail to commit. Or hang up out there laughing at you. Might as well have a tool that covers more than 1 base...
Posted By: erich Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/09/19
You can accomplish the same thing with a 1-4 with an illuminated dot, on 1x you have a red dot on 4x you have a 300 yard scope.
Posted By: BobMt Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/09/19

what scope do you like.....getting ready to set up a 222....bob
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/09/19
I like the red dot system, use them on pistol/revolvers and an AR. I think for coyote hunting, they probably shine the best when mounted on a shotgun, on a rifle they can be limiting if your shooting at distance over 100 yards or so?
Posted By: erich Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/09/19
I have an Alpen Optics 1.5-6x4?mm, a Burris 4x 1.5-6x4?mm and a Elite 4200 1.25-4x24mm with illuminated dots on calling rifles. Three Leupold 1-4x20mm scopes with bold duplex on combo guns I use for calling coyotes and three more 1.5-6x4?mm on coyote hunting rifles. I've never felt under scoped.

I pretty much hunt coyotes anymore usually going out every other day right now while the pelts are good. I like to experiment with different platforms, cartridges and scopes

222's

Sako Vixen Leupold 1-4x20mm
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Model 70 Weaver Kaspa 1-4x24mm(cheap but works well I couldn't resist the price and just had to see if it)

Marrochi/American Arms 12ga/222Rem Nikon 1-4x20mm
Posted By: TheKid Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by erich
You can accomplish the same thing with a 1-4 with an illuminated dot, on 1x you have a red dot on 4x you have a 300 yard scope.

I use a VXR 1.25-4 Firedot on my AR that lives in my truck. Down on 2X or so it’s murder on running pigs boiling out of a thicket. And at 4X I have no issues hitting a coyote out at 250 or a bit more.
Posted By: Tri70 Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/24/19
I know some guys love the red dots in a scout configuration on their rifles, it keeps them light and fast handling, they shoot good out to 200 yds. I’m considering setting one up on my next AR build.
Posted By: ingwe Re: red dot coyote hunting - 12/25/19
Originally Posted by BobMt

does anyone use them for calling.....on a rifle......bob

Ive got a red dot in an illuminated reticle for calling? Does that count?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire