Home
So I get up around 6:40 am and am making coffee when my dogs start barking. It is getting light and I notice my neighbors cows bunched up next to the fence then I notice a coyote circling the cows and calves, another worrying the white cow named Jesebel to keep her attention while the other is trying to hamstring one of the calves. These are "miniature" cows so all but one are a lot smaller than your usual cow. At any rate I grab my 22-250 loaded with 45 gr. Speer semi spitzers on top of 14.0 grains of Blue dot. At a measly 75 yards my bullet hits the coyote trying to get to a calf right under the left shoulder blade and it drops. The other took the hint and tore @ss! The bullet did exit leaving a nice round hole a bit less than 1/2 inch in diameter. I am thinking about upping the powder charge to maybe get the bullet to fragment more. I did find what exited laying on the ground, a flattened jacket with just a smear of lead left in it. This being my "egg shoot" rifle the 14.0 grain load was chosen because of it's accuracy, it was also the first load I tried in this rifle using Blue Dot.
Sounds like it works fine! I'd keep using it!
I guess it is foolish to fix something that is not broke but it gives me a reason to fool around and do some shooting!
I wouldn't change a thing.
Man I gotta try these Blue Dot loads.
I use them in several calibers. The one thing in common is that they all shoot very good groups. Not for high vel. but for min range loads.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I wouldn't change a thing.

+1

Sounds like they make fer useful coyotes!
Originally Posted by rickt300
I guess it is foolish to fix something that is not broke but it gives me a reason to fool around and do some shooting!

Mr. Pot? Hello, Kettle's the name....
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Man I gotta try these Blue Dot loads.

Roy, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows another guy, etc, who might be able to set you up with some of that load data stuff..

I'd have to make a few calls tho.. and it may take a couple of days for all these guys who know a guy, to get back to me..
Rick, the load is perfect. Jacket could not hurt anything, and if the shot had been a little off, then he would have been leaking from two places!

Now, go get another!
This might sound funny to all but a rifle looney. I put a 1 in 12 twist 223 barrel topped with a 2x7 Leupold on one of my Contender frames, worked up to 12 grains of Blue Dot under the same bullet to get identical accuracy and maybe a bit more velocity. But then again I can pride myself in saving 2 grains of powder! Only fired 30 shots to get there though.
You might be able to "fix" it just a little more. But just a hair.
My loads are 13.8 in 223 and 14.4 in 22BR under 40s. Both are "on the cam" and frisky. The extra 5 grains of 45 SMPs over 14 grains might be "just right" in your 22-250, however. So if you go up, keep in mind Blue Dot goes mild to wild PDQ. Seafire uses a chrono for his workups and his numbers show where it's time to call off the chase.
Nice shot, tho.
The blend of low noise, fine accuracy and good velocities really makes Blue Dot a fine powder. The only thing that would make it better would be if it could be dipped or metered like IMR 4227.
© 24hourcampfire