Home
Posted By: IA_fog Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/20/20
Ok so my thread below about truck guns someone mentioned a ruger American
Interested a little
Pros and cons of it? Accurate?
The forearm on the stocks feel flimsy to me.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/20/20
I have this one that takes AR mags and the stock is way stiffer than the older models. My older .300BO has the flimsy stock but shoots fine.

[Linked Image from oi723.photobucket.com]

It'll hang with my Tikka SL accuracy wise even when giving up some magnification using the Super Chicken 6x Mil Quad. It's short and handy [unsupressed] although a bit heavy.
There have been volumes written about the accuracy of the Ruger American. They are, generally, the most accurate rifle in their price category and beyond.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/20/20
Which is better a American or a cz 527
The 527 is a much nicer rifle. May outshoot the Ruger, may not.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/20/20
My RAR .223 isn' the Ranch, but it is now since I had the barrel shortened for suppressor reasons. Bought it for a beat-around, back up, truck rifle.

Shoots great. Way better than I would have guessed for $300 out the door. It has the early version, more flimsy stock, but that hasn't been a problem. Although I did open the barrel channel up a bit to keep barrel contact down. Put in a lighter trigger spring and junked the "accutrigger" thing. The only drawback is the magazine's pretty much suck, but they seem to be slightly better recently and there are after-market option's now.
I'm happy with my Ruger. No the stock is not the most rigid thing out there, but it does shoot.

I've got a Magpul Hunter stock for it, waiting on the new magazines from Magpul.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: JDinCO Re: Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/20/20
I got the RAR in 308 into a Magpul Hunter stock, have a couple of things yet to do and then to the range, would like to know how you like it when you get your Hunter stock together.
I'll post some info whenever I get those magazines. Status on Magpul's website is 'Coming Soon'.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/pmags/pmag105-56ac.html
Posted By: mistem Re: Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/21/20
Tag
Most accurate predator rifle I have ever had. 4-12 diamondback. I load 55gr vmax fb. Varget powder. .5 groups all day! Its awesome to have on your back when your weaving through trees on a fourwheeler or snow machine with that short barrel. I love mine!
Posted By: Lonny Re: Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/25/20
Some groups using the cheapest .223 ammo I could find that didn't use a fmj bullet, when I purchased my RAR .223 to see if it would shoot or not.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm happy with my Ruger. No the stock is not the most rigid thing out there, but it does shoot.

I've got a Magpul Hunter stock for it, waiting on the new magazines from Magpul.

Can you elaborate some on that Unique load? Do you use a filler?
TIA
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Can you elaborate some on that Unique load? Do you use a filler?
TIA

No filler. I dip/trickle, hand weigh each charge, for safety.

I chose 9.0 gr because a double charge would overflow the case. 9.0 gr is about 55% case fill.

Velocity around 2700 fps from the 22" barrel.

Solid prairie dog load to 200 yards. Gun doesn't get too hot.
Don't get the 'air show' of the higher velocity, but decisive kills.

A double,

Quickload predictions,

223 Rem
40gr VMax
9.0 gr Unique
57% case fill
35,707 Lbs PSI Max Chamber Pressure
2716 FPS, 22" barrel

100 yard zero
150 yards -1.3"
200 yards - -4.4" (.6 mil, or 2 moa)

velocity/energy

100 - 2340/485
150 - 2160/415
200 - 1990/352
Thanks MM, I have never tried pistol powder reduced loads. I've often thought about working up something like that to snipe gray squirrels further out than my .22 RF guns will reach.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Ruger American ranch 223 - 01/27/20
I got one when they first came out. It’s accurate. Mine has over 2K rounds through it. 25 grains of 335 and a 50 grain z-max. Killed lots of small critters with it. My only complaint is the considerable muzzle blast from the short barrel. I think a lot of that has to do with the powder I use.
© 24hourcampfire