Home
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Dead deer.. - 04/18/20
I have a friend with a small farm in central Pa.. We were talking this am , and he told me of finding several dead whitetails on his place.. The didn't appear to be shot.. But the last one he found was this am.. It was still fresh and the deer had the nose eaten off, and something started eating the flanks.. I felt someone would have an idea of what killed this one..
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Dead deer.. - 04/19/20
A predator.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Dead deer.. - 04/19/20
cats start at the hams down here. bite the neck .put a camera on it
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Dead deer.. - 04/19/20
There are LOTS of large coyotes in PA.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Dead deer.. - 04/19/20
Sign of a struggle? Snow all gone there?

No matter how the deer died, coyotes, birds etc, will more than likely show up to clean up the carcass so a camera might not show what really happened.

I found a yearling mule deer dead the other day while checking fence. Couldn't have been dead more than a day and looked like it died right in it's bed. Nothing had touched it yet. My guess was sort sort of disease because it has been a mild winter?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Dead deer.. - 04/21/20
Coyotes are famous for digging into the flanks where the tissue is soft. They do the same on dead cattle.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Dead deer.. - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by Lonny
Sign of a struggle?

I found a yearling mule deer dead the other day while checking fence. Couldn't have been dead more than a day and looked like it died right in it's bed. Nothing had touched it yet. My guess was sort sort of disease because it has been a mild winter?

Did you chalk it up to Covid19? .................................. grin
Posted By: hanco Re: Dead deer.. - 05/15/20
Probably coyotes
Posted By: salmonhead Re: Dead deer.. - 05/15/20
Coyotes also eat the face off the deer early, or will grab their face during the take down, while another coyote hamstrings them. They often start eating them before they die. Watched in during bow season first hand.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Dead deer.. - 05/15/20
coyotes here, brought in By the Insurance co.s to cut down on deer related auto accidents.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Dead deer.. - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by Hubert
coyotes here, brought in By the Insurance co.s to cut down on deer related auto accidents.

Dream on......
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Dead deer.. - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
There are LOTS of large coyotes in PA.

We've got some coyote that you could put a saddle on and ride. Seriously big dogs.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Dead deer.. - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by Hubert

Traded rattlesnakes for coyotes. Dispersed by black choppers at night.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Dead deer.. - 05/16/20
Aliens.
© 24hourcampfire