Home
I see a lot of advertising about Sitka gear/clothing. Anybody like it? Would recommend it? Appreciate any and all feedback! TIA!
I purchased the blaze orange jacket for deer hunting. Haven’t used it yet but high quality and fit well.
I bought a few peices discounted (camofire), tried it this year and here's my take::

I have a light weight turtle neck top, a medium zip top and a goretex "mountain parka", couple pair of gloves, beanies (light and heavy weights).

The light gloves, I can't see my self wearing them unless it's raining and warm (not likely I'd be hunting in that), the medium weight gloves are great with army surplus wool liners.

I wore both tops and jackets in just above freezing temps, I was good far about 90 minutes then started getting cold and it just spread - the way getting chilled does, The next day was colder so I dressed mych heavier and was toasty all day.

It works fine (as does many other brands) in layers and for the occasion, If I was walking, I'd been fine - maybe even over dressed) but for sitting in a stand, on a frigid cold day - not with the stuff I own.
Maybe with a heavier jacket, etc... Maybe one of the high end heavy jackets, better insulation But for that I have a very old Woolrich Wool jacket.

I will say it's Gore Tex so it dod stop the wind and rain, again, I'd prefer to have a wool sweater underneath,

Light weight beenie I LOVE, warm, not too hot, and I can put a baseball cap on top to shield my eyes from the sun.

Also, thei silk underwaer is extremely comfortable - probably the best offering from Sitka.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated!
I looked at some today in fact. And after checking the prices,I couldn't help but think of all the Carhart I could buy for the same money

But that's just me.
I really like the mountain pants for western hunting.
Just got some of their rain gear on sale. Won't be able to comment until next fall, for the price (even on sale) hope it works. No help I know.
I used to wear their gear all the time. It is really good, can't go wrong with it, especially if you get it on sale. I've since converted to Kuiu gear. It is more expensive. I think it's better qualit and better designed, but that's up to each wearer. The Sitka co-founder also started Kuiu.
So in talking with my oldest 35 yr. old son who I still hunt with, and he still hunts all over the Country, Rifle and Archery. He has used the Sitka gear, and likes it, and also uses the Kuiu gear, and bought me some, that we used last year out west! I didn't know that the owner of Kuiu gear is the same as Sitka! Thanks
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Just got some of their rain gear on sale. Won't be able to comment until next fall, for the price (even on sale) hope it works. No help I know.

I'm anxious to hear what you think! Good rain gear is essential! Thanks!
Originally Posted by Aviator
I really like the mountain pants for western hunting.

My son has the same pants for hunting, and likes them also! Thanks!
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I looked at some today in fact. And after checking the prices,I couldn't help but think of all the Carhart I could buy for the same money

But that's just me.

We all are entitled to our opinion! I used to wear Carhardt's hunting all the time, some 40 yrs. ago,wore out many, but my Son has moved me into the modern Era, in hunting gear! lol!!! Thanks!
I took the plunge and bought SitkaGear before a trip to Kodiak Island for a spring bear hunt several years ago. I spent more on that gear than I had spent on the rest of my hunting clothes combined.

I stayed warm and dry the whole trip. It was money well spent. I find their gear well thought out and made
I agree with you John!

Gotta have good Gear!

Thanks for the input!

HS58
A friend who is a yearly hard core sheep hunter wears it and likes it. He wears Merino Wool under garment on top and when the climb is over he has a light weight down jacket he wears under it when sitting and glassing.

Climbing for sheep, goats and bears keeps about any one warm, but when one plops down to glass for extended periods of time, it is and eye opener the first time on how fast a 10 mph breeze will chill the body.
I agree!

Yeah, sweating up while your moving, and then trying to stay warm, when,
you stop for any extended period of time is the trick!

HS58
I haven't used Sitka, but I bought some Kuiu and Core4Element for some hunts in NZ and Spain over the years. Those are the only hunts where I needed some technical type clothing where lightweight and controlling moisture were an issue.

Core4Element went out of business, but their clothing was head and shoulders better then Kuiu or Sitka, for significantly less money.

For the average whitetail hunter that still hunts or does minimal stalking (and maybe to a lesser extent elk hunters), the need for the technical gear probably isn't required. For the sheep and goat hunters, there's no doubt. The benefit of layers, pit zippers and thigh zippers to control temperature to minimize perspiration and light weight and fabric stretch are all essential. As are knee pads, elbow pads etc. Especially if wet or foggy weather is also a factor.
Great points Thanks!
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I haven't used Sitka, but I bought some Kuiu and Core4Element for some hunts in NZ and Spain over the years. Those are the only hunts where I needed some technical type clothing where lightweight and controlling moisture were an issue.

Core4Element went out of business, but their clothing was head and shoulders better then Kuiu or Sitka, for significantly less money.

I have some Sitka and Core4Element outer wear/soft shells that I’ve used over the past 10yrs and my experience/opinion is the other way around. I bought all of it on “after season” sales, so price I paid for each piece was a good bit lower than MSRP, but the Sitka was still more expensive. I found the “price/performance” of each was pretty accurate, meaning their prices were reflective of performance. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I

I thought this too with respect to their rain gear. I didn't know they went out of business. That explains why I could not find more of their gear to try.
Interesting, guy's!
I didn't know that!
Thanks for the input!
HS58
If Sika came in my size I would buy it.
I have a few pieces, and like them a lot.

Top quality materials and workmanship.

I really like the heavyweight hoodie, a timberline pants.

Noticed they finally are discounting the prices.

Stuff is pricey, but high quality stuff usually is
I like the Sitka I have very much. I started with First Light, Went to KUIU for my sheep hunt and finally ended up with Sitka mainly due to the discounts and 3XL sizing.. I think all three brands are fine.

The Sitka rain jacket and pants are excellent if a bit noisy. I just take them off when the rain shuts down. The zips are sturdy and easy to use.

Except for pants I use Sitka or Black Ovis more than anything else for temps down to 20 degrees or so.

For pants I wear the KUIU Attack and Tiburon pants usually in solid colors. They are very close to perfect for my uses.

The fit of Sitkas 3XL tops is better for me than KUIU. The rest is about the same but the tops are the important part of a camo setup to me.

Their accessories are very nice, especially the various hats. I particularly like the LW ball cap.
I have about every layer and model of Sitka gear and am pleased with fit and function. It is made on the small side, meaning you need to get XXL if you normally wear XL.

If you are looking for economy, neither Sitka or Kuiu are made for you. It is highly specialized gear and you pay for it. Sitka has fantastic customer support and will stand behind any product malfunction with quick and reliable warranty repairs or replacement.

Most all my outdoor gear is Sitka or Simms. Simms is another company that makes extremely high quality and specialized gear for the person that requires the utmost in durability and function. Customer support is as good as Sitka and so is the clothing…
More great info, and comments!
I agree that they do tend to run a little small on sizing, and upping to the next size
works for me!

HS58
i have a few of their pieces. a Down parka and a few pieces of baselayers and a hoodie. that said I took a pair of their pants and put them side by side to a pair of Proper tactical pants and the material is identical to my eyes, but the propers were 39 bucks a pair
Interesting!

I'd be interested if you'd proof test them, and report back!!!

A lot of the Sitka Products, although not cheap, are proven here worthy!

Thanks for responding.

HS58
As others have said - tend to run small / athletic fit.
© 24hourcampfire