Home
Posted By: Woodsmoke Hats - 04/22/14
I was wondering, do any of you ever consider a hat? I do. I wear a ball cap most of the time. But just recently I bought a brimmed hat. I'm still getting use to it. My wife just rolls her purty eyes. But it seems that certain people can wear a hat and others can't. I like my new hat even if she (and others) may think I look silly . I'll countinue to wear it at the right times like going to camp, and keep my ball cap for work and every day wear. Do any of you have hats for the woods or fishing or whatever?
Posted By: whelenndealin Re: Hats - 04/22/14
Just a regular ball cap for me. Unless it's really cold.
Posted By: rattler Re: Hats - 04/23/14
if you like the hat, wear the hat....just becomes part of your look after awhile....i picked up a brimmed hat for my Texas trip....dont wear a hat much but ive got my hair cropped short and last thing i want it to sun burn my scalp crazy
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Hats - 04/23/14
Fedora lounge

Where I live only dills go without headwear.

In cooler weather I wear a Stetson from Bernie Utz, warm weather wear is an Akubra, when walking a cloth hat (giggle hat) is handy as it doesn't allow sweat to roll down over the eyes, a baseball cap is handy when driving.

Beats the heck out of having half your face eaten away by cancer, I saw enough of the old blokes with that when I was a lad in Queensland...and it is not for me!
this is what im going with:
[Linked Image]

combined with a Buff bandana to block the sun that gets through....unfortunately im of Norwegian heritage and my blood is awful thick so sweat pours off me and most normal solid style hats just compound the problem....hopefully this blocks enough sun without adding to me heating up

http://buffusa.com/sports
Good choice, and I know what you mean as I sweat like a pig as well.

One of these days I am going to have a look at some straw hats for use in hot weather.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Hats - 04/23/14
One of these days I am going to have a look at some straw hats for use in hot weather.

A regular straw had makes my head sweat too much. I like the ones similar to the picture Rattler posted except the brim an open weave like the top part. Hard to find this year and I need a new one often. miles
Posted By: Woodsmoke Re: Hats - 04/23/14
I bought mine from Cabela's "Eagle's Pass". No mesh, But 3 holes on either side of the crown for venting. It seemed to me like they had a large selection.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Hats - 04/23/14
What's a dill? I concur that a brimmed hat is more functional, but I end up wearing ball caps most of the time.
Originally Posted by K1500
What's a dill? I concur that a brimmed hat is more functional, but I end up wearing ball caps most of the time.

Meaning of dill.
Originally Posted by Woodsmoke
I bought mine from Cabela's "Eagle's Pass". No mesh, But 3 holes on either side of the crown for venting. It seemed to me like they had a large selection.

with me there might aswell be no holes.....not enough air circulation to keep my head cool enough.....but i overheat alot faster than most folks....
Posted By: K1500 Re: Hats - 04/24/14
Thanks for the Aussie slang link, that was fun.
Posted By: Woodsmoke Re: Hats - 04/24/14
For what it's worth, I ordered a hat from Sportsmans guide and it should be here next week!
Posted By: Ploughman Re: Hats - 04/24/14
When I was younger I wore nothing but seed-corn caps. The sun on my neck and ears never seemed to bother me then while I was out farming. I worked nights for about five years in my late 30s, and somehow I felt the sun a lot more when I was farming during the day. I've taken to wearing straw hats during 'straw hat season' (Memorial day to Labor Day). I get the cheapest imported Mexican straw hats ( about $10) to wear while baling hay and other dirty, dusty jobs around the farm, and throw them away at the end of the summer. I buy better grade straws ($30 and up)for church and business wear, and demote them to farm wear(for less dirty work) after they start getting sweat stained, which is generally about one summer. I've noticed that the sweat stains show up more after the hat has been in the closet over the winter.

I have a similar policy for fur felt hats: Buy a decent quality hat, wear it for church and business wear while it looks presentable, then wear it around the farm as long as it lasts. Good quality fur hats, if taken proper care of, will stay looking good for years, and will last even longer as a work/sport hat when you don't care how it looks. I have a Shepler's 'Dynafelt' fur blend hat that I now wear around the farm that I bought 30 years ago.

One other thing, some biting insects, most notably deer fly, won't come in under a hat brim to land on and bite your ears and the back of your neck.
Posted By: rattler Re: Hats - 04/25/14
Originally Posted by Woodsmoke
For what it's worth, I ordered a hat from Sportsmans guide and it should be here next week!

thats where i got the one above.....
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Hats - 04/26/14
I worked for 30 years as a teacher and coach. I spent a lot of time outside coaching football and soccer. Part of our responsibilities included maintaining the fields. The game field had to be mowed 3 times a week and practice fields at least twice, so I was out quite a bit even during summers.

When younger I wore a ball cap just to keep the sun out of my eyes. Got older, wiser and afraid of skin cancer and wore a brimmed hat for the last 15 years or so. Went through some cheap ones, but finally bought a Tilley. It wasn't cheap, but I can't wear it out.
Posted By: Woodsmoke Re: Hats - 04/26/14
I have read about the Tilly's, and will probably have one sooner than later.
Posted By: Woodsmoke Re: Hats - 04/26/14
Just got the hat feom sportsmsns guide. Don't like the look or the fit. Guess it's time to try a tilley.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Hats - 04/28/14
I've had a Stetson, medium brimmed hat for over 20 years. Use it hunting and during the winter months. It is a Gun Club series hat and keeps me warm and the sun out of my eyes. I also have a brimmed hat for summer and baseball style hat for yard work. I wouldn't go out without one. Don't worry about what others think about the way it looks on you. If it is comfortable, wear it with pleasure.
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Hats - 05/03/14
I wear a Smithbilt 6X Stetson type, Had it for 44 hears it keeps the rain and sun of and just wont die.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Woodsmoke Re: Hats - 05/04/14
Classic in every way FoxtonGundogs. Every bit a tool as it is a a part of you, is'nt it?
Posted By: LostHighway Re: Hats - 10/11/14
Summer I wear the Sun Day Afternoons hat. About good as it gets for protection from the sun. Tilley for colder weather.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Hats - 10/13/14
summer, straw.
[Linked Image]

fall, stetson 30x black felt.
[Linked Image]

winter, carhartt ball cap
[Linked Image]

spring, stetson 30x silverbelly felt
[Linked Image]

or any of the others, as it suits....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/elk%20season/GunBearer.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/elk%20season/23.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/elk%20season/21.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/elk%20season/IMG_3608_zpsdad13f05.jpg[/img]

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Hats - 10/13/14
Really like that Straw hat in your top Pict. It's just like my George Strait Resistol I've been trying to wear out for 20 years.
Most of the time here in TX, it's just too damn hot for me to wear my Black Stetson with that same crease.
Been wearing a hat since I could walk. 6th generations of Ranchers in my family. Very rarely see anyone in my Family without one. Unless I'm wearing my shorts in the summer time. And then it's just a regular ole ball cap.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Hats - 10/17/14
I wear ball caps a lot but when its hunting season or I am running the tractor I wear brimmed hats. My cowboy hats, felt or straw, and a couple of canvas brimmed hats for hunting. My favorite is a straw fedora that just fits right. It stays put in windy conditions and shades my eyes and neck pretty well.

I winter I use a few different wool hats from ball caps to those kind with ear flaps and a chin tie. The best one is a "bomber" hat.
Posted By: J23 Re: Hats - 10/21/14
I wear ball caps 99% of the time in the summer months.. If its cooler to cold, usually my Stormy Kromer, or knit cap/toboggan/beanie.
Posted By: MikeinTX Re: Hats - 10/24/14
Woodsmoke

It really hurts when someone steals your Tilly. Just ask me.

Mike B
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Hats - 10/24/14
not half as bad as a $400 stetson.....
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Hats - 10/25/14
Woodsmoke;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours acceptably well.

As I was born and raised in Saskatchewan and migrated progressively westward since, I've been in hat country my entire life. My first good quality outdoor hat was a fur felt Biltmore made back when they made western styles as well.

It was my main cover in most weather for about 15 years.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finally the sweatband fell apart and some holes appeared in it so it was replaced by a wool felt Bailey that again has covered my head in the intervening years since my hair has receded to the vanishing point. wink

[Linked Image]

It gets worn doing more traditional western chores too.

[Linked Image]

It's proven to be a bit of a "lucky" hat somehow as stuff seems to come home with us when I'm wearing it....

[Linked Image]

[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/scan0001-5_zpsfdd36437.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/Amy1464.jpg[/img]

Still worked this fall too, so it'll be on my head in the morning as an old hunting partner who's moved away comes down for a quick hunt together. Here it is with this fall's meat mulie buck.

[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/hunting/DSCN5174_zpsdf6c12b6.jpg[/img]

Anyway sir you can indeed count me as one who is wearing a western hat until the weather turns too cold and then it's a Kromer.

Till later then. grin
[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/Amy1773_zpsde10ffd5.jpg[/img]

Dwayne
Posted By: Swift Re: Hats - 10/25/14
[quote=J23]I wear ball caps 99% of the time in the summer months.. If its cooler to cold, usually my Stormy Kromer, /quote]
ditto
Posted By: SmokeEater2 Re: Hats - 10/31/14
I've worn straw hats in the summer and felt in the winter all my life.

Mostly Stetson and Resistol but I have an ancient greenish felt made by the Beaver hat company that is the perfect hunting hat and I'm pretty well convinced it's lucky.

Good hats are worth every penny they cost.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Hats - 11/09/14
mackey hats from Wyoming makes some great felt hats.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hats - 11/09/14
Ball caps are a MAJOR cause of skin cancer on the ears and neck. I wear a brim whenever I can. Skin cancer has become epidemic with farmers since seed companies started handing out free caps.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Hats - 08/22/20
For cool weather hunting wear a Stormy Kromer. For winter hunting a Filson crusher hat and For winter activities I wear a wool watch cap. Summers it is a ball cap. Fall fishing it's a wool felt fedora.
© 24hourcampfire