Home
Posted By: SamSteele Headlamp advice - 12/27/14
Hi all. I got two different headlamps for Christmas and I'm trying to decide which I should keep. The first is a Cabelas Alaskan Guide XW (70 lumens and 3 AA batteries) and the second is a Black Diamond Storm (160 lumens and 4 AAA batteries). Both look to be rated about the same in online reviews but I haven't found any side by side comparisons. Anyone have any experience with either?

This will be replacing a Petzl Micro that just couldn't cut it while gutting and skinning a moose in the dark this past October.

SS
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Headlamp advice - 12/28/14
One for the glovebox, and one in the pack?
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Headlamp advice - 12/31/14
I'd go AA in the cold. AA Lithiums last longer, and make CERTAIN your headlamp can use Li batteries, not all can.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Headlamp advice - 02/08/15
Originally Posted by AH64guy
One for the glovebox, and one in the pack?

+1
Posted By: fshaw Re: Headlamp advice - 02/18/15
I don't have any experience with the Cabelas lamp, but I have 3 Black Diamond lamps including the storm. They are all great lamps and I'd definitely buy the storm again. I also had Petzl headlamps prior to Black Diamond. I now use Black Diamond headlamps and my next one will probably be the new 320 lumen Icon. I'm a big Black Diamond fan.
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Headlamp advice - 02/20/15
Went with the Black Diamond Storm. Decided that it was more light output and didn't have the bulky battery pack that hung on the back of your head, so easier to pack. So far it has been pretty great and a definite upgrade from the Petzl Micro.

SS
© 24hourcampfire