Home
Posted By: maddog Squirrel Season...... - 08/14/20
....opens, here in Indiana, tomorrow. I'm loadin' the truck tonight! Gonna be a little hot and muggy, but I'm ready to go to the woods and shoot something. grin
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/14/20
Good luck maddog. Squirrels are a good training for scouting, stalking, and shooting. And they taste good too. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/15/20
Opens Sep. 1st in NY state. I'm itching to get out there this year to also do some scouting for deer season and some general woods loafing. Usually use a .22 but this year it may also be a Benjamin Trail..22 cal. break barrel air gun. It's legal here and I've only got 1 squirrel with it so far. 20-25 yards is my maximum range for the air gun and it's fun just for the challenge of having to be closer.
Opens September 12th here in Alabama. Hope it's a little cooler by then, although early mornings aren't too bad. Afternoon heat and humidity if harsh right now. I was hoping to use my Evanix PCP air rifle some this year but my air tank pressures are too low with no money to service and fill. Might try scraping up enough money for a hand pump, they're getting available again at better prices. Otherwise the Kimber is ready to go and if l want to use a shotgun they are too. Dove season opens before then, but everthing is still tall and green around here, I'd have to drive to Swan Creek WMA and back which is pretty far from where l live.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/16/20
Opens sept. 1st here. Look forward to it every year.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/17/20
It's been open here since Memorial holiday weekend. I fish while it's hot and muggy but I'm seeing lots of squirrels around the various lakes when I'm out. They are starting to hit hickory nuts pretty good right now.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/17/20
I couldn’t go yesterday as I had to work but my boys(11, 15, 19) combined for 6 grays yesterday morning. All boars.
Makes me think the sow’s maybe trying to squeeze in another litter.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/17/20
Got out both Sat. and Sun., no luck. One woods, no squirrels. The others, saw several, but moving too quick. Got one free hand shot at a gray, and......I MISSED! Not unusual for the first shot every year. Weather will be better, starting tomorrow, hoping for a change of luck.
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/18/20
My 13yo and I got 4 on Saturday morning. All out of the same tree. Only saw one other that morning before it got hotter than I cared to hang out in.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633@N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633@N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/18/20
Pointer,
Good for him and you! Like the pics. Looks like you guys had a good morning in the woods.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/19/20
Finally, after 4 days out, I nailed one this am. Only saw 2, but nailed this one. I think my squirrel woods locally don't have the populations this year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/19/20
I think that's a limb chicken !
Posted By: Seafire Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/19/20
The coloration on Fox Squirrels is real pretty...there were a lot of them when I use to live in Minnesota..
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/20/20
Originally Posted by maddog
Finally, after 4 days out, I nailed one this am. Only saw 2, but nailed this one. I think my squirrel woods locally don't have the populations this year.

Nice!! I wish the woods I generally hunt had more fox squirrels and less grays.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/20/20
Popped another limb chicken, this am. Shot at one, and missed, then this booger barked right behind me. Sooo......I turned and headshot him! grin

Posted By: K1500 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/21/20
How long before you early season squirrel hunters skin them out and get them on ice? I imagine a 4 or 5 hour hunt might leave you with some bacterial build up.
Posted By: model70man Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/22/20
I never hunt squirrels in WV until it has frosted a couple of times. A lot of squirrels here are infested with the botfly larvae or "warbles" which are gross to look at and spoil the appetite.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/22/20
Originally Posted by K1500
How long before you early season squirrel hunters skin them out and get them on ice? I imagine a 4 or 5 hour hunt might leave you with some bacterial build up.

I skin them as I kill em and wait for another to show.

Put em in a Ziploc bag in my vest. Usually only hunt a couple hours when it is warm.

I have at times taken a tray of ice and dumped it in the Ziploc that I carry. As it melts I have a little water to wipe my mitts that may be grubby from skinning and gutting.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/22/20
I drove out to my favorite hunting spot yesterday to look at the mast crop and see if I could find any cutting around the hickory trees. First thing I saw was a 4' timber rattlesnake! I left and went to shoot a couple .22 rifles.
Posted By: J23 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/23/20
I was out this morning taking a walk across a new (to me) PHA. Hickory nuts everywhere, and the ground was already littered with acorns, most still green. I'm going to say it is due to the lack of much rain here for the past two months or more. Place looks good, and it's only about 10 minutes from my cabin, I'm excited. Our season opens up September 1st, but I can't get into it until it gets a little cooler, usually around the first week or two of October.

Didn't see much in the way of deer sign though, as I had originally gone to scout it out for a new place to hang a treestand this year.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/24/20
opens here in pa. on september the 12th. First year for an early start. I'm taking my cz then.
Posted By: szihn Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/26/20
Someday before I die I might get to hunt tree squirrels.

I have 2 rifles that would be perfect for it. A CZ 527 Lux with a long barrel and a flintlock I made in 28 caliber, which I hope to get done in the coming year.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/26/20
I bought a four stage hand pump and like to use it to bring my PCP guns back up to my tuned max. It works fast on the Diana Bandit and Marauder pistols. Takes longer on rifles but it is easier to have in the truck than the bottle. It is cheaper than buying a filled tank to be able to hand pump on your own time. Check out the better ones with the moisture absorber. It takes some effort. Works well. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/29/20
Originally Posted by szihn

I have 2 rifles that would be perfect for it. A CZ 527 Lux with a long barrel and a flintlock I made in 28 caliber, which I hope to get done in the coming year.

I have been hunting squirrels lately with a .32 caliber flintlock (one of the Kibler kits out of Ohio) and it has been a hoot! Would love to see your 28 caliber when your done with it - sounds like a fun one!!

PennDog
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/29/20
Finally got out this am, cause it cooled off a little. Went to a buddy's place that had a load of grays. Little boogers were constantly moving thru the trees, and I missed a couple. Finally this one sat still, and I got him with 1 head shot. First gray I've killed in prolly 2 yrs.

Posted By: J23 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/29/20
Originally Posted by szihn

Well come on out east for a few days, plenty to be had!

...just be sure to time it right for some beautiful fall foliage. Usually peaks last week of October/first week of November, though this year I'm not so sure with this drought. Popping a bonus fall hen turkey is always nice too.

I like taking my .32 percussion quite a bit. Its just a Traditions Crockett.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/30/20
Got two this am. both were old, but this geezer had to of had a Social Security card! He was barkin', givin' me a cussing, that's how I found him! grin

Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 08/31/20
Over the years, I've tried different squirrel calls, and had no luck, with any of them, and that's hunting them boogers for over 50 yrs. Well, this am was a first. I was heading for the truck, when I saw one bouncing in the trees, ahead of me. I eased up, and set for a 1/2 hr. looking for him. I decided what the h*ll, and dug out a Mr. Squirrel whistle, that my son bought me for my birthday. I whistled on that ting 3-4 times, and the next thing I know, he's coming down a tree 15 yds. from me, barking his fool head off. I lined up the cross hairs on his noggin, and knocked him right out of the tree. This was an absolute first, in my squirrel hunting career. That call is going with me, from now on.

Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/02/20
I see you have gone to a fancy repeating rifle for the shooting of squacks this year.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/02/20
I still got the good ole single shot, just haven't taken it out yet.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/03/20
Over the years, I've tried different squirrel calls, and had no luck, with any of them, and that's hunting them boogers for over 50 yrs. Well, this am was a first. I was heading for the truck, when I saw one bouncing in the trees, ahead of me. I eased up, and set for a 1/2 hr. looking for him. I decided what the h*ll, and dug out a Mr. Squirrel whistle, that my son bought me for my birthday. I whistled on that ting 3-4 times, and the next thing I know, he's coming down a tree 15 yds. from me, barking his fool head off. I lined up the cross hairs on his noggin, and knocked him right out of the tree. This was an absolute first, in my squirrel hunting career. That call is going with me, from now on.

I have the same whistle as you,, I have had it for over 30 years and don't know where I bought it..I was sitting under an oak tree calling one time. and heard wings beating over my head.. I looked up and a great horned OWL was putting his brakes on about another foot and my Head would been in real trouble... I was wearing a blaze orange hat , so he must of been color blind...I have called foxes ,coyotes , an whistled with it to get groundhogs to sit up in tall grass for a good shot it is the most useful call I ever had...
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/04/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I see you have gone to a fancy repeating rifle for the shooting of squacks this year.

Took the ole single shot for a trip to the woods this am. Saw 3, shot at 2 and nailed this ole girl. I still love this old single shot sportster! grin

Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/05/20
I had to drop in to see how Maddog was doing. Lots of fun to squirrel hunt. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/06/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Took the ole single shot for a trip to the woods this am. Saw 3, shot at 2 and nailed this ole girl. I still love this old single shot sportster! grin

Good work!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/11/20
I had to drop in to see what maddog was doing too...

No season here as the red fox squirrels are considered an invasive specie.

So for the in-town squirrels I will soon be setting up the Squirrel Motel (aka Havahart trap-where squirrels check in but they dont check out...)

They are all over us here in town and just chewed through my internet cable...so I'd best do my duty as a citizen and try to eliminate the threat!

( and stock up on flour and butter....)
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/12/20
This was the first day of squirrel here in pa. I saw a lot of squirrels, but no shots. Too green and thick. I hate to say it, but I should have taken a shotgun. It still would have been tough.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/13/20
I have one of those too. Puts the fun back into squirrel hunting. At muzzleloader speeds it doesn't read up much meAt either.I put a peep sight on mine as my aged eyes just can't make out the open U rear sight.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/16/20
The boy finally got home for a hunt[his first this year, because of work]. He managed to get 2, and I finally got one. They were barking and running everywhere, but the canopy was so thick, it was tough getting a shot with a rifle.

Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/16/20
Wonderful hunting and good eats afterward. If I get them I am going to cook them in the smoker this year. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/19/20
Got out this AM, and head shot me a nice young female. Beautiful, but chilly morning in the woods.

Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/20/20
The Ozark timber is full of squirrels right now. This is the first weekend of archery deer season and I sat in a treestand on public land this morning and watched dozens of squirrels doing squirrel business all morning long.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/21/20
I got another black grey squirrel this afternoon. Got one about this time last year. Before that it had been probably 10 years since the last one. They are quite rare around here. Beautiful afternoon to be out squirrel hunting today. Was sunny and 59 degrees when I left at 4 pm.. Got 3 total. Two greys and the black.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/23/20
Well, the boy and I went yesterday. He almost nailed a limit, and I saw several, but couldn't get a shot[old age, poor eyes, etc., yadda yadda yadda ] grin

Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/23/20
Well, the boy and I went yesterday. He almost nailed a limit, and I saw several, but couldn't get a shot[old age, poor eyes, etc., yadda yadda yadda ] grin

What is a limit there? It's 10 in Missouri.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 09/24/20
5 in Indiana.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/04/20
My son and I got out for another hunt, this last week. Nailed 4[he got 3, me 1]. Mine was up a very tall oak, next to a creek. I shot and heard the hit. It fell straight into the creek. You've heard that saying "looked like a drowned rat"? Well, here she is.....grin

Posted By: K22 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/04/20
My son and I got out for another hunt, this last week. Nailed 4[he got 3, me 1]. Mine was up a very tall oak, next to a creek. I shot and heard the hit. It fell straight into the creek. You've heard that saying "looked like a drowned rat"? Well, here she is.....grin

Great job Maddog. I like washing mine off before I skin too. Do you use a blow dryer afterwards? grin
Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/04/20
A good thorough dunk before skinning keeps the hair off the meat when you peel the hide. I always take my squirrels to a creek, river or lake to do that chore.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
A good thorough dunk before skinning keeps the hair off the meat when you peel the hide. I always take my squirrels to a creek, river or lake to do that chore.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to give that a try especially since I always skin and clean my squirrels in the field anyway rather than wait till I get home.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/06/20
It works wonders. Get the squirrel good and soaked, cut the base of the tail, step on it and pull up on the hind legs, grab the belly tab of hide and pull up - there ya go, skinned. And it will be clean and hairless. I use game shears to snip the head and feet off and separate the squirrel into four quarters and the saddle. Essentially ready for the pan in a couple short minutes. And no mess at home to deal with.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/06/20
Limit is 12 here in AR. They are really moving good right now. I need to go haven't had squirrel and gravy in a while.
Posted By: DBrink Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/06/20
Learned from my Dad many years ago to wet skin them. Haven't seen many do it that way over the years but as stated it sure keeps the loose hair down and just makes a cleaner product to introduce to some flour, salt and pepper, and good hot grease.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/06/20
Mo season started each year on Memorial Day weekend. As far back as I can remember. I can't remember what I went to another room for but I can remember hunting squirrels in the late 60's and 70's. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Mo season started each year on Memorial Day weekend. As far back as I can remember. I can't remember what I went to another room for but I can remember hunting squirrels in the late 60's and 70's. Be Well, RZ.

So then you could shoot them all summer long if you could stand the heat and bugs?

Long time ago when I went to college back east squirrel always started in the fall....
Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/07/20
Ingwe,
Missouri squirrel season runs from the Saturday of Memorial Weekend until February 15 of the next year. Been that way as long as I can remember and I've been hunting them for 52 years. Ten squirrels per day, twenty in possession is the limit. The limit was raised from six to ten per day several years back.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/07/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
Ingwe,
Missouri squirrel season runs from the Saturday of Memorial Weekend until February 15 of the next year. Been that way as long as I can remember and I've been hunting them for 52 years. Ten squirrels per day, twenty in possession is the limit. The limit was raised from six to ten per day several years back.

Wow! I wouldn't get anything else done if I lived there!
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/07/20
you know u have an open invitation to come back. their thick around my deer stands this year
Posted By: ingwe Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/07/20
Originally Posted by rockchucker
you know u have an open invitation to come back. their thick around my deer stands this year

If I do it would be later in the year when there are no leaves left! Also I wouldn't allow a squirrel within 20 feet of me...seems I can't hit them when they are that close!

But thanks Bobby!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/08/20

My Dad made those calls. Congrats on your success!
Got one late afternoon:
Posted By: 65BR Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/14/20
Nice knife, who made it?
Russ Easler. I really like a small drop point.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/15/20
Thanks, and yes I agree.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/26/20
My game bag runneth over...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/28/20
Couple limb runners-

Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/28/20
A few more, they are hammering the pin oaks now.

Same trip as above. Better pic, I brought the 308 in case the hogs showed up.

Posted By: blindshooter Re: Squirrel Season...... - 10/31/20
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

SCGnut, nice haul!
Did you do that stock? I've looked at that pic over the last few days and every time that laminate shape and color grows on me.
I have a early 70's Deluxe sporter with a nice factory stock and I've thought about taking it off and stashing it, replacing it with something like I see here. Looks like a schable tip? Hard to tell in the pics.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 11/01/20
This morning’s loop thru the woods. I forgot to snap a pic before I hosed them down for skinning. For those who don’t know, if your squirrel is wet hair doesn’t get all over everything.

Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Squirrel Season...... - 11/01/20
Originally Posted by gunnut308
This morning’s loop thru the woods. I forgot to snap a pic before I hosed them down for skinning. For those who don’t know, if your squirrel is wet hair doesn’t get all over everything.

Nice!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Squirrel Season...... - 11/02/20
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

SCGnut, nice haul!
Did you do that stock? I've looked at that pic over the last few days and every time that laminate shape and color grows on me.
I have a early 70's Deluxe sporter with a nice factory stock and I've thought about taking it off and stashing it, replacing it with something like I see here. Looks like a schable tip? Hard to tell in the pics.

No, this was one of those limited edition runs that they called the "Bengal Tiger". I call it my Clemson gun.

[Linked Image from palmettostatearmory.com]
Got these around 4 PM this afternoon with the Grulla 209E SxS. Skinned, gutted and cut up with the Browning Model 720 knife.
Nailed one with the Kimber Hunter 22 this afternoon. Went old school with the knife this time, a Queen #74.
Posted By: K22 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Nailed one with the Kimber Hunter 22 this afternoon. Went old school with the knife this time, a Queen #74.

Awesome photo.
2 of my favorites, Kimber 22lr. and a Queen knife.
Four from earlier today with the Kimber 22. Not the greatest picture, forgot both of the cameras and left them at home so had to make do with the phone cam.
Posted By: maddog Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/11/20
Finally got out yesterday for a hunt. It was a beautiful day. Only saw 2, but I nailed this ole girl,

She was a well furred big ole girl, so I decided for a Christmas present to me, I'm having the big ole girl mounted! Haven't had any taxidermy work done, since Africa, almost a decade ago. Gonna hang her in the office, next to my Cape Buff horns! grin
Couple more I bagged Friday afternoon from my little section of woods.
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/14/20
Finally took the T1X for a walk. Hit a piece of NF I've not been to and stumbled into some. I'm digging the rifle for late season squirrels. RIfle is more accurate than I deserve and that's with cheap ammo.

Posted By: 65BR Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/14/20
Nice - how long is the barrel on the T1X there and what is the scope? Nice pics by all.

Been dropping some Red 'Fox' Squirrels this season (42 so far)......various 22s. Took 4 the other day with a Browning SA-22, breaking it in, open sights. I did use 5 shots......having missed the first shot on the last one......hit the limb.

Lots of fun, used a pressure cooker and deboned about 5 to make a Gumbo, and the same the other day to make Chili. Diced that up real fine for the last. Pressure cooker sure works fast on the tough Fox squirrels. Falls off the bone......
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/15/20
I think this is the 16" barrel. Scope is a SWFA 3-9. All in all I like the package. I am considering switching out the scope for a SWFA 6X sole for the side focus. That said, with the accuracy of the rifle, even with cheap ammo, and the tracking of the scope one can effectively steer the bullets where you want them. Here are two 10shot groups shot the first time I had the rifle out. These were shot at about 30yds and just using the gun case as a rest.

Posted By: 65BR Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/15/20
I've see reports, and I must say:

Impressive - Compelling!
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/16/20

Got the freezer full of venison and decided to have some fun.

Heard a bunch calling on the slope up from the creekbed. Snuck up there. Everything goes quiet. Then comes one sneaking down an oak. Clean in the head. 1 for 1.

Kept still. And sure enough, 10 mins later, here comes his buddy, pops out and starts hollering, wondering wtf? 2 for 2.

Kept still. And 15 mins later, here comes their side kick. Pops out starts running around and hollering, wondering where'd they go? 3 for 3.

Some times it works out tasty.

Have a good winter, everybody.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/16/20
I used to hunt the mulberry trees around June the 12 to the 15th here in the state of Misery. They run around in the tree like they are drunk. Shoot one but don't get up and go get them. The others get back out in maybe a couple of minutes. Later in the year I find an oak they are working the acorns hard. Same thing shoot one from a few tree trunks away and keep still. Don't get up. Just keep sniping away. Concealment and control your movements. Those food sources catch them every time. I don't like to see folks walk around shooting nests. You don't always get the ones shot. Had friends that were taught that method by their mentors. Probably all you guys know all these tricks. Preaching to the choir. It's like deer hunting. Find the food source and you can find an ambush position for the game at hand. Be Well, RustyZipper.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/16/20
Shooting nest is illegal in Missouri. Beyond that it's stupid.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/16/20
[quote=Ella]

Got the freezer full of venison and decided to have some fun.

Heard a bunch calling on the slope up from the creekbed. Snuck up there. Everything goes quiet. Then comes one sneaking down an oak. Clean in the head. 1 for 1.

Kept still. And sure enough, 10 mins later, here comes his buddy, pops out and starts hollering, wondering wtf? 2 for 2.

Kept still. And 15 mins later, here comes their side kick. Pops out starts running around and hollering, wondering where'd they go? 3 for 3.

Some times it works out tasty.

Tell us about the stock on that 10/22. Is that an aftermarket barrel?

Thanks, RS
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 12/16/20

I've had that stock on there for more than a decade. Might have been a Fajen? Bedded up through the 1st inch of barrel. Needs repainting.

Barrel is factory but rechambered and recrowned by a guy on rimfire central, Cameron Dearborn, I think was his name. Trigger was a collaboration between him and Brimstone.

Puts Wolf Match into one hole, and CCI minimags into dime sized groups. Perfect for a lefty squirrel hunter, like me.
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/11/21

Got to the woods late this morning, around 9, and hiked and did 15-minute sits for a couple of hours in some hickory and oak groves that have usually been pretty good. No squirrels, though I found where I’m going for turkey this spring.

Decided to try one last spot, and hit three with four shots without having to move. Soon as one went down, another started hollering. I did spent a while glassing a big oak for the last one. He was calling the whole time, but I couldn’t get my eyes on him. Finally, saw him in a smaller tree 20 feet lower and much closer than I’d thought. Messed up the shot and lost the front end after hitting a shoulder.

Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/12/21
Got out a few more times. Shooting wasn't as good as it should have been on a couple, but did find a few. The one by itself was taken on a very windy day on a new piece of ground and was the only one I saw that day. Need to head back on a calmer day as I saw more sign than 1 squirrel can produce.

Now to find a fox squirrel...
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/16/21

Used to be fox squirrels around here, 3 or 5 years ago. The racoon pattern kind. For a couple of seasons, there was one big black one I was trying to shoot but never got.

Lately, there are just grays.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/16/21
Weather permitting I'm going next saturday
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/18/21

They were waaay up in the tree tops this morning doing aerial acrobatics. Went 3-7, with two nice long headshots and botched close up shot. I always seem to mess up the easy ones.

Spent about 20 minutes trying to get a 4th that I couldn't tell was a squirrel at first. Just a little patch of fur that looked like moss even through the binoculars...until it shifted. That wiley one got away, just couldn't get a clear shot.

Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/24/21

Hit the woods around 2 pm with my buddy and his son. They were noisy, so we split up. Sunny day, went 3-3 to start and was feeling good. Finished 4-8, but couldn’t recover one. Headshot, it flopped into the creek. Anybody else getting out?

https://imgur.com/QuiABDp
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/25/21
Nicely done! Hoping to get out one more time before the season closes at the end of the month.
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/26/21

We have until March 1.

For [bleep] and giggles tried an experiment and am trying to figure if his inability to sneak is offset by his willingness to go get.

Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/26/21
We have been getting out about once every two weeks since season started. My boy has been using a .22 with open sights. I've been sticking to an old Remington Model 11, in 16 gauge. We found a honey hole that produces each time we hunt there. Must be an intersection that the squirrels in the area have in common. Of course, my boy likes to hog that spot! laugh Of course I let him! Need to put a few more in the freezer in before season ends in late February. I hope everyone is having a great season!!!
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/26/21
Originally Posted by Ella

We have until March 1.

For [bleep] and giggles tried an experiment and am trying to figure if his inability to sneak is offset by his willingness to go get.

Hank the dog, a pointing breed, is driven crazy by the squirrels in the yard. Pretty sure he would put them up a tree and bring the shot ones back. May need to give it a try on Saturday...
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 01/29/21

Let us know how it goes w. Hank.

I've never hunted with a trained squirrel dog. Mostly rabbits with beagles and wood cock and pheasant with other folks' bird dogs.

Tater tries hard but he's a goof. My fishing catch has dropped a bunch since his ass started tagging along.
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 02/02/21
Didn't make it out. Weather and house hold "stuff" got in the way. Will definitely give it a try next year. Pretty positive he'd retrieve them for me as he's done that for rabbits I've shot while bird hunting with him.

I think a dedicated squirrel dog would be a hoot to have a round! Just not sure my wife would agree to the breeds that are used for that.
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 02/06/21

I've been thinking of picking up another pup. This site has me thinking about training a squirrel dog.
Posted By: pointer Re: Squirrel Season...... - 02/08/21
Look up Clay Newcomb and/or Kevin Murphy episodes of meat eater. They'll have you really wanting to scratch a check for a squirrel dog!
My latest shots
Posted By: K22 Re: Squirrel Season...... - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
My latest shots

And once again Phillip, outstanding photo's. And outstanding knives.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Squirrel Season...... - 02/13/21
As to shotguns I hate to spit out shot when eating them. I found a little bit greater challenge and less cost per shot with the 22.For that purpose I have bought some 500 packs of SGBs and several cartons of boxes of Federal Auto Match. They seem to shoot well from most of my semi 22s as well. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel Season...... - 02/13/21
I agree RZ, but my shotguns are a Mossberg and a H&R. Philip's got to take that one out hunting from time to time. As always, Philip, you've got nice small game tools.
I hunt with my Kimber 22 most of the time. Ever now and then I get the urge to drag out some other guns and use them a bit. Made a couple of short hunts recently with an Evanix PCP air rifle, but no luck finding any squirrels while carying it. I want to get at least one with the pcp but the season is winding down.

I loaded #5's for my squirrel shells, 1 ounce of 5's, Claybuster AA12 wad, American Select powder, I think the velocity of this load is 1150fps. Shot usually always penetrates completely through, rarely any in the meat.

That squirrel with just the knife was shot from about 60 yards; only an entrance wound, no exit, and I thought for sure that I would recover the bullet to see what it looked like, but no luck. It struck in the neck and then travelled lengthwise in the body. Made a messy skin and gut job. I didn't see the bullet in the guts but didn't dig through them much searching. By the time l got out of the woods it was so dark that I just stuck the knife beside the squirrel on my vest figuring there wasn't any way that a decent gun photo was possible.
© 24hourcampfire