Home
Question says it all - I’m researching the 39A but could really use a few tips. What should I be looking for? I’d prefer a short or takedown version if it exists.
They all takedown, that's what that knurled large screw does on the right side of the receiver. As for short, look for a 39M. And you can research the difference between 39A and 39M.
All of the models are a take down. The Mounty model would be your Best Buy.
Don't be afraid of the newer 39a with the safety. It cost me only a few bucks to have a gunsmith take the trigger from 7.5# to 3.5#. Shoots minute of squirrel.

The 20" Mountie is where it's at...I personally like the late 70's mfg

They just handle well & feel good---X/bolt safety is post 1983 ish

As mentioned....loosen thumb screw....hammer at half cock....tap end of barrel on padded surface

Comes right apart in two pieces...lock ejector down with a 1/4 turn of screw for easy bore cleaning

Pic is a 1978 mfg date.....great rifles....

I have a 1970 CL (Century Limited) I'm thinking about selling---20" octagon barrel....just thinking--- crazy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I believe the 39 TDS is the smallest configuration of them all. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Originally Posted by limabean
I believe the 39 TDS is the smallest configuration of them all. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

You are right. The 39 TDS is like a Mountie, but with a 4 inch shorter barrel.

Bruce

Huh I thought they only made 3,000 of them with the serial number that begins in “T”... and that would be up there, but who knows.
PintsofCraft: I have a mint perfect, new, un-fired, Marlin Model 39 TDS in the factory pouch - and it IS the "smallest" Marlin 39 that I am aware of.
It has a 16 1/4" barrel and takes down and fits in a very short and snug factory gunrug type pouch.
These are PRICEY nowadays so maybe these will fit into your "desirable version" category as well?
Good luck in your search.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Here's a couple

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...model-39-mountie-22.cfm?gun_id=101677323

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...m-22lr-r30359-quot-.cfm?gun_id=101727886
L have 3 of them, a mountie, 39a from 68 and one from 48, all are tackdrivers, 48 has the best trigger but no scope so my 68 is my go to. rhe winchester 9422 has a 20 inch barrel but they tend to run more exspensive then marlins,I perfer my 39s over my 9422.
The carbine version from the 1970's IIRC is quite desirable.
I had a Mountie from 1971 nice gun , heavy trigger. Sold it at a profit. Found a 39A from 1956 bought it ,3x the rifle that the mountie was still have it. Mb
There's also the 39 D. Think Mountie with a pistol grip.
39 TDS, I’d love one!
© 24hourcampfire