Home
Posted By: Stihl27 Small game - 05/29/21
What’s everyone’s favorite small game? So far ruff grouse is mine, having a hard time figuring out how to cook rabbit
Posted By: Windknot Re: Small game - 05/29/21
Squirrel hunting = small critter but big game!
Posted By: Robster Re: Small game - 05/30/21
Snowshoe hare followed by cottontail with my pack of beagles. Rarely ever shoot one, just like the music of the hounds.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Small game - 05/30/21
Squirrels
Posted By: Jericho Re: Small game - 05/31/21
hunting grey squirrels with a 22 rifle in PENN.....ahhh to be young again
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Small game - 06/02/21
Squirrels, when they are working on walnuts or hickory
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Small game - 06/02/21
Squirrels

Right now, very young and best eating.
Posted By: Limer18 Re: Small game - 06/03/21
Squirrels. They are delicious smoked. Then again so are cotton tails.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Small game - 06/03/21
Like to hunt them all. For eating, grouse is the best around here, if you can find any. Rabbit is the best rodent.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Small game - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Like to hunt them all. For eating, grouse is the best around here, if you can find any. Rabbit is the best rodent.
I'll take cottontail over grouse any day ending in "Y". Grouse are actually well down on my list of favored eating. Never been crazy about "white meat" from any bird.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Small game - 06/03/21

Cotton Tail, no doubt,fun to hunt and great eating. Rio7
Posted By: maddog Re: Small game - 06/06/21
Limb Chickens, hands down my favorite! grin
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Small game - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by Windknot
Squirrel hunting = small critter but big game!

I've tried and tried to get other folks interested in hunting fox squirrels. but nobody seems to think that shooting tree rats is worth the time and effort. I think that it is the perfect way to practice for still-hunting whitetails on edge and in cover.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Small game - 06/19/21
I hear that. I am always bumping whitetails out of bed while squirrel hunting. Come November, I just swap the 39a for the 99F and carry a bigger knife.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Small game - 06/24/21
Squirrels
Turkey
Are you including waterfowl?
Posted By: Hubert Re: Small game - 06/24/21
I saw a solid black squirrel in the small park where I feed and play with the squirrels... But the most unusual one was a grey squirrel with a solid reddish tail... looked to have been bleached then dyed to match a punks hair color.. my camera is broke as soon as I can get it working I will try to get some pictures... Is someone trying to fool with me do you think?
Posted By: Pittu Re: Small game - 06/24/21
Those are color phases of a grey squirrel. I remember shooting a couple of blacks as a kid thinking I’d get top dollar from Mepps for them.....I was disappointed to find out they were worth the same as the others.

Sure do miss squirrel hunting with my pa back in the UP. Those were good times. I shoot a lot of red squirrels here in Alaska, but that is just because they are destructive little schits....
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Small game - 07/25/21
Ruffed grouse! When I lived in Arizona it was Mearn’s quail
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Small game - 07/27/21
A rabbit, to me, is great in front of the gun & on the plate. My little Beagle agrees & we stay in hunting shape most of the Winter. Small game is where it’s at
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Small game - 08/14/21
Bunnies with a 28ga
© 24hourcampfire