Home
anyone here hunt tree rats with a black powder shotgun? whats ur gun and load?
I don't anymore, I did back in the 1990's. Had a Dixie Gun Works 12 gauge percussion SxS. I loaded a volume equivalent load, 1-1/4 ounces of 6's and I think the same volume of powder was right at 80 grains or 3 drams. I had a powder flask that threw 3 to 3-1/2 drams, if I was feeling sporty I would shoot 3-1/2. Best patterns were with two 1/8" hard cards over the powder, no "cushion" fiber wad. I tried plastic wads, just weren't any fun using them in a 19th century replica gun. Sold that gun along some others during financial problems. Wish I hadn't. Interesting to use except for the cleanup.
Not yet, but I'm about to.

I've got a brand new Brown Bess that can throw a reasonably tight pattern of #6.

#2 son Moose, just acquired a flintlock .32 Tennessee Mountain Rifle. We're planning a father/son flintlock squirrel hunt this year.
That’s cool.

Post some pics
Did this awhile back for a WC Scott 12 w/Damascus barrels.

Worked out fine.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Full story here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14992931/1/quandry-cure
I ended up getting these with my 20 bore Virginia smooth rifle (Top flinter) a while back while hunting with son and grandson. Using volume for volume powder shot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I ended up getting these with my 20 bore Virginia smooth rifle (Top flinter) a while back while hunting with son and grandson. Using volume for volume powder shot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for sharing. Those are beautiful, especially the Virginia smooth rifle.
I had a blast messing around with BP in an H&R Topper for a few years.
Made a chamber plug and shot it as a muzzle loader and also loaded BP shot shells for it.
Took a lot of squirrels and a few rabbits and partridge as well.
BP seemed to give up nothing in range or knock down power. Recoil was a nice push.
The modified choke with a shotcup threw real nice patterns both SS and ML.
Equal volumes of shot and powder was the load formula. 1 1/4 oz of shot IIRC.
For a while I used a percussion double barrel 12 gauge. It did best with powder, nitro card, fiber wad lubed with 1000+, shotcup, then another nitro card to hold the shot in place
© 24hourcampfire