Home
Posted By: robinhedd Wild pheasant hunt - 12/04/21
My dad and I are wanting to go on a wild pheasant hunt, we live in North Alabama and have never been. Im wondering if anyone on here would be willing to share some good walk in areas with me? Maybe Kansas? We don’t have a dog, maybe someone on the Campfire does, and would be willing to let us tag along? PM me please, thanks Robinhedd
Posted By: Sharpshooter97 Re: Wild pheasant hunt - 12/10/21
North Dakota has some really good hunting on some of the PLOTS Land (Private land open to sportsmen) as well as the WPA's. Having a dog certainly helps but you can flush plenty of birds just walking the right areas just be able to not shoot if they are over tall cover as they are tough to find in the thick stuff. Wounded pheasants are known to be runners. Good luck
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Wild pheasant hunt - 12/10/21
People come here to SD all the time and try it, I don't recommend it but they do. Many hunting operations to choose from. If you're going to take all that time and effort, make sure you have a good trip.
Posted By: battue Re: Wild pheasant hunt - 12/10/21
Originally Posted by BKinSD
People come here to SD all the time and try it, I don't recommend it but they do. Many hunting operations to choose from. If you're going to take all that time and effort, make sure you have a good trip.

Without a Dog and perhaps not familiar with the learning curve of getting into Wild Birds,,,,combined with a 30 hour drive, a hunting operation is a wise suggestion. It gets into the blood and you will most likely be back.... if you start out with a great experience.

The good walk in areas are often in fluctuation....depending on the crops that are being rotated around them. What is great this year may not be so the next.

Posted By: battue Re: Wild pheasant hunt - 12/10/21
Or call the Game Commission or local Chamber of Commerce and see about hiring a local guide...
Posted By: RayF Re: Wild pheasant hunt - 12/16/21
I hunted my first pheasant 38 years ago. Here’s my humble opinion: Go with a a guided dog. Yes, it can be done without, but the benefits of a good dog can’t be overstated.
© 24hourcampfire