Home
So, gents...

like to see some pix of your favorite squirrel rifles, and info on what they are scoped with, favorite ammo...etc.

If you have more than one, thats fine too....in springtime when the mulberry trees are getting hit, i like a good 22 with subsonics. later on, start packing a 17M2 more, and finish up with the HMR usually, though i dont use it nearly as much as the mach2.

show em off. smile

Gerald

the 22, topped with a 4-12x leupy, and usually some kind of subsonics.
[Linked Image]

favorite mach2, glass is a weaver V16, and it likes eley
[Linked Image]

now & then i smoke them too...me & a buddy used identical TC Cherokees to smoke these, this was back several years ago.
used hornady .310 roundballs over 15gr Pyrodex P.

[Linked Image]
Favorite is the Marlin 880SQ.

Nice shooters ya got there.
I havent hunted squirrels in a few years and I actually
like it more than deer hunting. I have been thinking about
a 17HM2 for awhile, but I think I will settle on a 17HMR.
Either a Marlin or Savage bolt action w/heavy barrel.
Posted By: AJD Re: Your favorite squirrel rifle.. - 03/08/10
Nice shooting and nice rifles. Right now my fav is a Ruger 77/22. Squirrel hunting is a lot of fun.
Kimber Hunter .22 LR with a Burris 3x9 Compact scope. Ammo- WMT.
Posted By: AJD Re: Your favorite squirrel rifle.. - 03/08/10
It ain't a squirrel, but I do like this rifle.

[Linked Image]

It works pretty good on squirrles too.

[Linked Image]
I have a number of Squirrel Rifles but my favorite is my Anshutz in 17 HMR
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have two favorites; this year I hunted mostly with a PCP air rifle, an Evanix AR6 Renegade; 22 caliber, shoots 28.5 grain Korean Eun Jin pellets at 835-840 fps for 44 ft lbs of muzzle energy. For my favorite .22 long rifle rimfire, I have a Kimber Hunter 22. I enjoyed using the air rifle so much this last season that I all but ignored my rimfires.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
screen name should give you a hint GRIN!
I take turns. Use a 1966 Rem 512X with a weaver 3x6 when I want to have a scope. This last year though I carried my (approx.)1939 Win model 72 with irons the most.
A Marlin 39A, circa 1974. It's been thru 3 scopes. Currently has a 2x7 simmons. I've always shot winchester wildcats thru it, and have probably dusted over 500 squirrels with the ole girl.

maddog
Model 63 Winchester. Open sights ( while I still can ). It is a pleasure to carry.
I use a Belgium Browning LH T-Bolt, 22Lr wearing a little 4x Redfield.
I may have just acquired mine. It's CZ Youth rifle. It was given to me by my father so that I could teach my youngest daughter how to shoot. I put a 4x scope on it, and since it will chamber CB shorts unlike my semi-auto, it just may become my favorite small game rifle if it shoots the shorts well at all.
.32 cal black powder flintlock rifle. Just love that Blackpowder smell when I am out doors. Peashootejoe
I do love to squirrel hunt!

How about a 1937 Sedgely Hornet using 8gr. 4759 and a 40 gr. Sierra (2200 fps)

[Linked Image]

From an article I wrote for a local publication:

A 1892 Winchester in .25-20 using 10gr RL 7 and a 86gr cast bullet--note the Michigan Black Squirrel tails
(top)

Or a High Standard using 40 gr. Aguila Standard Velocity ammo (bottom)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJD Re: Your favorite squirrel rifle.. - 04/13/10
Huntra you do have some nice firearms.
Thank you!
Originally Posted by PeashooterJoe
.32 cal black powder flintlock rifle. Just love that Blackpowder smell when I am out doors. Peashootejoe

Welcome!

I think this is cool. Do you have pictures of your rifle? How many grains of powder do you use?
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
now & then i smoke them too...me & a buddy used identical TC Cherokees to smoke these, this was back several years ago.
used hornady .310 roundballs over 15gr Pyrodex P.

[Linked Image]

Looks like y'all had a great day!
HS,
I have hunted squirrels with a 22LR, 22Mag, 22 Hornet,
222 Rem, and a 357 Magnum rifle. I owned a .25-20 for
a little while but never had a chance to use it. Would
be a pleasure to hit the squirrels woods with you sir!
The .25-20 will tear a pretty good sized hole in a squirrel. I try to shoot them in the head, but sometimes when they run, I don't lead them enough and they go a bit too far back. That's one reason you see tails, cause the carcasses were a bit too mangled for pictures!

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't easily plug a 100 lb. whitetail with a .25-20, though. Center them in the lungs at 50 yards and its enough bullet and enough gun.
My Remington Model 12, built in about 1916.

Backup -- Ruger Mark II with a target barrel, circa 1990.

Sako Quad I like the 17M2 for squirrels
Originally Posted by pmeisel
My Remington Model 12, built in about 1916.

Backup -- Ruger Mark II with a target barrel, circa 1990.

Love to see a pic of your Remington.
I don't have any pics but the two in my arsenal that get a workout are a Remington Model 591 in the 5mm Rem. Mag. The second is a Savage in the camo stock and scope in .17Hornady. The Remington is a little more my favorite since I bought it many years ago and used it to hunt squirrels back in the ealry years. With the re-introduction of the ammo, it is back in the woods again.
Awesome! I've never shot a 5mm, but would love to. If you have a digital camera, take some pics and I would be happy to post them for you, or anyone else. Just PM me and I can help.
I had a 5mm years ago, fun to shoot, not super accurate but as good as a .22 mag I guess
BRNO bolt action 22. Drives tacks and light as a feather.
I used to use a 541-T till the barrel came loose. Switched to a Kimber Hunter last year and absolutely love it. Killed somewhere over 100 squirrels with it. I also use a CZ452 in 17 Mach 2 when the leaves drop and distance is extended. Many good rifles out there. A friend of mine has a Savage that is pretty hard to not like for a lot less money.

CK
I have a 5mm also but don't use it for squirrels, just woodchucks and such. For squirrels I use a Marlin 39A with a 3x9 Bushnell on it. I love that gun!!
When I hunted them, it was my Kodiak 22 mag. I'm either too old, or disinterested.
Sako Quad .22lr. I'd like to pick up a .17M2 barrel shortly. Anyone have a spare? PM me plz.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I cant/wont have just 1 fav 22. Im a 22 slut...........

Kimber Super America
[Linked Image]

CZ452
[Linked Image]

Winny 62A
[Linked Image]

Remington 512X
[IMG]
[Linked Image]

Remington 552
[Linked Image]

10/22
[Linked Image]

Winny 61
[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/passport3006/Picture-1.jpg[/img]

I LOVE 22's.
John, WoW, that Kimber is GORGEOUS. Very nice.
Superseal110 wake up! Those aren't really john's guns man - he took those pics from around here on this site. All john owns is a mossberg .22 (and he lost the clip at that) and some ol NEF break action in 410.

HI JOHN - grin's
Ya got me Doug............
9422 best of the best
Passport--very nice!
PassPort can i use pic of Kimber for my Screen Saver?
Originally Posted by passport
I cant/wont have just 1 fav 22. Im a 22 slut...........
I LOVE 22's.

same here, always room for another good squirrel rifle. i fell hard for the .17's too, but in any caliber, a good rimfire in the woods makes a great day even better.

contender carbines in 17Aguila & 17M2
[Linked Image]

Cooper LVT's in 17M2 and 17HMR
[Linked Image]

CZ452 american in .17HMR
[Linked Image]

CZ452 varmint in 17M2
[Linked Image]

Nice stuff there FyrepowrX!! Im not only a 22 slut but a lumber whore too.
FyrepowrX..

You Suck! laugh

I cant even post pics of my poor decrepit looking Ruger 77s now..... frown

wink

Nice stuff!!

Ingwe
Originally Posted by passport
Nice stuff there FyrepowrX!! Im not only a 22 slut but a lumber whore too.

ditto...my inner termite keeps me prowling for timber, and it is a thirst that cant be quenched. been lucky on the CZ's, scrounged up a few others too that have wood way beyond typical.

ingwe, i like the 77/22's too, got 3 boat paddle guns meself, a pair of stainless in 22LR & 22Mag, and a blued HMR. kinda nice to just lash those the the 4 wheeler & not worry about scratching anything, and they get used as much as the eye-candy ones. the 22LR wouldnt shoot worth a chitt though, re-barreled it with a 16" fluted green mountain tube but havent shot it much since then. taking it out this weekend for some more serious tests.

My two main rimfires are both Ruger 77/22 and 77/17 in VBBZ, both wearing Burris 3x9 BPs...
Plain, utility working guns...but accurate as all get out.And Durable..
My "squirrel" shooting consists of ground squirrels out here, infestations can be quite "good" and 1,000 rounds per day through either rifle are not uncommon...
The rugers have been doing it without a bobble for years..but they are sure plain to look at... frown

Ingwe
A Remington 541-S that I bought back in about '78. It loves Remington's subsonic HP, CCI's SGB, Green Tag or Std velocity load.
Yall may have prettier wood than I have but my Bronco has better looking pot metal than yall have.
cant bring myself to scope this one, just feels to good with irons. Its a Grade II in .22 short. never shot it much at longer range but at 25 yards even with my lousy eyeballs it'll headpunch squirrels easily.

used it with CCI .22short HP's a couple years ago to sit under a mulberry tree in a creekbottom on opening day(mid may here) and busted 3 fox squirrels & 1 gray.

[Linked Image]
This one hase been killin' squirrels since the 30's.
Winchester 60A Target
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe
My two main rimfires are both Ruger 77/22 and 77/17 in VBBZ, both wearing Burris 3x9 BPs...
Plain, utility working guns...but accurate as all get out.And Durable..
My "squirrel" shooting consists of ground squirrels out here, infestations can be quite "good" and 1,000 rounds per day through either rifle are not uncommon...
The rugers have been doing it without a bobble for years..but they are sure plain to look at... frown

Ingwe

Yeah Ingwe..

I'm in the same boat you are...Couple of Rugers, a CZ 452, and a pair of NEFs for rimfires.. Own 3 heavy barrel 10/22s for Seafire Jr and some of his friends to use..

Also a couple of Marlin Rimfires in 22 Mag and 17 HMR...
They are all as accurate as any of the rimfires as shown above....

but some of you boys have rigs that are just plain gorgeous!
makes my rigs look like trailer trash...

Going over to Klamath today to shoot squirrels with a buddy who has never shot them before.. I think he will be taking a dozen rifles or so...he is like a 10 yr old ready to go, even tho he is 63...

Myself, I am taking a 223, and a Model 94/22..between the two they will probably go thru 500 to 700 rounds today..

I've retired it, but for squirrel hunting when I lived in MN, I had a very old Savage 24 with a 22 on top ( that my grandfather actually shot out!) and a 410 on the bottom...

That 410 was the 'easiest' thing to hunt squirrels with on the planet. Unlike Oregon, 410 shells were dirt cheap in MN.
that little shot gun throws out a pattern about the size of a garbage can lid at about 30 yds...

you could nail a squirrel with a 'hip shot' from that shotgun anywhere within 50 yds...and using light 410 loads, it never seemed to penetrate the meat at all..

squirrel and wildrice made a pretty tasty meal...

17 HM2s:

Ruger 10/22 conversion with GM 96/22 barrels retrofitted, mounted with a Weaver RV7 2-7x28 in Warne rings.

Savage Mark II BVSS mounted with a Pentex Gameseeker 4-12x40 in Warne rings.

Jeff

I have a 77/22 All Weather that has accounted for many a crock pot of squirrel. I don't get to hunt them much anymore but it is my favorite hunting hands down.

As for eating it is: Squirrel, Dove Wraps, Catfish...in that order.
I like my 22 lr rim fires and my 32 and 36 caliber muzzle loaders. I like the muzzle loaders as you can load them down or up as the shot requires and there is more of challenge.
cant bring myself to scope this one, just feels to good with irons. Its a Grade II in .22 short. never shot it much at longer range but at 25 yards even with my lousy eyeballs it'll headpunch squirrels easily.

used it with CCI .22short HP's a couple years ago to sit under a mulberry tree in a creekbottom on opening day(mid may here) and busted 3 fox squirrels & 1 gray.

[Linked Image]

Very pretty!
Remington 541T with a Burris 3X-9X-32mm Compact scope in Burris steel mounts.
Originally Posted by cdi23
This one hase been killin' squirrels since the 30's.
Winchester 60A Target
[Linked Image]

I have exactly the same one, and yeah, it's about perfect for taking squirrels; has been for a LONG time.
[Linked Image]

Here is something retro, a Mossberg single shot Model 25. I have other rifle choices when out in squirrel habitat, but this one just seems to be the right thing to carry sometimes.
I love my remington 581 with a nikon 3+9,Its real light.
I pretty much use a Ruger 10/22 mannlicher these days. I just posted a Savage 93 in 17 HMR for sale in the classifieds that does a FANTASTIC job but I am left handed and have decided to stick with the automatic unless I find a left handed bolt 17 or 22 that I can not live without. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the 10/22 though I love the full length stock. Always wished they would have made the 77 RSI in lefty.
CZ 452 .22LR.....
[Linked Image]
I use a win. 9422, the high grade Md. got it for the same price as the working Md. very acc. I want to try a savage 1899 in 22hP with some 60 grain cast bullets this fall tho! or my new /old Colt woodsman!
[Linked Image]One useing a 99 savage, with the 410 barrel!
Remington 541 T leupold 4X rimfire burris steel mounts, bought this gun and scope 25 years ago it has killed many many Squirrel.
Though it has been years since I have formally hunted squirrels when I did it was with my old Remington M34 NRA.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by saddlering
[Linked Image]One useing a 99 savage, with the 410 barrel!

Im not much for shooting them with a shotgun, but thats too cool for school!!! laugh laugh

Ingwe
OK...squirrel has been a sustainable resource for table fare here in the U.S. since time immorial. Who still eat them and how do you prep them and cook them. Thanks!
I do! Parboiled, then rolled in flour, S&P and fried in butter...one of my favorite meals!!
Ingwe
Floured and fried, and then put them in a pressure cooker for a bit and the meat falls off the bone.
Winchester 75 with Remington Subsonic HP's, or my standard barrel Ruger 10/22 with Velociters or the same Subsonic HP's.

Best I ever shot was a friends BRNO #1 with Leupold 4X and lightened trigger. It was about perfect, Light as a feather, shot eyeballs out with ease with CCI pistol match ammo!
Anyone use a .22mag for these grey rats?
I use a .22mag and a .22WRF more that I do standard .22s.
I had to use the 410 barrel on something and no rabbits or grouse could be found, I got 3 greys and a Black, with the 410, but had to be very close, as it didnt work to well, much past 25yrds. I mostly use my 94/22, but realy want to try my savage 1899 22hp, with some 60 grain cast bullets a buddie make for me! cant wait till sept 15th, when our small game season opens! here in michigan!
Nice rifles! I particularly like the blackpowders! I use mostly a Henry Golden Boy (no pics frown ) or the Taurus Judge that I just picked up. But, my favorite squirrel weapon is this, which I turned to shortly after the little rodents started decimating our garden:

[Linked Image]
Pretty sure I saw that same trap used by Les Stroud on an episode of Survivor Man on Discovery or A&E. It worked well for him and he slept with a full belly!

Originally Posted by fatjack34
Pretty sure I saw that same trap used by Les Stroud on an episode of Survivor Man on Discovery or A&E. It worked well for him and he slept with a full belly!

Yeah but he probably would have ate the peanut butter instead of using it for bait! grin
My favorite is an old Remington pump .22, but the most accurate is an even older Remington .22 bolt single shot. Sometimes when hunting with a grandson who's too little to use a .22, he and I carry our .177 air guns.
Sorry, no photos. I'm not smart enough to run the digital camera, let alone get the pics onto here.
I'm a .22 slut as well and these are a few of my favorite.....

Marlin 1897
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Remington 541s
[Linked Image]

CZ452
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
no picture but mine is the Stevens 22/410 o/u with the tenite stocks!
no picture but mine is the Stevens 22/410 o/u with the tenite stocks!
Posted By: EWR Re: Your favorite squirrel rifle.. - 08/14/10
Mine is a Savage MKII in .22 LR. It's a left handed action (like me) and shoots minute of squirrel all day long.
A close runner up though is a recently inherited Stevens model 44 single shot in 25-20 wcf cal.I'm sure it would be my #1 squirrel rifle if ammo wasn't such a b^t$h to find. Sorry, no pics yet.
Eric
EWR,

MAKE your own ammo. Pretty easy for that caliber. You could even use blackpowder and do it the old fashioned way. Gentle on the Model 44 too, which is always a good thing.

Brent
I just picked this one up. I should have a scope on it in a day or two.

[Linked Image]
jwill, that a Kimber? I have one just about like it with a Leupold 2-7 rimfire on top. Great .22's. I see you are in NW FL. I am in Tallahassee.
Yep, it's a classic .22. I just got my 3-9 efr, we'll see how it works out. I'm over in Niceville.
That's a great pick on the optics. What height rings you gonna do?
I bought some low rings and dual dovetails. That pic has the factory set-up which I think are mediums.
bumpin this one back up again...who's added new squirrel rifles added to the family arsenals?

Winchester 9422 Trapper with iron sights.
My favorite squirrel rifle, now, is my H&R Sportster. I put a 2-7x Nikon prostaff on board, and have been doing a bunch of squirrel hunting, this fall.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
CZ 455 American
Posted By: RWE Re: Your favorite squirrel rifle.. - 12/09/12
SA-22
.17 HMR/Savage 93R17.

I will say, you better go for head shots using it though grin
Originally Posted by ICOT
.17 HMR/Savage 93R17.I will say, you better go for head shots using it though grin

wondering if anyone here has tried the 17HMR FMJ loads, or the CCI Gamepoint that i had read were more of a controlled expansion/less explosive loading ?

i have a couple of HMR's, only thing i';ve tried to date were standard loads that were pretty rough on squirrels, especially small grays.

.17 HMR/Savage 93R17.I will say, you better go for head shots using it though grin

wondering if anyone here has tried the 17HMR FMJ loads, or the CCI Gamepoint that i had read were more of a controlled expansion/less explosive loading ?

i have a couple of HMR's, only thing i';ve tried to date were standard loads that were pretty rough on squirrels, especially small grays.

I used the VMAX on my 1st hunt with the 17hmr. It's a little too much for the grays as you mentioned. It kills em dead and does the gut work for you grin
I just bought a CZ 452 FS .17 HMR with a Leupold scope, but I haven't used it except to sight it in. It's mostly for crows that hang up out of shotgun range, but I'll no doubt use for squirrels at some point.

My favorite is a 39A with CCI SGB ammo. Grandpa's Savage M19 NRA match rifle has to get a turn once in a while, just for old time's sake, and I will eventually try out the Remington rolling block .32-20 I picked up a while back.
Ruger 77/22 with aftermarket trigger and bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40. with CCI HP's it will lay 'em all into a dime at 50 yards with only the occasional flyer. i just bought two more for my boys and at least one of them is bone-stock with a cheap simmons and it is almost as good. haven't tried the other one yet.
CZ 452 American, .22lr. I tweaked the trigger lighter, and have enjoyed it ever since. Great small game rifle.

I also have a 1952 Rem m121 .22 that is great with open sights, and a Rem pump action 25-20 that I haven't used on small game yet.
.17 HMR/Savage 93R17.

I will say, you better go for head shots using it though grin

+1. Love mine!
Still using my Kimber Hunter 22. I tried several different scopes on it, but in the end wound up going back to a 2-7x 32mm, they are "just right" on it like Goldilocks wanted.
[Linked Image]
Don't have any pictures, but two of my favorites are a Ruger 77 V in 22 Hornet with green lam. It has a Leupold 3.5 X 10 A.O. and is known as the "green Hornet"

My other "pet" is a Cooper 17 HMR with another Leupold 3.5 X 10 A.O. on it.

Both are Sage Rat guns.

Have several more for "back ups"

Virgil B.
Custom Martini 12/15 .22 or M1922M2 Springfield. Both rifles are fairly heavy, so on days when my back/hip is killing me and I need to use a hiking staff to get around in the woods, I just strap on my Colt Woodsman. (But the squirrels usually get off Scot-free on those days!)
© 24hourcampfire