Home
Posted By: maddog Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/09/12
Probably should have posted this over in the food prep forum, but thought more squirrel hunters would read it here. Found it in Field and Stream last spring. I basically cut the recipe in half, and added a can of whole corn. I renamed it "limb chicken chowder" grin

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2012/02/new-england-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder

maddog
Posted By: lawnman Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/09/12
Yea man that does sound good! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Strider Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/13/12
Do you dice the squirrel into "clam" sized pieces, or is this more of a gravy?

tx
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/13/12
You can pressure cook or slow cook the squirrel, until the meat easily comes off the bone. You can cut it up any way you want. Eat it in a bowl like soup, with crackers etc.

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/13/12
Still teasin' me with this kinda stuff huh....?

Bastid....... wink
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/14/12
Hell ingwe, come on back I'll even let you borrow my other .22. Course I'll have to monkey with the scope so I can out shoot yer azz......wink grin

maddog
Posted By: killahog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/29/12
I am trying the recipe right now, and will let you all know how it turns out.
Posted By: lucket Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/29/12
It sure looks tasty. Let us know how it comes out..
The Limb Chicken Chowder turned out great, In fact I ate so much I don't think the yard is going to get mowed today, like I planned. I followed the recipe exactly but, I felt it would have been a little better if I would have added a little corn.
now I'm out of Tree rat I better go back out in the Morning.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Anchutz 1712 FTW McMillin Stock Leupold 3x9x33 EFR . All noggin shots
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/29/12
killahog, first time I made the recipe, I basically cut it in half, but did add a can of whole corn. My son said it was awesome, but next time add TWO cans! grin

maddog
It was a very good recipe thank you for sharing it.
My wife made this recipe this past week, just as it is listed. Makes a BUNCH of chowder! And is it RICH AND GOOD! No, its GREAT!!

I shared it with a couple family members and took 3 qt. jars to work and gave to buddies and they flipped over it.

It'll sure be one we cook up again! thanks!

dave
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/30/12
I haven't made any, yet this fall, but as soon as it gets colder, I'm gonna make some up. Next time your wife makes it, have here put a can or two of whole corn in it. It's awesome!

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/02/12
THE BEST RECIPE EVER!!!!!!
Now I'm all anxious to try it!
Got 8 tree rats thawing out right now. On the menu for tomorrow evening's dinner. Pressure cooking the rats in the morning. (will add corn of course) wink
Made a batch using 6 large mature fox squirrels last nite. Did add one can of corn to the recipe. IT IS VERY GOOD. I love chowder, but never attempted to make it.

Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/26/12
Well, my first pot of the fall is in the cooking process. Pressure cooked the squirrels, and the veggies are simmering. Glad you boys liked it! grin

maddog
My attempt is simmering, awaiting on Mama to get home from grocery shopping. Had to sample....OMG! This recipe is awesome!
I almost made myself sick after eating the third bowl. It is a very rich soup that you just can't walk away from. Have 4 quarts in jars that I am going to give to buddy's tomorrow. Thanks much for the recipe.

Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/28/12
I've eaten 8 bowls since Fri. Gave 4 containers to my buddies, and froze the rest.....whew! grin

maddog
I've had 4 bowls full the past 2 days and having more for dinner this evening. Sent a container full to the MILs and froze some up for a buddy who owns the property the rats came from.

Dang you Dog! grin
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/29/12
grin grin

maddog
thanks for the recipe. i think it would work with just about any light meat ...
Man that sounds good. I'm always looking for new squirrel recipes. I'll be trying this. Thanks!
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 11/19/12
Quick note. You can freeze the soup in tupperware type bowls, thaw it out, nuke it in the microwave, and it's just as good as coming right off the stove!

maddog
Gonna make another batch next weekend. The first batch never got a chance to make it to the freezer! This stuff is awesome!
TTT, it fell off and I had to do a search to find it.

Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 01/08/13
Well, just shut off the pressure cooker......got 8-9 "limb chickens" in it. Gonna bone out the meat and store for tomorrow. Got a buddy coming over and we're gonna make a full pot of the chowder. Then, weather permitting, we are going for a midday hunt! grin

maddog
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 01/08/13
Thought I'd let you guys know. While I was deboning the squirrels[the meat was falling off the bone], I had 1 squirrel in the bunch that was so old/tough, that I couldn't pull the meat off the bone. Those 4 pieces went to the waste basket. grin

For anybody that wants to know, I pressure cooked the squirrels for a little over 30 minutes at 10 lbs. of pressure.

maddog
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 01/10/13
Sounds like an awesome recipe and one that I am going to try soon. Can somebody expand on the parboiling technique, like for how long and at what temperature?

Thanks for your time
Keith
Posted By: ingwe Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 01/10/13
Throw them in some salted water with some onions, boil for about 5 minutes, cool and peel.
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/29/13
Because more guys are finally getting out to hunt "limb chickens", and we have some guys who never saw the recipe, from last yr., I'm giving this thread a one time bump. I gotta get busy and make a batch.....my freezer is gettin' full. grin

maddog
finally going to get out later this week and try to get some skwerls. Can't wait to cook up a pot of the chowder.
Squirrels are not very plentiful around here yet this year, but was able to killer three this morning and have the chowder cooking on the stove. Been waiting all summer for this. This has got to be a top 10 dish that I have every made.
Good stuff, isn't it!
Posted By: Ella Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/13/13
I put the old tough ones in the bag in the freezer labeled "maddog stew." I parboil in some stock--garlic, onions, little chicken stock, salt, pepper, bay-leaf. It flavors them up a little.

The young tender suckers get chicken-fried...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/13/13
Wish I could find some young tender ones.... grin

Two thirds of the squirrels I've shot this year have been older males and females.

maddog
Posted By: Ella Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/13/13
Down here the little ones are scampering around. They'll drive you nuts when you're deer hunting. Of the dozen or so I've shot this Fall, about half have been tender little pups. They fry up beautifully--melt off the bone--but they sure are tiny in a scope.

I had an old boar simmer for a good hour and a half once before it softened up. But it made some good taco meat, which is the other recipe I use the older ones in besides your stew. They take some tugging and gnawing if you fry 'em.
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/14/13
That's an AMEN on the tugging and gnawing......grin

maddog
I thawed out 3 squirrels I had previously killed to add to the 5 I took last week for "chowder". I placed all of the pieces in the pressure cooker for 30 minutes using beef stock for moisture. There must have been one old limb chicken in the mix, because even after 30 minutes....I had 4 quarter pieces of what you could compare to "Super-Ball" material... grin All the rest just fell off the bone.
I'm guessing this will work with rabbits as well. You guys that have tried it do you think it would work with game birds, or maybe even a combination of whatever you happen to have left in the freezer???
Yep, it'll work. Any dark meat wild or tame will work in the recipe.

maddog
If you use the full recipe you'll have enough to feed Coxey's army.
I've thrown as high as 12 squirrels in the full recipe, even though it only calls for 4-8. I think you can add even more corn than I do, or even try other veggies. Last batch, I put in more cheeses than it called for. Lotsa room for sperimenting.....grin

maddog
I add more cheese...never a bad thing. Toss in some sliced mushrooms..corn...anything that suits you. This recipe has no boundaries. Just stick with the basics..
Posted By: pointer Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/15/13
I'm gonna test the boundaries! I have the breasts from four HUGE sage grouse cocks in the freezer. laugh
[Linked Image]

If anything, I bet I'll eat it. Can't speak for the rest of the household.
Nice!!
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I'm guessing this will work with rabbits as well. You guys that have tried it do you think it would work with game birds, or maybe even a combination of whatever you happen to have left in the freezer???

I'm going to give it a whirl then. Receipe sounds great just reading it!!
Posted By: slymule Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/17/13
Just tried out the recipe last week using a goose and a couple of ducks from the weekend goose hunt. Don't know what happened but using the recipe it turned out to thin for my liking, so the wife added a little corn starch and water to thicken it up some. Pretty tasty stuff, just waiting for rabbit season to open now.
I gotta try this. I love Chowder and love squirrel hunting.
Posted By: tweeter Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 10/30/13
Just got done making a pot. WOW! My girlfriend would never eat squirrel, went as far as not allowing them in her kitchen. She just had a bowl, and gave me instructions to go shoot some more squirrels. The only variations I made, was to add a can of cream of mushroom soup (campells ... because I only had half a pint of half & half),and added some corn from the garden. I also used four squirrels and one ruffed grouse. Thanks for the recipe!
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 09/26/14
Well, a fellow poster, here said i should bump this recipe, for this upcoming season, so here goes. if you've never tried it, you should.

maddog
I had some the other day, that I had frozen from last season. It was awesome! Mama says I need to make another batch!
TTT
Tag
Posted By: rong Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 12/03/17
Just found this after seeing a bunch of tree rats today while deer hunting.Will have to try this out after season .
Posted By: jdunham Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 12/30/19
Just found this and I am going to give it a try.
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 12/31/19
Just made a huge batch, yesterday. Hadn't had any in awhile. Man, ya can make yerself sick from eatin' too much of that stuff! grin

GOD BLESS LIMB CHICKENS!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 12/31/19
Made with squirrel, rabbit, or chicken this is without a doubt the best soup of any kind I have ever eaten!

+1 on adding some sweet corn.
Serious thread resurrection. I just made my first batch for the family Christmas gathering. Itโ€™s a huge hit. My next batch will include the corn.
Posted By: DeWman Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 12/23/21
My new favorite squirrel recipe ๐Ÿฟ- ๐Ÿ‘€- ๐Ÿ’ฅ- ๐Ÿฅ˜- ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Wife and kids love this stuff.
You all werenโ€™t kidding, that is awesome!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Serious thread resurrection. I just made my first batch for the family Christmas gathering. Itโ€™s a huge hit. My next batch will include the corn.

By all means, put the corn in. Not only is this the best squirrel recipe Ive ever seen, its the best soup recipe in the world! Not 'heart friendly'...but who cares?
Originally Posted by ingwe
Not 'heart friendly'...but who cares?

Ha! Thatโ€™s Fact.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by maddog
Probably should have posted this over in the food prep forum, but thought more squirrel hunters would read it here. Found it in Field and Stream last spring. I basically cut the recipe in half, and added a can of whole corn. I renamed it "limb chicken chowder" grin

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2012/02/new-england-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder

maddog

tt
Tag
Tag
Posted By: PennDog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 01/16/22
Finally made this chowder and as others have said it is excellent. I too added corn - everyone that tried it said it was awesome and that included some that would โ€œneverโ€ eat squirrel ๐Ÿ˜.

Thanks for the recipe MD!!

PennDog
Posted By: maddog Re: Fantastic squirrel recipe - 01/24/22
We're getting ready to have a wild game feed at one of our local military clubs, in mid Feb. I'm pretty sure I'll make the chowder for it, but I also saw a recipe for squirrel alfredo that I'm giving some consideration to.........hmmm.....smile
© 24hourcampfire