Home
Posted By: cs best .22 for small game... - 03/05/01
I was just wondering what ya'll's favorite .22 ammo is. I figured that most squirrel, rabbit, and whatever hunting is done with a .22.<BR>Do you guys like HP's or solids?<BR>I usually use walmart Rem golden bullet hp's, but my .22 is lucky in that it shoots them pretty straight. They misfire sometimes, but I just put them back in the chamber in a different position and they fire the 2nd time. Stingers also work well for me, but they get to expensive for a good night full of coon hunting.<BR>What's your medicine for these wild beasts?
I use the Federal hollowpoints that are probably on the same Wal-Mart shelf. They are $10 for a box of 550. They work well in my gun and shoot accurately enough, anout 1" @50 yards. They are hollowpoints, but not explosive.<BR> If you want explosive, try the WInchesters. They are behind the counter, $8 for 500. They are pure lead and have a deep hollowpoint. I think they are standard velocity, but from what expierence I have, they are like little bombs on target. They don't shoot that well out of my gun though.
I also use the Federal Hollowpoints and i find that they work well and are quite accurate out of my marlin model 60. <BR>YoungHunter
Experience has shown that it pays to experiment with rim fire ammo. My Marlin 39AS likes CCI and WW Power-Point high speed ammo. It loves RWS sub-sonic HP ammo. Like 5 rds. in 5/8's of an inch. Remington's ammo has had ignition problems with many other shooter's rifles, judging from comments over at Shooter's over the years. Stringers doesn't shoot well in my Marlin either, say 2.5 inches @ 50 yds. The others shoot one inch groups. Hollow point ammo kills much better than solid ammo, in my experience. E.
For rabbits and squirells I like the Remington Yellow Jackets, they do the same damage as stingers for less $. I've sold guns that don't like the little bees. If you can find them, the CCI SGB (small game bullet) do one hell of a number on thicker skinned varmints. They make this lovely "thock" when the hit, kind of like flicking an empty milk carton.
CS: Like you, I use the bulk Remington .22LR hi-speeds in solid point. I use these for squirrel, finding that they give acceptable accuracy and are available almost anywhere - cheap. When I move up to my .22 WMR, I use Winchester/Western solid points, finding the solids to less destructive on small, edible game.
I've been alternating the Eley Subsonic HP's and Eley/Rem Target for squirrels. But, my rifle is shooting the Federal 900B so well, I think I'll give it a try this fall. For crows, woodchucks, foxes, the WW Power Point.
Posted By: blammer Re: best .22 for small game... - 04/21/01
Winchester Western Power Points<BR>Remington Golden bullet 36gr HP<P>at 50 yds I get 10 shots that can cover a dime on a regular basis.<P>most accurate and most devestating in my Rem 541-T, my Ruger 10-22, and my Win 9422, all of which I use for squirrel hunting.
Used to use the Winchester T22 but they didn't kill as well as I would like. I tried several HP rounds but the meat distruction was to much.... then I tried some remington Sub-Sonic HP's. They kill like lightning and group extremely well out of almost any rifle you can name. I have a CZ M452 Lux that will put 5 under an inch at 100 yards. This requires a wind protected range and a few sighters but it truly enlightens one about the accuracy of a fine 22 with ammo it likes.....gunnut69
Posted By: Keeb Re: best .22 for small game... - 06/24/01
I used to use Stingers for squirrels and bunnies but I found that they do too much damage to the critter. So now I use Federal solids. They kill the critters without all the damage. Another round I like is the Winchester Power Point. By far it is the most accurate round in my 10/22 and 22/45. While it is a hollow point, it doesnt expand and destroy the meat as much as the stingers do.<BR>Keeb
Posted By: Swift Re: best .22 for small game... - 06/24/01
Squirrels hit the ground great with Eley subsonic HP ammo yeh I know their expensive but that's what the Savage likes. Rabbits if I leave the beagle behind to still hunt em I take the Rossi .22 mag with whatever HPs I have at the time heck with iron sights on the Rossi I can't tell or shoot the difference.
CCI Stinger.
cs,<P>What I do is test all the different types of ammo as far as the HP ammo goes. Whatever is most accurate in my rifles is what I use to hunt with. In two of my rifles I shoot Win Dynapoints and the other likes PMC the best.<P>Good Shooting,<BR>George
© 24hourcampfire