Home
Posted By: Fraser shot size for snowshoes - 12/07/01
With winter rabbit hunting getting underway I was wondering what people would recommend. I use an over/under 20 gauge and I will be getting some 3" magnum shells. Since this stuff isn't too common where I live I'll probably have to order it. The only conveniently availible shot sizes seem to be #4 and #6. What would you recommend?<p>Chuck Fraser
Posted By: Sand Bay Re: shot size for snowshoes - 12/07/01
With the snowshoe population finally coming back here in Northern Wisc., I'll probably be able to go out this winter and shoot a few again. For what it's worth, I've always used 6's with success, however it's what I use, and purchase most often for other game, so I don't have 4's on hand.
Posted By: twodogs Re: shot size for snowshoes - 12/07/01
Personally, I'd use either one that's available. I tend to lean toward heavier shot for everything, but, for these bunnies, I'm confident the 6's would be fine. You could always pick up a box of each and stack them in your O/U and experiment with which works best for you.<p>Good Luck!<p>2D
For some reason I have always found snowshoes to be more difficult to kill than cottontails - not by a lot, but by some. Maybe becuase I often find myself shooting through conifers and as a result fewer pellets probably get through to the bunny. So, while a lot of folks up here on the UP of Michigan use 6's, I prefer 4's.
I agree I have taken many with 6 but in deeper stuff I like #4<p>DJ
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pak Re: shot size for snowshoes - 12/16/01
#4s are fine although I don't use the magnum shells and never wished I had them. I have never shot bunnies from very far away, especially when they are in the willows.pak
Posted By: Chuck Re: shot size for snowshoes - 01/15/02
I don't know why but Arkansas cotton field rabbits carry a lot more lead than the southern Illinois bunnies I shot in high school. I switched to #4 shot and they DIE. Less shot in the rabbit, most go's through. It is great for dog smart late season rabbits that break long and don't circle. Shots are long and the bunny is moving. I have a load of 1 5/8 oz of #4 in a 2 3/4 black remington hull. All my hunting buddys call it "Black death". P.S. It will knock the stuffing out of a coyote @ 30-40 yds.
Posted By: Keeb Re: shot size for snowshoes - 01/18/02
#6 has always done the job for me on old long ears. I am glad to see that the critters are starting to come back in the U.P. and northern lower MI. Fun critters to hunt.
<br>Keeb
© 24hourcampfire