Home
last year we really put it on the squirrels, probably about the best year i've had.

In a few weeks we'll get after them again, and been thinking about doing more hunting with alternate tools. used to make quite a few hunts with .32 & .36 muzzleloaders, will be doing more of that this year, will also make a few more hunts with pistols.

anyone here using air rifles, blackpowder guns, or even bows to squirrel hunting?
I shoot a pile of them every year out of my pecan trees with my gamo Im ready for squirrel season to come in though, got a new ruger 77/22 that I need to Christen
When hunting ground squirrels (sage rats) usually start off with a 10/22. Later on may shift to a .222 Rem. for the longer range stuff. For real fun I'll use a Ruger Mk 1 bull barrel.
Back in my youth, when i was really in to buckskinning/black powder hunting, i had a .32 cal Dixie Tenn. Mtn. rifle flintlock. Shot several squirrels with that ole girl. Times i wish i still had that rifle.frown

maddog
Maddog....i've been shooting a couple of Cherokees & Senecas in .32 & .36 for quite a few years, and this last year i picked up a .40 Flinter , one of the old Dixie Cub guns...nice little lightweight rifle. gonna go spend a day with the .40 next week to see how well she shoots.

smoked squills, with the .32 cherokee: [Linked Image]

buddy also has a .32 cherokee, our haul from a fall hunt years ago.
[Linked Image]

Years back when I used to chase 'em pretty vigorously I killed quite a few with .22 LR handguns. I started with a Ruger Single Six, then a Ruger MKI 5.5" bull barrel. Later a S&W K22 went hunting with me. Occasionally I took my compound bow, arrows topped with Judo heads. That was a lot of fun when the leaves were down in the late season and the squirrels were on the ground.
SWEET! Great pics!

maddog
I haven't done it recently but have killed several with a .32 muzzle loader and a 12 side by side black powder shot dun. Loads of fun
Bill
I manage to kill a few squirrel each season with handgun. Usually dont use my pistol setup till mid-to-late season when the leaves are falling and/or off.. Prior to that it is always my vintage BRNO or CZ 22LR's.

dave
I love to use my contender 22 handgun in the fall when they are on the ground more. With a bandolier holster it keeps both hands free.
I love hunting squirrels with my Ruger. I would love to try hitting them with a muzzleloader.
[Linked Image]
SO, what kind of loads are you folks using in your .32 and .36 cal ML's?

A few years back when I was in NW Penna I managed to get a few w/my .36 Traditions. 40grFFFg and a patched ball. Knocked em pretty good.

Not much squirrel hunting over here in E. WA, unfortunately for me. There's some introduced fox squirrels up in town, but I doubt the good citizens would like me hunting them grin
Originally Posted by Valsdad
SO, what kind of loads are you folks using in your .32 and .36 cal ML's?

A few years back when I was in NW Penna I managed to get a few w/my .36 Traditions. 40grFFFg and a patched ball. Knocked em pretty good.

in the .32, measure i use a 15gr volume spout, so its probably dumping 11-12gr Pyrodex P, shooting Hornady #1 Buckshot pellets for roundballs (they are .300 diameter), .015 patch.

for the .36 i use a 25gr spout, its throwing around 20-22gr weight of P, .350 ball & .015 patch.

buddy was shooting 30gr in his .32 & it was really blowing the stuffins outa them on body shots...i bet the .36 with 40gr makes 'em come outa the tree right quick. laugh

My Smith Model 41 is my go to Squirrel Pistol, but i do use my Woodsman at times .

[Linked Image]
I like to use my .32 flinter loaded with 30gr. of 3fff and a .310 patched round ball. My little beagle Dolly loves to tree squirrels.

[Linked Image]
Now THAT looks like a fun time! laugh

...that does sound like fun. Make the day alittle more memorable with the smell of BP, and last longer due to reloading.

I read a gun mag article on squill hunting with flints many moons ago,and if I wasn't so lazy, I would love to have tried it.

Beautiful gun.
Originally Posted by RWL99
I like to use my .32 flinter loaded with 30gr. of 3fff and a .310 patched round ball. My little beagle Dolly loves to tree squirrels.

[Linked Image]

Love Dolly...
I've been hunting squirrels with a flintlocks for a lot of years. This picture was taken in 1976. There was a lot of squirrels in those days and it was easy to take your limit even with the old black powder rifle.

[Linked Image]
I use an Encore pistol in .410 and a Single Six in .22lr.

Great pic of Dolly, what a great companion to have in the woods.
I got my first handgun squirrel last week. I went back to a farm site to pick up my apple cider press and had the Ruger Mk III along, loaded with Remington Thunderbolts. A red fox squirrel was eating on the apple leavings pile when I arrived and my weimaraner treed her nicely. I shot straight up, right through the lungs. The solid point took a while to kill her though - I'll load up with the CCI Subsonic HPs for hunting from now on - they're hell on bunnies and squirrels!
© 24hourcampfire