Home
Posted By: websterparish47 Second chance - 10/01/17
Years ago was squirrel hunting an 80 acre spot, saw a big fox squirrel up at the top of a leafless hickory tree. Unfotunately, the area around the tree had been clear cut 5-8 years earlier and was surrounded by shoulder high brush.
Felt I couldn't get any closer(about 65 yards), so I cut loose with and ounce and a quarter of #5s. Was sure I hit him but he got the otherside of the tree and got away. That was the first week of the season.

In late December I want back there with my .22. Nearing the back side of that lot, say a big fox squirrel flattened out on a limb. He had already seem me. Worked around so I could see his head and got him. When I was skinning him out, I found 6 #5 shot in his hide. Had penetrated the hide but not the muscle . Completely healed over.

He shouldn't have given me a second chance.

You ever shot game you found had been shot before and survived?

Posted By: MOGC Re: Second chance - 10/01/17
Yep, I've killed squirrels before and found shot pellets under the hide. That comes of folks stretching the barrel on the shotgun trying to force a shot.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Second chance - 10/14/17
It also comes from using the cheapest loads with the softest shot that deforms and cuts down on the penetration.
Posted By: Hal4son Re: Second chance - 05/09/21
Missed a right to left crossing shot on a starling this morning. Bird flew out into the field, made three left turns and I rolled it as a left to right crosser. Second chances are a good thing!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Second chance - 05/10/21
I have dug scarred over bullets and birdshot out of several big game. I wouldn't doubt some birds I have killed had survived being peppered before, but that may be more difficult to determine.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Second chance - 05/11/21
Cool post! We stalked in and my dad shot at a coues whitetail buck at 200 yards and missed in front of it. I checked the rifle later, several inches off to the side. Dang. Two days later found the buck during a sleet storm, stalked in again and dad killed him. As we were skinning it, found a graze wound, on its throat, just enough to cut the hair and burn an oblong hole through the skin.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Second chance - 05/12/21
Years ago I was squirrel hunting with some reduced loads in a 22 Hornet. I shot a squirrel and saw it fall but I held my position to see if there any others nearby. After a few minutes I walked up to the tree that the squirrel had been in and looked all around the tree but no squirrel. I continued through the woods and maybe a hundred yards further along a squirrel started barking at me, just giving me hell. I lined up on it, shot and saw it fall. I found it at the base of the tree and it had a semi-circular plug missing from its nose. 😳 It was the one I had shot at a few minutes earlier.
I guess it was really pissed at me but should have kept quiet.
© 24hourcampfire