Home
Posted By: auk1124 Spring Squirrels - 05/08/19
Spring squirrel season starts up here in KY in a week. Anyone else going to go? I really enjoy it, except for the ticks! With the weather we have had this winter, the woods will hopefully be full of them.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/08/19
Started this past Saturday here.
Posted By: davidsapp Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/09/19
Saturday May 11 for us in Tennessee. Will be out with my 9 year old.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/09/19
I used to go and risk the ticks but now I don't.
Posted By: shaman Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/09/19
We'll usually go out for KY Spring Squirrels, but it usually a somewhat wasted effort. It's still a good excuse to go take a hike.

My beagle used to love going out, whatever the reason, and she especially loved when we'd go out together for squirrel. That was right in her wheelhouse. However, in the spring, I find even her patience was tested. Several times, she'd disappear and I'd wait ten minutes or so and call back to the house.

"Yep," said KYHillChick. "She's back on the porch."

Even my dog got bored.
Posted By: pointer Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/09/19
Good luck! I'd really like to make it to KY and/or TN for a spring squirrel hunt. Darn kids and their baseball... wink
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/09/19
Missouri opens Memorial Day weekend. I'm usually busy fishing then. It's more fun on the water than dealing with the ticks, chiggers, spider webs, poison ivy, snakes and humidity.
Posted By: skinner Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/10/19
Yes it opens on the 25th here in the show me state. Unfortunately, I will be returning from a prairie dog shoot and won’t be able participate in the opening day festivities.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/13/19
arent the squirrels too small this time of the year?
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by Hubert
arent the squirrels too small this time of the year?

With the mild winters we have these days, spring squirrels seem to be pretty fat and happy around here.
Posted By: xverminator Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by MOGC
Missouri opens Memorial Day weekend. I'm usually busy fishing then. It's more fun on the water than dealing with the ticks, chiggers, spider webs, poison ivy, snakes and humidity.

I'm gonna make it a point to do a float this year with the boys (Son and SIL). Squirrels in the morning/evening, Smallmouth and Goggle Eye the rest of the time......

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by xverminator
Originally Posted by MOGC

I'm gonna make it a point to do a float this year with the boys (Son and SIL). Squirrels in the morning/evening, Smallmouth and Goggle Eye the rest of the time......

X-VERMINATOR

That sounds like fun. I know you are aware, but if you find a mulberry tree it is the place to be. It was cool here this morning and I had need to drive a country blacktop. It was loaded with squirrels, seems to be a lot of them this spring.
Posted By: xverminator Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/14/19
10-4 on the Mullberries.... wink Ordered a set of Skinners for the 39A this morning. Gonna be fun to woop up on them boys with their scoped rifles!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/14/19
My 39A has a Williams aperture sight rear and a 1/10" flat faced gold bead Marbles front sight. It is my favorite squirrel rifle! I have other . 22's, scoped bolts and semi autos, Ruger MK Hunter handgun and S&W K22 revolver. Nothing is more fun than that little lever gun. Couple years ago I lip squeaked a pair of coyotes and killed them both with the little Marlin. Love that rifle!
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/15/19
That's ironic MOGC. I use a 39A and peep as well in the state of misery. Good luck and no ticks. And always be near a mulberry tree. Be Well. Rusty
Posted By: WL205 Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/15/19
opens today here in OK
Posted By: hosfly Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/15/19
Best season there is,,, we didnt have alot around here this fall an winter,, no acorns ate up the hickory an gum balls and left before deer season,, didnt have near enough in the freezer
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/16/19
Originally Posted by hosfly
Best season there is,,, we didnt have alot around here this fall an winter,, no acorns ate up the hickory an gum balls and left before deer season,, didnt have near enough in the freezer

Reynolds and parts of Shannon counties were loaded up with both acorns and squirrels all winter where I hunt.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/16/19
Im in southern reynolds and we didnt have squat,, I heard bunker area to eminence had som squirrels but i didnt go see,,
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/17/19
The area around Ellington was loaded.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/17/19
Really? Dang , Garwood and VB were absent of em ,, I have 100's-1000's of acres of old growth timber here and I couldnt buy any,, few old reds that were the size of house cats ... deer were starving to the point the were out eating along the hiways 24/7 seen more deer run over on hiway this year than ever before,, acorns were just spotty huh,
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/17/19
Weird...
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/21/19
Originally Posted by auk1124
Spring squirrel season starts up here in KY in a week. Anyone else going to go? I really enjoy it, except for the ticks! With the weather we have had this winter, the woods will hopefully be full of them.

Full of Squirrels or ticks.....laugh ?

Over the last 20 years I have walked miles & miles of the most prime Chigger infested land Texas has to offer. I wear snake boots all the time. I don't even own any others. I have always sprayed my boots with Mosquito spray, even to the point of wondering if the glue would turn loose on the sole. I have never had a single tick or chigger on me over all of that time.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/22/19
Permethrin is the deal. Treat your clothes and it is good for a couple washings and up to two weeks.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Spring Squirrels - 05/22/19
Permethrin is good for 6 washings. Been using it for years.
© 24hourcampfire