Home
Posted By: TradHunter89 Favorite Small game - 09/01/19
What is your favorite small game to hunt and your favorite way to cook it.

Mine is grey squirrel, and my grandmothers squirrel gravy over homemade biscuits.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Favorite Small game - 09/01/19
Cottontails in front of a small pack of beagles. A Belgian Browning 20 gauge Auto Five in the crook of my arm and the anticipation of fried rabbit and gravy for dinner makes the experience complete. Squirrel hunting is a close second. Most often an old Marlin 39A with an aperture sight is my sentimental choice for prowling the hardwoods. Fried squirrel and gravy is good on the plate too.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite Small game - 09/01/19
Cottontails out west here...in the high sage.....with a light rifle...head shots.

Fried in butter with S&P and gravy made out of the drippings....best meal ever.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Favorite Small game - 09/01/19
Cottontails with beagles is first. Scalloped cottontail casserole is like heaven on your plate. Squirrel gravy and biscuits is a close 2nd.
Posted By: DBrink Re: Favorite Small game - 09/01/19
Real hard to beat young squirrel fried, with biscuits and gravy, and fried potatoes for breakfast after being head shot with a good bolt .22 RF. Gratifying and relaxing while hunting and after the meal!!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Favorite Small game - 09/01/19
Squirrels, but I don't eat'em, so I don't know how to cook'em.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Favorite Small game - 09/03/19
Fried rabbit first, barbecued squirrel second.
Posted By: e3ck Re: Favorite Small game - 09/04/19
Tree Rats With gravy, fried, grilled, etc. it's all good smile
Posted By: mutedblade Re: Favorite Small game - 09/06/19
Cottontail and squirrel are equally delicious when prepared alongside biscuits and gravy. A great day is when you have both on the table at the same time.
Posted By: maddog Re: Favorite Small game - 09/08/19
Squirrel, except I don't call em tree rats, I call em "Organic Free Rang Limb Chickens", Limb Chickens for short. grin

Lotsa good recipes. Fried with cornbread and gravy, limb chicken chowder, BBQ'd or teriyaki from pressure cooked, deboned limb chickens.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: maddog Re: Favorite Small game - 09/08/19
Here is a good recipe.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blog...land-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder/

and another.

http://smarthunters.proboards.com/thread/1415/pulled-squirrel?page=1
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Favorite Small game - 09/09/19
Squirrels because is can grab a gun and go hunting. Beagle packs are getting fewer around home. Bummer on that.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: Favorite Small game - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by DBrink
Real hard to beat young squirrel fried, with biscuits and gravy, and fried potatoes for breakfast after being head shot with a good bolt .22 RF. Gratifying and relaxing while hunting and after the meal!!

...you nailed it! smile

dave
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Favorite Small game - 09/18/19
grew up squirrel hunting, and still dedicate several weekends each fall to that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Favorite Small game - 09/22/19
Squirrel hunting with a good scoped 22 is my favorite and frying them up and making gravy from the crumbs.
Posted By: khornet65 Re: Favorite Small game - 09/23/19
Love squirrel and gravy and biscuits. Also like fried rabbit. Nothin' any better.
Posted By: Quak Re: Favorite Small game - 10/11/19
Squirrel for me...eastern gray and fox. I hunt them with a .22 and irons. Either my Grandfathers model 69 winchester or my cz 455. Great fun and a good way to scout the deer woods. I like it fried with gravy or with squirrel and dumplings.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Favorite Small game - 10/12/19

Squirrel hunting is my favorite, last few years been killing 80-100 , love eating them and have a few older people that I give them to that can't hunt anymore.
Posted By: Robster Re: Favorite Small game - 10/23/19
Cottontail or snowshoe hare with my pack of beagles. Absolute favorite hunting. I love the chase more than anything, always bring my gun but rarely shoot.
Posted By: Polecat Re: Favorite Small game - 11/13/19
Rabbit is my favorite, eating them is just a bonus, running the dogs is the fun part.

Lee
Posted By: StuckInOhio Re: Favorite Small game - 04/02/20
Used to love hunting the ruffed grouse in Western PA. Went out to some old hunting areas last fall but nothing there now.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Favorite Small game - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by maddog
Squirrel, except I don't call em tree rats, I call em "Organic Free Rang Limb Chickens", Limb Chickens for short. grin

Lotsa good recipes. Fried with cornbread and gravy, limb chicken chowder, BBQ'd or teriyaki from pressure cooked, deboned limb chickens.

I thought I was the only person in the world that put katchup on gravy.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Favorite Small game - 04/02/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: 99hunter Re: Favorite Small game - 04/04/20
FyrepowrX that fried squirrel looks awesome!
Posted By: jc189 Re: Favorite Small game - 04/04/20
Nice pic polecat. I haven't hunted rabbits with beagles since I was a teenager. My Grandfather use to raise and train Beagles. Those were some fun times. Grandma use to brown em up in a skillet and put them in a pot of home made spagetti sauce made with tomatoes from the garden. let it slow cook for hours. That was the best pasta and sauce ever. Now I'm a granddad. Got 4 grad kids. just started them shooting a 22. Cant wait till they get big enough to take hunting.
Posted By: Millerish Re: Favorite Small game - 04/04/20
Simply can't beat squirrel hunting however nothing beats fried cottontail!
Posted By: Millerish Re: Favorite Small game - 04/04/20
Except fried snapping turtle that is...
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Favorite Small game - 04/04/20
When we were raising beef and owned our own farm I kept a patch of alfalfa going and provided cover for cottontails.....and kept a pack of beagles. We also had about 30 acres of timber, backed up to....maybe 100 acres of a couple neighbors timber lots. Between rabbits and squirrel I'd hate to have had to choose back then. Now that choice has been made for me. In these rocky, Ozark hills I now own there's maybe 2 bunnies....and 5,000 squirrels right now. Just breaks my heart.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Favorite Small game - 04/04/20
Imported barbecued vampire Bats.
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Favorite Small game - 04/16/20
Squirrels, grey or fox. Rabbits seem to be getting more scarce.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Favorite Small game - 04/16/20
Woops! I like them fried.
Posted By: AussieLad Re: Favorite Small game - 04/20/20
This thread makes me jealous. Here in Oz, you're pretty much limited to rabbits or Hares. Both are good fun, and tasty. I'd love to get over to the USA to have a go at squirrels. Interested to see how they compare to rabbit. Ultimate trip would also see me try my luck on a pheasant or two with my 20ga, and some small stream fishing for smallmouth and brookies.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Favorite Small game - 04/21/20
Aussie, rabbit and squirrel are different but I don't know how I'd describe the difference. They're both delicious. Only thing about squirrels is if you get an old one, and you'll know, they don't fry up tender like the young gray's do. Slow cooked with any of a hundred recipes is the way to cook the oldsters.

Pheasant are both fun and delicious.

I've never taken the opportunity to fish skinny water brookies...or any other kind of water for brookies. Well...I did catch a few in some high lakes in Wyoming but they were incidental. Smallies….where I live is pretty darn good smallie water!! I don't remember who said it other than it ws an outdoor writer a century or more ago who said, "inch for inch and pound for pound they're the fightinist' fish around". From my experience I have to agree with him. They have the attitude of a street bully.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Favorite Small game - 04/22/20
Squirrels. I like the fox squirrel the best.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Favorite Small game - 04/24/20
Chipmunks.... you just gut them (I am civilized) and roast them over an open fire.. no need to skin them you would waste half the meat..
Posted By: JackVliet Re: Favorite Small game - 04/25/20
My favorite is woodcock and pats, if that qualifies for small game.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Favorite Small game - 04/27/20
Pheasant. Fried or smoked with jalapeno and bacon.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Favorite Small game - 04/29/20
Either you guys' teeth are better than mine, or I don't know how to fry a squirrel. Last one I tried to impress the kids with was so tough it couldn't be chewed. Look good all fried up golden brown though..
Posted By: hoytcanon Re: Favorite Small game - 03/14/21
Sharptail Grouse... but grouse in general. We do a week long grouse/walleye safari every September... hard not to love limits of grouse and walleye, campfires and fish fry's, and grouse fingers, grouse stir fry, birds & beans, birds & pasta, birds & eggs, birds roasted on coals etc... etc... gotta eat alot of grouse to stay ahead of the possession limit.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Favorite Small game - 03/14/21
Rabbits with my beagles are probably my favorite but I love to squirrel hunt too.
My boys kill 100 squirrels a year between the four of them. My 11 year old killed 30 this past year and I shoot most of mine with a pistol tagging along with him but he don’t let me shoot much, lol.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite Small game - 03/15/21
Back as a youngster, swamp rabbits ahead of beagles in Red River hardwood bottom land were a lot of fun and good eating.

I used my .410 T/C Contender, wabbits are not that hard to kill. We'd skin'em in the woods, put'em in bread wrappers. Three or four in a hunting vest got pretty heavy. Mamma made a great wabbit gumbo. I still remember eating gumbo in front of a roaring fire on a cold, damp Louisiana winter day.

Memories.

DF
Posted By: Mesa Re: Favorite Small game - 03/15/21
I'm with RickyBobby and Dirtfarmer--cottontails East or West with a .410: an old 1970s 870 Wingmaster, a .410 barreled T-C "Carbine," or my old 1951 Win Model 37 single shot.

I use 4s because just one or two will kill the little critter without messing him up much, and the hair in the bigger wound trail shows you where to find the pellet before it gets between your back teeth.

Now in CA I have to use non-lead, so I load up fired .444 Marlin cases with the equivalent of a half-ounce bismuth load--that does the job. If they sit, I try to get the pattern a little high so a couple of shot hit them in the head. They don't often sit, though.

Wish I had the time and space for some beagles. Best little musicians ever! Some of the best huntin' buddies, too! And a real classy "paint job" on 'em by Ma Nature!
I didn't see any rabbits this last hunting season. They sure are tastier than squirrels. When I'm toting a shotgun I usually am loaded with #5's as those are what I like for small game. Fives usually always penetrate completely through.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Favorite Small game - 03/18/21
Squirls
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Favorite Small game - 03/19/21
cottontails!
Posted By: Epochelyptikal Re: Favorite Small game - 03/19/21
Originally Posted by AussieLad
I'd love to get over to the USA to have a go at squirrels. Interested to see how they compare to rabbit. Ultimate trip would also see me try my luck on a pheasant or two with my 20ga, and some small stream fishing for smallmouth and brookies.

Sounds like you need to visit Minnesota! smile

I really like hunting squirrel. Bring a lunch, sit against an old oak, and wait for them to start moving. All while watching the leaves fall. Even if you don't see a thing, it's a great time to be in the woods.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Favorite Small game - 03/19/21
The rabbits keep us busy until sap starts running
Posted By: ACTDad Re: Favorite Small game - 05/12/21
Most fun = cottotails with beagles, most practical ( and what my kids learned in so points there lol) squirrels
Posted By: DeWman Re: Favorite Small game - 05/16/21
I've changed my answer about 50 times so I give up! Whatever I'm chasing that day is my favorite. If it was a good day with a limit or close than that is my all time favorite, till next time.
© 24hourcampfire