Home
Posted By: hosfly Any coon hunters? - 01/27/20
Ive coon hunted all my life except the past few years,, miss it alot,, working out of town I cant keep a hound but will retire in a few years and will def get back,,
Posted By: ingwe Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/27/20
I like calling them.. But then again I like almost anything that comes to a call.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/27/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like calling them.. But then again I like almost anything that comes to a call.

Yep! I shotgun them when the charge the ecaller.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/27/20
You can’t say coon!!!
Posted By: jeeper Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/28/20

Was a full fledged 25 years ago but lost all my places too hunt and had too give it up. Most of the land owners around here think coon dogs run off all their deer and don't want you on there property. Season is too short on the public too justify the dogs. Last one I had made a sure enough competition dog for an old buddy of mine . He hauled him all over winning a lot. Got offered 10K from some Texas gentleman and I told him to tell them He weren't for sale. My old Buddy kept on huntin that dog till the dog got old and died.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/28/20
Originally Posted by jeeper

Was a full fledged 25 years ago but lost all my places too hunt and had too give it up. Most of the land owners around here think coon dogs run off all their deer and don't want you on there property. Season is too short on the public too justify the dogs. Last one I had made a sure enough competition dog for an old buddy of mine . He hauled him all over winning a lot. Got offered 10K from some Texas gentleman and I told him to tell them He weren't for sale. My old Buddy kept on huntin that dog till the dog got old and died.

Dang,, bitter sweet,,, heck of a deal to see one finished out huh,,almost nothing like it
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/30/20
Get a cur. Hunt sq. in the morning and coon at night. Don't have to walk so far to the tree neither.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/31/20
Originally Posted by Whelenman
You can’t say coon!!!

that`s kinda what i thought ?
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Any coon hunters? - 01/31/20
When I first retired, I spent a lot of time in W. Va.. One of my pals there had mt. cur dogs.. They were awesome.. We hunted coon often.. Really miss that...
Posted By: old_willys Re: Any coon hunters? - 02/09/20
Growing up my older brother had some great black and tan coon hounds we would run them all night, he has passed away but I still remember the times we had.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Any coon hunters? - 02/09/20
I don't know of any coon hunters around here anymore. The fellow that used to hunt my place died a few years ago, and he was always trying to introduce new hunters to the sport, but apparently, none became interested . We're overrun with coons here, and I usually keep traps out year round trying to keep numbers under control. I have called in a couple of them while after coyotes, but have never really specifically targeted coons, and I may have to try that sometimes.

I used to go with local guys and their hounds, and enjoyed it when I was younger. But, as I got older, and had to get up the next morning and go to work, chasing coons until midnight lost it's appeal.
Posted By: jar Re: Any coon hunters? - 02/09/20
My dad, brother and I chased a large number of hounds all over these united states for all our lives. I reached a point in my life where there wasent enough time, ( kids , self employed, other hobbies , did I say kids ) my dad was highly involved in our local ( coon club ) for over 35 yrs and did a lot of work for u.kc.. he was constantly trying to figure ways to encourage younger hunters too. my dad stayed after them old dogs right up to when he passed. my brother is still after them hard and heavy. every now and again someone will turn loose on our place , when i can I will set out on the porch or picnic table and listen to the chase and reminisce of days gone by and get a laugh or to from some old times with my dad and brother.I have thought about starting a hound but , oh the time and work involved. I just dont think I have it in me these days. but sure do miss those old times!!!
Posted By: MOGC Re: Any coon hunters? - 02/09/20
I wish there were more coon hunters. I hate the turkey egg sucking little bastards. I will kill every coon I legally am allowed.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Any coon hunters? - 03/22/20
My uncle bought my cousin a brand-new '73 Nova with money from coon hides, so she could drive it back and forth to college. He hunted coons more or less commercially. He worked his butt off all winter long, coon hunting from horseback later on. He wore out! three Nylon 66s coon hunting, and still had his fourth Nylon when he passed away about four years ago. He was still hunting coons, even after the price of coonhides went into the pits. He loved it.

I can remember seeing a newspaper article from 1956, when he and a couple of other guys got 56 coons in one night. It made the local paper, no one was working that hard at it back then.
Posted By: maddog Re: Any coon hunters? - 03/25/20
When I was a kid[16-22], I coon hunted and trapped all the time. Had a couple great blueticks. My buddy was partial to black and tans. we had 5 yrs. in a row that we caught over 100 coons/year. Fur prices then were great, and it helped pay for 1/3 of my college education.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Any coon hunters? - 04/01/20
I used to own Walkers and really enjoyed coon hunting with my brother and a few others. Nothing like running the dogs around the woods at night. Life changed and I sold them and my tracking stuff years back. The only coons I get now are the ones I trap when they start getting into my garbage.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Any coon hunters? - 05/18/20
I used to be a 5 night a week minimum coon hunter. Knees went bad,had to have full replacements about 5 years ago. Sold my hounds,tracking equipment and box. Still have my stamping machine for brass name plates,boots and lights though. Spend more time killing yotes and cats now.
But damn I sure miss the hounds
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Any coon hunters? - 06/28/20
When I was growing up, a friend and I had a rule...... Friday nites were for coon hunting or running dogs.... Saturday nite was for the girls.
Posted By: ATC Re: Any coon hunters? - 06/29/20
I grew up hunting coons with my dad and uncle. My uncle owned quite a few champion Redbones. Back then we could hunt almost anywhere and not worry about property boundaries. Nothing like the sound of those dogs hot on the trail. Unfortunately, due to changing times, I'll probably never experience those sounds again.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Any coon hunters? - 06/30/20
My grandfather was a big time coon hunter, and I went on a number of coon hunts when I was a kid, and even for a several years thereafter. The only coon hunting I do now is with a call or a trap. Very few people hunt them around here anymore, and the country is overrun with them. I've trapped 6 and called up one around my sweet corn patch over the past few weeks. About the time I think I've gotten rid of them, they start showing back up again.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Any coon hunters? - 06/30/20
james what call do you use ?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Any coon hunters? - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Whelenman
You can’t say coon!!!

that`s kinda what i thought ?

Like he!! you can't...... just gotta be careful and specify whether you're talking about the 2 or 4 legged kind.

Also,its against the law to use watermelon for bait..... for either one!
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Any coon hunters? - 07/01/20
I'm coon hunt'in right now. I'm waiting for the little buggers to show up and try to raid my garden again.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/09/20
I killed a very large coon with my pistol that was in my chicken house he would eat all the eggs and kill a chicken and eat that also..my Ruger single six ended his crap..
Posted By: OldRook Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/27/20
UKC Grand Nite Ch, PKC CH Hardwood Arizona Ranger.. He and I hunt a couple hundred nights a year and are half way serious about it. I started him from a pup, three years old now.. The GPS technology we have for hound tracking now is phenomenal.. I can sit in the buggy or truck and pretty much have a handle on his location at all times.. I've spent a good bit of time working with him and can generally tone him back from up to a mile and half.. If he's on a hot track I have to let him get treed before I turn him back, unless it's a danger situation, then a bump of electricity will stop him and turn him around right now.. Only do that in a road or crazy person house type situation.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/27/20
As a kid growing up we had a neighbor who had a small store/butcher shop. He had a couple coon hounds and would sell the meat to black people. Sometimes I waited for half an hour while he sold coon meat. Connecticut wasn’t communist then.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/28/20
As a kid, I followed my uncle and his crew around coon hunting. We rode mules while chasing the dogs most of the time. Lots of fun for 8 y/o kids riding mules at night and being the designated shooters.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/28/20
Back in the 70's my brother and I always had about a dozen or more hounds, mainly walkers for running coyotes in the winter, but also beagles and two or three coonhounds. I always favored blueticks, but the best I ever had was a little redticked English bitch. I have spent much of my life running hounds and there's nothing I like better. Times change....
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/29/20
I can vividly remember my grandma griping about the dang hunters in the backyard and grandpas response of “oh Vonnie they’re just coon hunting, leave them boys alone and listen to them hounds”

I’ve never been coon hunting in my life.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/29/20
As a kid we had two neighbors who hunted. Spent many a night with one or the other. Great memories. Have not been out in years.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by OldRook
UKC Grand Nite Ch, PKC CH Hardwood Arizona Ranger.. He and I hunt a couple hundred nights a year and are half way serious about it. I started him from a pup, three years old now.. The GPS technology we have for hound tracking now is phenomenal.. I can sit in the buggy or truck and pretty much have a handle on his location at all times.. I've spent a good bit of time working with him and can generally tone him back from up to a mile and half.. If he's on a hot track I have to let him get treed before I turn him back, unless it's a danger situation, then a bump of electricity will stop him and turn him around right now.. Only do that in a road or crazy person house type situation.

Your Walker dog looks good on the bench and lumbered up as well. Little fur hanging up,looks like he is having a good season.
Posted By: OldRook Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/30/20

Thanks Torqued.. Me and him have had a lot of fun the last three years.. He's got four litters of puppies on the way, all right around the first of the year, so we will have another project soon..
Posted By: gulo Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/30/20
Made a lot of college money in my teens hunting and trapping coons. They got big in our area and had amazing pelts by November. I could get $80 a pelt in the early '80's and there was seemingly no limit of them out there. Spent my weekends fleshing and stretching furs.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Any coon hunters? - 12/31/20
when i was a kid in the early 70s my uncle took me coon hunting first thing in the morning with 1 beagle/hound mix dog . said that why be up all nite when you could just kill them when they get home. we killed a bunch of them
Posted By: Longcarbine Re: Any coon hunters? - 05/26/21
Me and my grandson call a few in.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire