Home
Hey guys - one question if I may? I'm new to in-line M/L rifles, NOT the old original style percussion cap & flintlock. If you remove the 209 primer at the end of the day to make it safe, WHAT do you replace it with until the next day hunting?

I know something has to be put over the breech plug area w/ the hole for the 209 primer. What is used to keep the powder from getting moisture overnight? The hole HAS to be covered, does it not?

Years ago for a reg. percussion cap M/L rifle, I would just put a piece of leather over the nipple and let the hammer down on it. Always worked before, but I don't have room for anything like that now w/ the modern in-line system.

Any thoughts or answers would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Sincerely,
Brittman
How about a spent primer?
I have some little plastic caps, originally for protecting the ends of fiber-optic cables. The small ones work well, on caplocks too.
Originally Posted by Brittman
Hey guys - one question if I may? I'm new to in-line M/L rifles, NOT the old original style percussion cap & flintlock. If you remove the 209 primer at the end of the day to make it safe, WHAT do you replace it with until the next day hunting?

I know something has to be put over the breech plug area w/ the hole for the 209 primer. What is used to keep the powder from getting moisture overnight? The hole HAS to be covered, does it not?

Years ago for a reg. percussion cap M/L rifle, I would just put a piece of leather over the nipple and let the hammer down on it. Always worked before, but I don't have room for anything like that now w/ the modern in-line system.

Any thoughts or answers would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Sincerely,
Brittman

I never have worried about it and Ive not had any issues with moisture. I think we sometimes overthink these type things.
[quote=Highoctane I never have worried about it and Ive not had any issues with moisture. I think we sometimes overthink these type things.
[/quote]
Same here. My inline either goes in the scabbard in the tent or in the stock trailer and during the day when I am riding to and from, it is in the scabbard unprimed with no problems to date. I have rode in some pretty nasty rain storms with just the pauncho draped over the scabbard and it fired when I needed it too
Normally I use an old ear plug, cut off a section and place that over the nipple and either lower the hammer or close the action on to it, depending what rifle i am using.
Thank you guys! I appreciate your feedback on my question. As of right now, I think I will use 'smokepoles' suggestion of a spent primer - to fill in the primer hole.

When I would use my old percussion GRRW Hawken, I would normally place a piece of leather over the nipple overnight and was good to go the next morning.

Thanks again for your comments and taking the time to answer my question. Maybe I was concerned more than I should have been..?

Best of luck to you all in the field this coming fall season!

Brittman
© 24hourcampfire