Home
Posted By: DeanAnderson Neat old powder can - 10/28/20
Helping to clean out the basement and garage of an old time shooter/reloader and came across this old powder can stashed in a box down in the basement. There's about a third of the powder left in it, no idea if the powder is what originally came in the can. But it's in pretty good shape.... wonder how old it is? Any thoughts? Judging by the price tag on it, I think it's been a while.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: Neat old powder can - 10/29/20
That is pretty cool. I can't make a guess at the age with any certainty but the price sticker would give someone a clue maybe. No idea when stickers came into common use. Mid 40's maybe?
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Neat old powder can - 10/29/20
I have a can just like that! No price tag on mine though.
It is still full of powder, 3ffg. Only "date" that I can give is that
it was given to me by a WWII veteran who said it came from his Father.
Posted By: Joe Re: Neat old powder can - 10/29/20
Pretty sure it's a reproduction can DuPont came out with in the 1970's and the price tag leads credence to the timeline.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Neat old powder can - 10/29/20
That makes sense going by what everything else looks like in the basement I'm going through...
that's cool. I still have a 5 pound metal keg of Red Dot. No idea how old it is.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Neat old powder can - 10/29/20
Not that long ago, I used up an 8 pound yellow can of military surplus 4831 my dad got back in the 60's! Used it up in my 03's and 03-A3's in classic battle rifle matches.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Neat old powder can - 11/03/20
Originally Posted by Joe
Pretty sure it's a reproduction can DuPont came out with in the 1970's and the price tag leads credence to the timeline.

I think it's earlier than that. I started shooting blackpowder in the late 70's and a pound of powder was north of $5 IRRC
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Neat old powder can - 11/03/20
Dupont plant exploded sometime around 1972ish. I was paying $3 for a pound then. I want to say they used those type of cans until the late 40’s early 50’s.
© 24hourcampfire