Home
Posted By: lightning Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/19/21
Went up to a small mom and pop gun store today in Sarasota after calling and finding out they had a few containers of Blackhorn 209 powder in stock. While I was there I asked if they had any 209 Primers. Well, they had a brand I've never heard of, "Cheddite", so I bought a pack. Anyone have any experience with them in a Muzzleloader? Hoping they work in my Omega with Blackhorn powder. Thanks.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/19/21
20 years ago that is all we shot, you could get them cheaper than Winchester’s. The gun club I shot at would buy from Grafs and sell no cost to us. It’s hard telling how many thousand Cheddite primers got shot at that club and I never heard a complaint. I still have 1000 and if I ever start shooting trap and skeet again I will use them. I’ve been using them in my CVA Optima and haven’t had any problems yet.
Posted By: lightning Re: Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/19/21
Thanks MadDog, that is certainly encouraging. I just found an article online that mentioned they work well with BH209, as they run a little hotter than most 209 primers. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/20/21
Randy Wakeman, IIRC, recommended those, or at least commented that they were waterproofed. I bought a brick earlier this year, but they’re not a great fit in my Knight. My Strike is a bit more forgiving, so now that it’s out of consignment jail, I’ll try them in that. Of course I could list them on GB and buy something nice with the proceeds.😛
Posted By: lightning Re: Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/20/21
I read that also Pappy. The do have a red coating of some sort on the business end. I'll let you know how they work with the TC, I'll be shooting it tomorrow.
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/20/21
I've shot thousands of them through a shotgun, I'd reccomend finding a pack or two of fed 209a for the blackhorn. That's the primer blackhorn recommends. I've used cheddittes on blackhorn and never had a misfire. Ymmv
Posted By: lightning Re: Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/24/21
Finally got to shoot the ML today, and the Cheddite primers worked perfectly. I read somewhere that there might be a problem removing the spent primer, but I had no trouble at all. Accuracy was very consistent, so I’m happy to have found them.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Cheddite 209 primers? - 01/25/21
You should be glad. Hard to do much chootin’ without primers!
© 24hourcampfire