Home
Does anyone have any experience with these muzzle-loaders?? I'm thinking about buying a flintlock but I know little to nothing about their quality. Any input would be apprieciated.
<br>
<br>Thanx
<br>
<br>George
<br>
I have no experience with the Cabelas Hawken. It does look very similar to the Hawken sold by Dixie Gun Works in their catalog, but they list for $265 in there, so maybe not.
<br>
<br>I did just buy a CVA St Louis Hawken in flint about a month ago. I'm very happy with it. Shoots everything (rd balls, sabots, maxi balls and buffalo bullets) very well. It's a 1:48 twist.
<br>
<br> I give 250 for it, but if you shop around, you may beat that. (The guy just opened up the Gun Shop, so I didn't look around too much. I'd like to see him do good.)
<br>
<br>The only other Hawken I looked at was a Traditions. They're priced a little cheaper, but the over-all quality wasn't as good as CVA, IMHO.
<br>
<br>Good luck in whatever you decide to get. Let is know how you like it. My brother is talking about getting into ML too, so I'd appreciate your input.
<br>7mm
Does anyone know who makes the Hawken rifle for cabelas?
<br>
<br>George
<br>
avagadro
<br>
<br>Investarms from Spain if I remember right. They are the same people that manufacture for Lyman. If you get the chance compare the Lyman Great Plains rifle to the Cabela's offering it is identical in the lock and trigger. The only real difference is the barrel length and twist. Naturally the furniture is obviously different. The Lyman Deerstalker I think is the exact equivalent to the Cabela's and about the same price. The Cabela's "Sporterized" version is the same rifle with a recoil pad, blued furniture and sling swivels. May be a shade lighter than the Hawken.
<br>
<br>Pat
George
<br>
<br>I should have finished the thought. Old age is taking my mind. The quality of these rifles is quite a bit above the CVA, Traditions lines. I had a GPR in .54 percussion with the 1-60 twist (it is now offered in1-32 also) It shot a .535 round ball in a .015 patch over 110 gr FFg black powder very well. IMHO the Lyman(Investarms) is on a par with TC Hawken. I have owned both and could not tell an oz. worthof difference.
<br>
<br>Pat
© 24hourcampfire