Home
I got my BIG .50 Cal on Steel at 1,200 YARDS this morning, 3 Consecutive Hits on my 20” Plate 👍

The Video

My Rifle, Rice Barrel Co. 32” inch 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Barrel, In a TC Hawken Stock, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule Tang Sight, and Lee Shaver front sight (non adjustable) With Lee Shaver inserts
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bullets, I chose my 610 Grain BACO Grease Groove for this Shoot (Mold i had Made) I cast these of Certified 1-20 Alloy, Lubed with my “Modified“ Bullshop NASA Lube

Back when i Chronographed this Load

Ranged with my Leica 1600B Rangefinder, and Google Earth Shot in Yards, This is a TRUE 1,200 YARDS

A look from my Rifle, That is a VERY small Target with Open/Peep Sights for this Kind of Distance, My Entire Target (White Backing) is ONLY 3 Ft By 3Ft Square. My Steel Plate is 20 inch Square, 1/2” AR500 Plate, It weighs 60 Pounds

My 3 Consecutive Hits, Shots Number 3 & 4 are Very visible, 5th and Final Shot Just Cuts the Right side of the Plate

5th and final Shot up Close, Cuts the edge of the plate, exits the Cardboard Backing

What I could find of my Bullets, Even at 1,200 Yards They stil hit with SERIOUS authority!! They are Splattered to Pieces
Wow, outstanding!!

That is Amazing, shooting, with an Amazing rifle & Bullet. Rio7
With those kind of sights, I doubt that I could make out the target, much less hit it. miles
Awesome shooting IdahoLewis. Always blown away by your Bullets, rifles and shooting buddy. Motivating.
Thank you Guy’s, This stuff is a LOT of fun to do. The BIG .50s Deserve to Play as well, They are every bit as capable as the .45s Long Range, They just require a Bit more MOA to get there, And punch the shoulder a might Harder 🙂

Idaholewis, Are you using a post front site? Rio7
Rice makes great muzzloader barrels! Great shooting!
Idholewis, I[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We shoot to 1800 yards on or range, BUT we cheat and use a more modern rifle and a good scope, I have much respect for your shooting. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

I'd also like to hear more detail on your front sight inserts that you use for this kind of shooting.
Idaholewis that is some outstanding steel ringing .you have that stuff down to an art keep at it how about 1500yards grin
Originally Posted by RIO7

No, it is called a 17 Series Globe made by Lee Shaver, I also use lee Shaver inserts in the Globe 👍

This is my Sight Setup, Except the rifle in this 1,200 Yard shoot doesn’t have this adjustable windage front Sight, I have this adjustable Front on 1 of my .45s

This is the Front sight i have on the Rifle above, (.850 High) Lee Shaver 17 Series, with Spirit Level

And my inserts, These fit 17 Series Globes. I carry them in a Simple Fly Box

That is cool as Hell, Thanks for your Reply. Rio7
Awesome! Did you have the rear sight made?
Originally Posted by rickt300
Awesome! Did you have the rear sight made?

No, It is a Lee Shaver “Economy Grade” Long Range Soule sight for Muzzleloaders, with his Hadley Eye Cup. I have 2 of these, His “Super Grade” was my 1st one, and then his “Economy Grade” There are very little Differences in them, The Super Grade has a Little stiffer Spring Setup, Finished a little nicer, and comes with a Hadley Eye Cup. I switch the Hadley Eye Cup back n forth Between the 2 Sights 👍

Economy Grade
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/for-muzzleloader-rifles-1/

Super Grade
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/for-muzzleloader-rifles/
Awesome!!
LOL, fun stuff that sadly only a few will get to experience, breaking the shot, getting out of the rifle and into the spotter or binocular to see the bullet slam home is something that has to be experienced first hand, simply no way to accurately explain it. smile

Great shooting IL.
The best, smoothest (flintlock) ML barrel I ever had was a Rice. I hated to sell it, but was too long for me. Still miss it.
Unreal.

I couldn't see that at 1200 yards.

Couldn't hit it if I could.
Damn! What's the drop at 1200 with that setup???
Measured in MOA?
Or Minutes of flight?
Great shooting been following you for a year or so like what u do with all your guns
Originally Posted by savage62
Great shooting been following you for a year or so like what u do with all your guns

Thank you 👍
© 24hourcampfire