Home
Posted By: nimrodtracy MAG-SPARK™? - 05/31/21
Has anyone used this with BH 209 powder?

https://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html
Posted By: benchman Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 05/31/21
Never used one with BH 209. My Hawken rifles don't have enough clearance to use the safety position on the hammer. No go, for me. I have one somewhere....
Posted By: EdMehlig Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 06/22/21
How many shots will it last before the flash hole gets too large? Do they sell replacement nipples?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 06/22/21
a solution looking for a problem!
Posted By: TCK Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 06/23/21
Got a friend with one.
He has a expert grade kit rifle he built and I think he drilled a few things not quite exact.
The hammer does not fall flush on the nipple.
He had very inconsistent ignition with #11 caps.
Using Pyrodex, 777, or Black MZ.
Using this system, never a misfire.
However he does not want to use this system.
So recently he took his rifle apart and is going to improve it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 06/23/21
Simpler solution? Black powder.
Posted By: TCK Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 06/23/21
I agree Dan. This guy is like "Rancid Crabtree" never saw something he thinks he can improve.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 06/24/21
i have a cap lock that the hammer strike's the cap with the edge of the cup. still fires the cap. if i use (which i haven't for years) a bp substitute, the ignition is spotty. Use Holy Black and never a misfire.
a friend that i turned on to BP shooting thought he would repay me with a pound of 777. it sits on the back of the shelf.
Posted By: Muddly Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 11/18/21
Not a new idea. Ned Roberts, in his book " The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle " mentions a shockingly similar device, using rifle primers, back in the 1880s!
Solomon was right " Verily, there is nothing new under the sun"...
Posted By: retrieverman Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 11/19/21
I have a ton of 209 primers and no #11 caps, so I bought a Mag Spark when I bought my first traditional muzzleloader last year. It works great.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 11/19/21
I bought one during a previous dearth, so I could be certain of having a spark source. Never used it, and sold it here when I scored a supply of musket caps. Looked like quality goods.
Posted By: walkerman Re: MAG-SPARK™? - 01/29/22
I've used one for years works great with BH209 in my Hawkins 54... I've never even had a hang fire
© 24hourcampfire