Home
Posted By: 1Longbow Another Black Horn ? - 07/06/21
To those of you that are shooting Black Horn, are you weighing your charges or loading by volume. Is one better than the other? Thank you
Posted By: Terryk Re: Another Black Horn ? - 07/06/21
I weigh and put powder in speed loaders. Easy to do, and then it is faster to shoot or hunt.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Another Black Horn ? - 07/06/21
I do the same, for convenience, not because I think it’s much better, if at all. I think Toby Bridges did a comparison test that showed it was a toss-up.

I put the tubes in a loading block, then use my Chargemaster Lite to weigh them out. Dump, cap, wait for the next one.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Another Black Horn ? - 07/06/21
I only use volume.If I put a scope on my Impact to check loads, it will do a little better than 1&1/2 " at 100. If I am out hunting and something happens to my premeasured loads, I want to be able to load some more.I don't carry a scale with me.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Another Black Horn ? - 07/06/21

I weigh mine and put in speed loaders.
Posted By: kciH Re: Another Black Horn ? - 08/01/21
It's a toss up as far as accuracy. The chrono favors the weighed charges, not that it really matters. I do it for the convenience.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Another Black Horn ? - 08/10/21

Ive weighed it and loaded by volume. I have found no difference in accuracy at 100 yds. Differences may show up at distances farther but where I hunt I seldom get shots over 125 yds, with the vast majority within 75.
Posted By: Blueboy Re: Another Black Horn ? - 08/10/21
1Longbow, go on the Blackhorn site and puil up load data...will give you what each vol. verses weight. Now, when you open a can of Blackhorn the lot # is on each can, and the weight by Volume will be different on each lot, so every time you start with a new can you need to remember this and record it down. Example, I am using a can lot # 29 and the blackhorn site says 100 vol.. will weigh 70 grains, but when I weigh out 100 vol. it weighs 79.6 grains...so I just use this info when am loading up loads. Just be sure you know what your can is giving you in volume and weight and go from there.
© 24hourcampfire