Home
Posted By: benchman Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
120 or so pounds. About 70 yards in a field. Kinda hard to find, as she did not bleed that much. Had to shoot a little high to get over the weeds. She went about 150 yards. Took her a while to fill up. 50 cal. Cabelas Hawken, with an offset Leupold 3x9. 240 gr XTP over 100 gr loose 777.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
pictures man!, pictures!

congratulations!
Posted By: benchman Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by deerstalker
pictures man!, pictures!

congratulations!

Thanks. Added a pic....
Posted By: 30338 Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
Nice, should eat good. Amazing it could go that far.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
Nice one, looks like she should have dropped where she stood.
Originally Posted by 30338
Nice, should eat good. Amazing it could go that far.

It was a little high, but yeah. She didn't run, either. I think I hit her left shoulder blade, and it hurt...
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Nice one, looks like she should have dropped where she stood.

I guess about an inch higher, and I would have hit the neck vertebrae . Made sure I got some lungs.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
What's that thing on toppa yer rifle lol
Posted By: rong Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
That'll work,fill the freezer.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

That there, is a I can't see anymore tool...still use a peep ok, but I use a scope when it is allowed. The setup is pretty nice. Traditions performance firearms offset mount. I don't think they make them anymore. I have a couple of spares...
Posted By: 30338 Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/18/21
Same reason some are moving that rear sight farther up the barrel lol. We all adjust as needed. Got any buck tags coming up?
Originally Posted by 30338
Same reason some are moving that rear sight farther up the barrel lol. We all adjust as needed. Got any buck tags coming up?

Yup, but not this early season. Gonna use the 1959 Savage 99EG, in .308 in rifle season, and the Lyman Deerstalker . 50 flintlock, in flintlock season, if I still have a buck tag. I have a Leupold 3x9 on the Savage, and a Lyman peep on the Deerstalker.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/19/21
Thought about using the Hawken in Dec if I still have a tag but may pull out the 6.5-284. Hope you roll a good one.
Posted By: benchman Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/19/21
👍
Posted By: barnabus Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/20/21

I just dont get putting a scope on a side lock SMH
Posted By: benchman Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by barnabus

I just dont get putting a scope on a side lock SMH

Well, I can't see that well. I have other sidelocks with peeps, when the scope isn't legal. The real problem is seeing the sights in low light, and also making sure I'm only shooting at a legal deer. This was about 82 yards (measured it yesterday), and the light was good. I could clearly see she was a legal doe. That is not always the case .
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by benchman

Very cool.

Cabelas Hawken, nice. 777. What ignition cap are you using? No.11? Musket? Have you had any difficulty igniting 777, or any hang fires?

I'm thinking of switching to loose 777 in my Hawken. The Winchester No.11 magnum caps I use make a helluva fire.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by benchman

Very cool.

Cabelas Hawken, nice. 777. What ignition cap are you using? No.11? Musket? Have you had any difficulty igniting 777, or any hang fires?

I'm thinking of switching to loose 777 in my Hawken. The Winchester No.11 magnum caps I use make a helluva fire.

I use RWS musket caps on this one, but CCI #11 on my wife's. Hang fires, or failure to fire? Occasionally, I guess, at the range, but only once at a deer. That's out of over a hundred deer....the biggest problem with 777 is the crud ring. I had 2 days where I shot 6 deer each day. I was getting a tad worried about cleanliness...I usually clean every shot if I'm being picky, or every 3, if I'm not. You have to make sure the ramrod is indexed for full seating of the load, if you are shooting much. Oddly enough, I had more problems lighting Pyrodex than I do with 777. Not supposed to be that way.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Nice doe this morning! - 10/20/21
I don't have any issues lighting Pryodex with No.11 magnum primers in my Hawken. I can seem to get it lit with el weako CCI musket caps, too, in my inline.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I don't have any issues lighting Pryodex with No.11 magnum primers in my Hawken. I can seem to get it lit with el weako CCI musket caps, too, in my inline.

Haha! Yeah, those musket caps are horrible in the Hawken!
© 24hourcampfire