Home
Posted By: ihookem real black in an inline. - 01/19/23
I sure read a lot about inlines using this or that powder, but does anyone ever use just plain good old black powder in your inlines? I have had an inline for over 20 yrs, but have not shot it since I bought my TC Hawken. I have some substitute black , but it likely is not good anymore cause its about 6 yrs old, but black ,,,, seems to just last forever and seems to work so well.
Posted By: WMR Re: real black in an inline. - 01/20/23
Originally Posted by ihookem
I sure read a lot about inlines using this or that powder, but does anyone ever use just plain good old black powder in your inlines? I have had an inline for over 20 yrs, but have not shot it since I bought my TC Hawken. I have some substitute black , but it likely is not good anymore cause its about 6 yrs old, but black ,,,, seems to just last forever and seems to work so well.

Black powder is all I use. Like you say, it keeps forever. I don’t see any advantage for Pyrodex. Some of the newer substitutes are said to be less corrosive. I am fairly diligent with cleaning my ML’s and the bore on my 30 y/o Knight looks new.
I have shot Black Powder, 777, Pyrodex and BH 209 in my TC Impact. Bh209 seems a little hotter than Black. 90gr of Black gives me the same POI a 80gr of BH209 with a 50 cal Powerbelt, 348 gr. I won't use 777 or Pyrodex

I have a little bit of BH209 left and about a half jug Black. With BH209 going for $60 for8 ounces, I will be using Black in 2023 if I can make the hunt at 80 years old.
Posted By: Potsy Re: real black in an inline. - 01/20/23
Goes FF, 270SAA, black sabot, and German musket caps is all my old BK92 gets fed.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: real black in an inline. - 01/20/23
Swiss 2F shoots fine from my CVA with both TC and Barnes sabots... I just hate the cleanup. If I ever run out of B209 (which is unlikely) I'll probably just shoot plain old FFg black in it.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: real black in an inline. - 03/05/23
I used to shoot an inline with BP. No issues.
Posted By: Muddly Re: real black in an inline. - 03/08/23
Swiss 3f does it for me. It's all I feed my Firehawk, 2 percussion sidelocks and 4 flintlocks. Keeps forever, easy to light and less expensive than BH209
Swiss and a nice fat conical still works great even in an inline.
In my experience, black ignites easier and more consistently than substitutes. The downside with large charges would be that BP leaves 51% of itself behind as fouling solids. Blowing down the barrel before reloading helps soften the residue.
Posted By: Muddly Re: real black in an inline. - 03/11/23
Swabbing between shots is a far better way to control fouling. Little effort for a much greater return.
I did that sometimes. I found it more expedient once an animal was down, to just blow down the bore, and reload as quickly as possible.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: real black in an inline. - 03/11/23
GOEX and barrel swabbed with T/C 1000+ allows easy reloading for many shots more than you will ever nedd in the field. On the range, a brush and a patch with 1000+ every couple of shots does well
Posted By: T_O_M Re: real black in an inline. - 03/12/23
I've never owned an inline but I don't see any reason not to use "real black" in one.

I've never noticed any difference in corrosiveness between "real black" and substitutes. If you have to think about that, you're doing something wrong. I simply clean my gun at the end of the day. There's no time for corrosion to occur and nothing to corrode with .. unless you're leaving your gun dirty.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: real black in an inline. - 03/14/23
I have used regular black powder in several inlines. Really it is not much different than the substitutes other than you will need to immediately clean the rifle after shooting it, that night anyway. Some of the substitutes are not any more corrosive than smokeless and I find this a big plus.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: real black in an inline. - 03/14/23
MK-85 inline 54 cal Real Goex FFG is all it gets. 120grs per miniball from track of the wolf. Shoots surprisingly good groups
Posted By: pacecars Re: real black in an inline. - 03/14/23
I used black in all my White Rifles Super 98s
Posted By: tomme boy Re: real black in an inline. - 03/16/23
pyrodex is way more corrosive than real black.
© 24hourcampfire