Home
I am looking for a little knowledge about something that I have never seen before. It appears to be a percussion double barrel 40 gauge shotgun. The two barrels are 32" in length, octagon profile and appear to be of conventional steel construction. There is a stamping on barrels "Made in Belgium" and some proof markings underneath. When measuring the bores with a micrometer gauge, the measure right at .488" which converts to 40 gauge. It has shotgun rib with a simple brass bead out front. The gun feels light and trim, feels good coming up. Weighs a little less than 4-1/2 pounds. Click on link below to see a few pictures.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...5/40ga-black-powder-shotgun#Post18431005
Interesting. Looks modern, and the steel barrels seem modern--Belgium was the world capital of laminated barrels (twist, "Damascus" etc) for a long time, and one might expect an inexpensive pre-WWII Belgian gun to have those instead of solid steel.

If you can post a real close-up of the proofmarks on the barrel bottoms and any others you see, somebody here may be able to get you more info like DOM and maker or at least the barrel maker. If you get no joy here, try posting on www.doublegunshop.com/BBS (or if I got the URL wrong, do a search for doublegunshop and look for the BBS forum). Lots of really serious doublegun nerds there, and likely a Belgian one or so.

Neat little gun; thanks for posting!
Thank you for the reply. I added a couple of additional pictures, one showing the proof marks and another showing where it was signed in 1957 by "Ronnie Tidwell" in Union City TN. The gun really is light and weighs a little less than 4-1/2 pounds. I have been thinking about selling it and really would like to figure out what it is before doing that.
Neat gun....I really like the barrels !
Finding the right wads and shooting it would be interesting.

DF
Order an arc punch the size of your bore and make your wads and cards. A half ounce of shot and an equal volume of black powder would be a good starting point.
I have been trying to thin down my collection and decided to put this gun up for sale and listed it on Guns International under Muzzleloading Shotguns.
What you asking?

DF
I couldn’t find it in Guns International. Could you provide a link? Thanks
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...hotgun.cfm?gun_id=102313211&cdn_bp=1
I sincerely appreciate everyones input on this shotgun. I took this shotgun to a local gun show this past weekend and sold it after getting lots of interest.
© 24hourcampfire