Home
Posted By: Troutnut TC Hawken 50 - 06/23/23
Helping my girlfriend's dad clean out a house he inherited. Lot of stuff is going to a local auction service but he said if I see anything I need to help myself. Found some ammo , gun cases and such. Then Found a green box under a bed and pulled this out. I was expecting a cheap version and suprised to see a Thompson center hawken.
It appears to have been shot very little. Clean , no rust , set trigger and a patch down the bore comes out clean.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: beretzs Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/23/23
Wow, I'd say you won the clean up lotto!

50 caliber Hawken.. Don't get no better. At least that is how Jeremiah put it! whistle
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/23/23
Very sweet find! I’ve had one of those since 1979. 80 grains of FFG and a patched round ball.

Ron
Posted By: desertshooter Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/23/23
Very Nice!
Posted By: T Bone Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/23/23
You're obligated to marry her now.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/23/23
Never heard the term "cheap" and TC in the muzzleloader world.

Killer find.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/23/23
Originally Posted by T Bone
Oh hell no. Been there twice, won't be a 3rd time. 🤣

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Never heard the term "cheap" and TC in the muzzleloader world.

Killer find.

Well I didn't recognize the box at first until I got it out and looked at the barrel.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/24/23
Had one just like it. Very nice find!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by T Bone
Oh hell no. Been there twice, won't be a 3rd time. 🤣

Hey, nobody likes a quitter. You’re just starting to get the hang of it. Third time’s the charm, etc etc.😜
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by beretzs

50 caliber Hawken.. Don't get no better. At least that is how Jeremiah put it! whistle

Only if it was a .54 cal T/C Hawken instead! 🤠
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Nice score Troutnut !
Posted By: johnn Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/24/23
Nice!
Good snag. I’d recommend that you remove the lock and oil it. Caps can be hard to find now, and BP. This place near Winchester can hook you up.

http://blackpowderva.com/
Posted By: jeeper Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Good snag. I’d recommend that you remove the lock and oil it. Caps can be hard to find now, and BP. This place near Winchester can hook you up.

Powder Valley has RWS #11 caps for around $50 for 250. What a bargain. LOL. I am using small pistol primers for practice shooting sessions. Using 1/4 " OD clear vinyl tubing cut around .300 long to hold primer over nipple. 100% success rate. Will save my caps for hunting or for pistols. Tubing idea doesn't work for all pistols. Colt Navy is a no go because nipples are so close to frame.
That place I mentioned is local for me and maybe for Troutnut as well, so no HAZMAT. I paid $45 IIRC at my LGS a couple of years ago for 250 #11s, the first I’d seen, just to flesh out my supply a bit. I have plenty of musket caps and am using 209s with a Mag Spark with BH209 in my Renegade. Having options is good in these troubled times.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thanks. Yeah they're about 90 minutes north of me. I'm just east of Harrisonburg. But I get up that way some
Posted By: Kelljp Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/28/23
Sweet, save the box as that adds value to the rifle ( usually the serial number is on the box, don't be surprised if it is handwritten). These guns have become quite collectable since S&W has ran the company in the ditch.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/28/23
Originally Posted by Kelljp
Sweet, save the box as that adds value to the rifle ( usually the serial number is on the box, don't be surprised if it is handwritten). These guns have become quite collectable since S&W has ran the company in the ditch.
Yeah I don't always save boxes but I'll hang onto this one
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/29/23
Good score troutnut.mb
Posted By: Edm1 Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/29/23
Great find. Had mine since I was 14.
Posted By: jeeper Re: TC Hawken 50 - 06/29/23
Love my TC Hawken 50 cal. Shoot some 25 gr. plinking loads in the backyard every week.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: TC Hawken 50 - 07/04/23

Got a 50 and a 54. Both love 105 grains of bp behind a No Excuses conical. The market on those has shot up significantly lately. $600-$700 rifles there in like new condition.
Posted By: GoexWhiteHots Re: TC Hawken 50 - 07/04/23
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Got a 50 and a 54. Both love 105 grains of bp behind a No Excuses conical. The market on those has shot up significantly lately. $600-$700 rifles there in like new condition.

A 400gr No Excuse bullet with 105gr powder and no recoil pad?....... ouchie.

I found my best (shoulder & accuracy) 110-120 yard load with that bullet to be 80gr of Goex.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: TC Hawken 50 - 07/05/23
Nice score Troutnut! Any way to tell how old it is? Enjoy!
Posted By: Troutnut Re: TC Hawken 50 - 07/05/23
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Nice score Troutnut! Any way to tell how old it is? Enjoy!
Thanks. I really don't know and have no way of finding out
© 24hourcampfire