Home
I am going to replace my damaged Daly hawken .50 barrel. The barrel seems to be the same used in older CVAs, with a button breech instead of a hook breech.
I can find hook breech barrels that APPEAR to have the
same proportions ( drum location, underlug, etc. )
Am I correct that I would have to replace the tang to match
a hooked breech , if I found a barrel that otherwise matches
at the barrel underlug?
These spanish button breech barrels are very scarce, it seems.
yep you would have to replace the tang so it matched the new hooked breech.

so happens i have a 50 cal CVA spanish barrel out in the shop . its still in the white , never mounted to a rifle
I can't imagine finding one to fit perfectly. The simpler solution is to take the hooked breech off your old rifle, fit it to a new barrel and add a new underlug.

Brent
I am afraid I damaged the breech on that barrel. I am
getting a new rifle, but still want to salvage this one due to sentimental reasons. And it seems a guy can't have too many rifles.
Cutting the dovetail slot for the underlug would be a major challenge for me. The one on it now is centered 8 3/16 " from
the breech end of the barrel.
[img:center]http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/babbitslinger/hawken/[/img]
[Linked Image]
I can't imagine finding one to fit perfectly. The simpler solution is to take the hooked breech off your old rifle, fit it to a new barrel and add a new underlug.

Brent

well as to the first partr , it would depend brent .

2nd part . if its like a CVA it wont work , CVA breech plugs are not strait , they have a slight tapper to aid in the meachine fitting
they also are metric threaded .
so getting it to fit a new barrel will be an issue

as to the measurment . ill have to check it and see . all the dove tails are cut and the barrel is drilled for the underrib which also comes with the barrel . it also has the drum bolster

Ok good morning
Sorry I was dragging last night and was on my way to bed when I posted .
So let me clarify .
The way Jukar � Spanish manufacture for CVA in Spain� set their breech plugs and bolsters is by machine. The the plug had a taper to it . The threads are also metric .
. The Button is nothing more then a way to set the barrel to the tank IE it�s a type of hook breech . Modifying that tang to fit a different hook breech is not a simple thing to do . It can be done but its not simple .
So your options IMO would be either find another factory barrel that will fit or get a new hook breeched barrel and have the dove tails cut , under rib installed and the matching tang inlet into your stock .
This may be you best option because the Bolster can then be drilled to match the fall of your lock . Where as if you get a factory CVA barrel , its bolster will already be drilled to match the nipple to their lock .
Now one could say well ,,,, Cap . I can change out the bolster .
Well the issue comes in that CVA uses a unique type of drum bolster . Finding a blank one is near impossible .
The other Plus to what Brent was talking about is that If your wanting to shoot conicals . Then you can also chose a barrel that will have a better twist rate .
Not to mention having a much better . Higher quality barrel to begin with .
© 24hourcampfire