Home
Posted By: Brute 700 ML ignition problems - 11/09/10
A friend (?) gave me a blued Rem 700 ML cause he couldn't get it to group to suit him. I can't get it to fire consistently. I'm using BH 209 and a Win. 209 primer.Primer fires fine every time, but ignition is about every other try. Everything is clean and clear ,so I'm a little perplexed. Also if it matters I'm using the factory breech plug and striker combo that came with the rifle ,new. Any suggestions?
Brute

The 700ML has a "vented" primer pocket and that is your problem.

If you read the back of the BH container it will explain the different type of breech plugs/primer pocket types. Not sure what the fix is for this. Maybe someone here will have a suggestion.

Otherwise, two Pyrodex pellets and a Barnes MZ expander worked very well for me.

WN
Posted By: Brute Re: 700 ML ignition problems - 11/12/10
I've got a non vented 209 nipple but don't know for sure if the vented nipple screws out of the breech plug or if it's all one piece. Tried to unscrew the nipple but it's tight enough that I'm afraid of wringing it off. Info/Suggestions ?

Thanks,

Brute
1. western powders recommends the federal 209M (magnum) primer.
2. email/call western powders. they have good customer service and will tell you exactly why you're having problems.

they offered to drill out the flash hole on my knight for free. some breech plugs don't work well with BH209 because of the shape of the powder granules.
Posted By: POPPY Re : 270 wsm rifle - 12/19/10
Is anybody have a 270 wsm rifle for sale?
Posted By: maddog Re: Re : 270 wsm rifle - 12/19/10
Originally Posted by POPPY
Is anybody have a 270 wsm rifle for sale?

Ahh dude,unless yer makin a joke that I don't get, I think you've posted this in the wrong forum....whistle

maddog
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Re : 270 wsm rifle - 12/19/10
that'd be a CCI 209M primer they recommend.

700 breech plug isnt designed for BH209.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 700 ML ignition problems - 12/30/10
FWIW, when I got a 700 ML, I called Remington and asked about changing the nipple to either musket caps or 209 primers. The guy who I spoke to told me that 209 primers can actually push the load forward in the barrel before igniting the powder or pellets, so he recommended using musket caps. I bought mine from GPC for about $6 each.

Jeff
209 primers work fine. BH209 won't work very well in a 700ML.
© 24hourcampfire